South Pitt vs Greenback (Grider against this Ryan and KilPatrick')

Roy Dillard

Well, it took 29 years but the semifinal matchup that people were waiting on is finally here.  If you are over 40 you may remember it, but if you are under 35 you probably have no clue what I am about to talk about.  It was 1987, and just like this season everyone back then was predicting South Pittsburg vs. Greenback in the matchup to determine who went on to play for the golden football.  2 years earlier the Pirates had crushed Greenback on their way to playing in the state championship game.  But this year the Cherokees had circled the date on their calendars.  While Greenback was waiting on sweet revenge, the Pirates were hoping to capture that elusive golden trophy which had escaped their grasp for 2 years in a row.  When the playoffs arrived, South Pittsburg blew past Oneida and Ezell Harding as Greenback was squeaking past Copper Basin and blowing out Coalfied.  What was to be the game of the year in class A was on the horizon and everyone was talking about it.  The media came down to interview people and discuss the possible rematch in the semifinals.  Unfortunately someone forgot to tell Gordonsville that they were supposed to get out of our way.  While Greenback was easing past Franklin Road Academy, we were getting hammered by Gordonsville on one of the coldest nights that I can remember.  And two weeks later Greenback went on to win the only state championship in school history.  So now here we are nearly 3 full decades later.  And just as in '87, most people thought that it would be these two teams meeting in the semifinals to represent the east.  On Friday night 2 storied programs will lay it on the line and when it's over let's be proud and celebrate what both teams have accomplished this season. Then next week one can go on and represent the east while the other stays home like we did way back then and think about what might have been.  Good luck to both teams, safe travels to our friends from Greenback and GO PIRATES!

Good post. That shook some old cobwebs loose from my memory banks.

I just drove by Griders field and he aint practicing our boys. What kind of mess is this? I garuntee you I'm going down to save a lot and stock up on my fudge rounds and stop back by. I hope Grider knows if he loses this game our season is over. You think im joking but im not.

Alcoa, Greenback & AE are practicing and watching film a UT indoor facilities. The amount of talent headed to the valley is unreal!

I almost feel sorry for you bunch a fudge round eaters!!!