Oakland vs. Maryville

GoPats2019

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen both play.  Granted, I didn't get to see the starters for too long but I have at least seen them.  Between the lines, Oakland has more talent.  They look like a small college team.  However, Maryville is Maryville.  And that is why Maryville will win.  This is just another game for Maryville. They won't be any more hyped up than they need to be.  George will do his thing and get the win, because that's "what they do."  I do think it will be a relatively low scoring affair.

Maryville 21

Oakland 20

Maryville blocks the potential tying extra point with 1 second left.

Have never seen Oakland play, but in last weeks game they made Science Hill look like a middle school, and not a very good one at that:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmQwfxt2zYg

Watched Maryville twice (Fulton and DB) and, compared to prior Maryville teams, this team just does not look that good.   But then you look at the scoreboard at the end and sort of scratch your head, where did all those points come from?     And then you look at the 13-0 record....

It would appear that Oakland has way more raw talent, but Maryville counters with being Maryville.  I'm taking the Rebels in a close one.   Hoping to get down there to see it.

piggyback off what you said, this game would been a classic with Maryville last years team or the '14 rebs team against this year Oakland team. This year this game is fools gold - living off Maryville reputation and mystique. If neither team had a name label, plain uni and u watch both, then this game wouldn't have all that hype build up. 1 team is on a different level. I'm not going to say too much cause i know the rebels fans really have their hearts set on a Maryville win. But this game going to get ugly - out of hand, and the rebels fans will learn that you can't live off reputation. Maryville success in the past were different players, different teams, this is a whole different team playing today.

As RW would say, No cookies for you.

What makes Oakland appear to be on a different level? Yall know Maryville hasn't lost to a Rutherford Co. Team ever, right? 10-0

Maryville has lost to Rutherford Co. (Smyrna 1994)

Oakland's defense is what puts them on a different level....they just don't let teams score on them and if you can't score then you can't win.  Best defense in Rutherford Co. since mid 90's Riverdale

Maryville has lost to Rutherford Co. (Smyrna 1994)

Oakland's defense is what puts them on a different level....they just don't let teams score on them and if you can't score then you can't win.  Best defense in Rutherford Co. since mid 90's Riverdale

If they're anywhere near as good as the defenses Riverdale put out in the middle 90's (specifically 94) then they must be great. That Riverdale D was loaded with D1 athletes.