2017-2018 AA Top Teams

ballinup90

On 1/10/2018 at 6:50 PM, GCPioneer said:

You expect them to be in the top 10 with a 10 point loss to USJ, 25 point loss to Dyersburg, and now a 17 point loss to McNairy... I expected them to be 13-3 with no problem... they’ve beaten the teams they should’ve beaten. West TN basketball is down this year, you should be winning.

Rant and rave over what overrated teams and players? The ones that beat you by 25? The team that you don’t think should be in the top 10, but you should be? Your whole argument contradicts everything you’re saying... I.E. “Nearly and almost only counts in jacks and hand grenades.” You nearly made it into the top 10, but 3 double digit losses don’t help, one to a very average McNairy team. Go out and prove us all wrong and atleast make it to atleast the region championship....

The only team that should have beat SS was Dyersburg. They came out firing on all cylinders and ready for the challenge and SS didn't look ready. With Miller on the floor I don't see Mcnairy winning that game. Not ranting and raving, stating my opinion just like everyone else on here. You and others give teams and players credit who IMO don't deserve it and or haven't done anything to as you say prove it. But you're right you know everything as all the others on here. Im just a fan with an opinion

• 2 weeks later...

South Greene beat a much improved Greeneville team tonight, 64 to 56. Going into tonight's game, each team had won four games in a row. Greeneville, during their winning streak, beat Grainger.

I enjoy girls basketball at the high school level, but try to only  go to games which I think will be close ones. Tonight's game was an enjoyable game and was hard fought. Greeneville played good defense and gave South Greene a battle. The biggest South Greene lead was 11 or 12 points. The Lady Devils matched up well with SG and have a couple of young players who take up space defensively and offensively on the boards. Greeneville got into foul trouble early.

Sydni Lollar is Greeneville's only Senior.

Look for Greeneville to go pretty far in this year's tournament. Next year should see the team even more improved. With Jones and Fillers returning, they will be tough to beat in 2018-19. For now, I believe South Greene had better play their "A Game" if they see Greeneville again this year.

South Greene played tough as usual, but they did not have the bench strength that Greeneville had tonight. This could be a factor for SG come hectic tournament time.

With the tournament around the corner I still believe that AA is wide open. Westview is favored, but no one has an answer for Upperman's leader Levy. Cumberland County, South Greene, and East Nashville can still hoist the trophy at the Murphy Center as well. Pearl Cohn (2017 runners-up) didn't make this list but they do have to Division 1 players in Shaw and Chambers that both average 20+ points per game, that will serve as a matchup problem for anyone on this list.  At this time of the year it's about having a group of girls with big game experiences, and teams that won't fold under pressure. Records mean nothing!

New AP Top 10

1. Upperman

2. Westview

3. Cumberland County

4. South Greene

5. Cheatham Co.

6. Macon Co.

7. Dyersburg

8. Northview Acad.

9. East Nashville

10. Meigs County

Edited by ballinup90

34 minutes ago, ballinup90 said:

With the tournament around the corner I still believe that AA is wide open. Westview is favored, but no one has an answer for Upperman's leader Levy. Cumberland County, South Greene, and East Nashville can still hoist the trophy at the Murphy Center as well. Pearl Cohn (2017 runners-up) didn't make this list but they do have to Division 1 players in Shaw and Chambers that both average 20+ points per game, that will serve as a matchup problem for anyone on this list.  At this time of the year it's about having a group of girls with big game experiences, and teams that won't fold under pressure. Records mean nothing!

New AP Top 10

1. Upperman

2. Westview

3. Cumberland County

4. South Greene

5. Cheatham Co.

6. Macon Co.

7. Dyersburg

8. Northview Acad.

9. East Nashville

10. Meigs County

Defintley agree it is going to come down to experience and leadership. That's why I think it is going to come down to Upperman and South Greene. Any of the teams on this list could win a gold ball on a given night. But in my opinion on the big floor it will come down to Upperman and SG being able to win it. South Greene has the ability to have a different player each night score 20+ points and 2 time Miss Basketball Finalist Taylor Lamb. I think SG isn't ranked higher because of their 3 losses. The 3 losses are Bradley Central, Morristown West, (both ranked in AAA) & a very good West Clermont team out of Ohio. If everyone who is ranked makes it to State it will be a good tournament to watch. 

Don't sleep on Cumberland County. Talk about "big game experience". They have Gracee Dishman a state leading 32 points per game average  ( #5 in nation per unapproved website) Plenty of talent on that team. Watched them handle a very good Clarkrange team Monday night. Clarkrange doubled Dishman all night and she still had 34. I believe they will match up against Upperman in the regionals, should be a good prediction for the state. The pressure they put on teams with that high energy press is hard to break thru. In my opinion that have a big chance of winning it all.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:08 AM, Vol2Vol2 said:

Don't sleep on Cumberland County. Talk about "big game experience". They have Gracee Dishman a state leading 32 points per game average  ( #5 in nation per unapproved website) Plenty of talent on that team. Watched them handle a very good Clarkrange team Monday night. Clarkrange doubled Dishman all night and she still had 34. I believe they will match up against Upperman in the regionals, should be a good prediction for the state. The pressure they put on teams with that high energy press is hard to break thru. In my opinion that have a big chance of winning it all.

I think both Cumberland County and Upperman will go to state.  They will be the two teams representing their region, and both will beat their sub state opponents, McMinn Central and Meigs County.

34 minutes ago, RealisticFan45 said:

Question?

How good are the teams Upperman are beating? What's the win-loss record of their opponents?

Warren County 11-11

Dekalb County 8-14

Cannon County 11-9

Watertown 5-19 

South Pittsburg 12-8

Bledsoe County 15-8

These were the records posted on Coach T 

Edited by EastTNfan20

2 hours ago, RealisticFan45 said:

Question?

How good are the teams Upperman are beating? What's the win-loss record of their opponents?

Upperman, according to Coach T, has a "Strength Rank" of 2, and a "Schedule Rank" of 56. By comparison, South Greene is 9 and 62. I have no idea how these stats are compiled, so it all boils down to having to play the games on the court.

I know absolutely zero about Upperman, but if you look at their past games, It appears that they have won two out-of-state tournaments. This tells me they must be a good team.

Come tournament time, much will depend on experience, which is hard to quantify-except for bench strength.

On 1/26/2018 at 7:31 PM, hohmaster said:

I think both Cumberland County and Upperman will go to state.  They will be the two teams representing their region, and both will beat their sub state opponents, McMinn Central and Meigs County.

I believe Upperman and Macon County will come out of that Region. I believe Meigs could win a substate game at home. they put a lot of pressure on the ball and cause a lot of turnovers. Meigs is a hard place to play. 

14 hours ago, Dadof2 said:

I believe Upperman and Macon County will come out of that Region. I believe Meigs could win a substate game at home. they put a lot of pressure on the ball and cause a lot of turnovers. Meigs is a hard place to play. 

The key for Meigs to do that is winning the region and hosting sub-state, but I still don't think they can beat Upperman, Macon Co., or Cumberland Co. Same with McMinn Central if they host sub-state against any of those 3 teams.