East TN Coaching Changes

SGHSAlum93

I know, I was responding to a comment that someone said about Duncan being the only one. I've taught in Knox County for almost 20 years and I could have sworn it was a rule that AD/Administrators could not be head coaches, but I could very well be wrong.

They are the only two, and as I understand it, there was an "unwritten policy" that administrators couldn't be head coaches until it was challenged by those two.  Again, as I understand it, they are grandfathered in their positions, and there is now a written policy that doesn't allow it any longer.  

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct. Meant to include him in the adminnstrator category.

But the bottom line is that he, like Clark Duncan, is an assistant principal and AD.

The point was that non-certified personnel aren't head coaches in football or basketball in Knox County.

I thought the TSSAA had in its bylaws that to be a head coach in football and basketball you have to be a certified teacher or at least working towards certification. Can anyone verify this?

I thought the TSSAA had in its bylaws that to be a head coach in football and basketball you have to be a certified teacher or at least working towards certification. Can anyone verify this?

It has been explained to me that one has to be certified or a retired certified educator by TSSAA requirements, but one doesn't have to be an active teacher.  

The indiviual school systems can have additional policies in place, as does Knox County.  

I've heard that too.

Homerun for Union County if true.  Halls and Gibbs should be worried if he is back.  All those dads that played at Halls and still live in Halls will want their kid to play for him.  If this is true, UC will be moving a positive direction as Coach Kerr has demonstrated over time that he can build a program.  Will wait for an announcement, but if this is true, great job to UC for going out and getting a coach that has been there and done that.  He has won every where he has been.  

Homerun for Union County if true.  Halls and Gibbs should be worried if he is back.  All those dads that played at Halls and still live in Halls will want their kid to play for him.  If this is true, UC will be moving a positive direction as Coach Kerr has demonstrated over time that he can build a program.  Will wait for an announcement, but if this is true, great job to UC for going out and getting a coach that has been there and done that.  He has won every where he has been.  

With other peoples players.  

Olhick, you guys gonna put CC back on the schedule next year?