2017-2018 AA Top Teams

ballinup90

10 hours ago, Vol2Vol2 said:

Really? They have a schedule ranking of 61st! Play some tougher Tennessee teams. Cant argue with a team being ranked 2nd and having at the 4th toughest schedule. I am sure they are a good team, but until you play, and beat top teams, you can not claim to be one.

With all due respect the schedule ranking of 61 does not take into account the out of state teams that they have played. Only the in state teams. They faced stiff competition in the Phoenix tournament. Not saying they deserve to be 2 but your argument that they shouldn't based on strength of schedule doesn't hold water. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RealisticFan45 said:

Is this the BCS or HS girls basketball? They're now 13-2 with 2 starters out with knee injuries. Their district is no slouch

And they SHOULD be 13-2... in fact, if they’re as good as you indicate, they should be 15-0. They’re nearly 12-3 after going to double OT last night with a Haywood team who has a losing record.......

West TN AA ball is weak this year! You wanted to know why South Side wasn’t in the top 10, I explained. Keep it realistic.... realistic fan.....

Edited by GCPioneer

13 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

With all due respect the schedule ranking of 61 does not take into account the out of state teams that they have played. Only the in state teams. They faced stiff competition in the Phoenix tournament. Not saying they deserve to be 2 but your argument that they shouldn't based on strength of schedule doesn't hold water. 

All top teams play out of state teams.  I am sure they are a great team, no disrespect meant at all, but so are the others on the list. They all have had a "good 1st half" to their seasons. Ranking using strength of schedule does stand for something, why else use it to rank teams? why should a team that beats a higher ranked team not be list above one that wins against a lower seed? I will agree that the ranking stands for nothing at this point but conversation topics, the best teams will make to to the state finals regardless of where they are ranked at now. 

8 hours ago, Vol2Vol2 said:

All top teams play out of state teams.  I am sure they are a great team, no disrespect meant at all, but so are the others on the list. They all have had a "good 1st half" to their seasons. Ranking using strength of schedule does stand for something, why else use it to rank teams? why should a team that beats a higher ranked team not be list above one that wins against a lower seed? I will agree that the ranking stands for nothing at this point but conversation topics, the best teams will make to to the state finals regardless of where they are ranked at now. 

Yes ranking in terms of strength of schedule does mean something but only when used properly. You specifically said they had a schedule strength of "61". My argument is that is not correct because the coach t strength of schedule rankings do not include out of state teams. Again I'm not saying they should be ranked 2 overall. But we should consider strength of schedule to be an accurate measure only if the numbers are valid. In this case they are not. 

I've kind of gotten lost in this thread but the references to a schedule ranking of 61 must refer to Westview. It's much better to look at the Strength + Success side here on CoachT to analyze teams results. But even then, as already pointed out, that does not take out of state games into consideration. There is also no "margin of victory' factored in. That's why as voters in the AP Poll, we look at statistical data as well as 1st hand recommendations from poll members across the state who have seen teams play. There will always be some who disagree with rankings, just look at BCS standings and who gets left out of the NCAA tourney.

In Westview's defense, the two teams they played out in Arizona were two of the best teams in their respective state - Highlands Ranch in Colorado and Clovis West in California. They could have won both of those games, so their strength of schedule is somewhat deceptive. I have no doubt they can beat anyone in AA, and can win state.

7 hours ago, GCPioneer said:

In Westview's defense, the two teams they played out in Arizona were two of the best teams in their respective state - Highlands Ranch in Colorado and Clovis West in California. They could have won both of those games, so their strength of schedule is somewhat deceptive. I have no doubt they can beat anyone in AA, and can win state.

Just for clarity, they played 4 teams in Arizona. Went 2-2 in the tournament. 

3 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Just for clarity, they played 4 teams in Arizona. Went 2-2 in the tournament. 

I always was led to believe the Coach T poll is a state poll. No schools out of state record is counted, only wins and losses are recorded. You are ranked based on your record in state, want to be higher? win against higher ranked teams within the state. As the season continues to play out, there will be no doubt who the best teams are.

2 hours ago, Vol2Vol2 said:

I always was led to believe the Coach T poll is a state poll. No schools out of state record is counted, only wins and losses are recorded. You are ranked based on your record in state, want to be higher? win against higher ranked teams within the state. As the season continues to play out, there will be no doubt who the best teams are.

You are correct. No schools' record against out of state teams is counted. That is why it is skewed. If you want to get a true strength of schedule rating you have to include all the teams that are played. 

On 1/7/2018 at 8:45 AM, GCPioneer said:

And they SHOULD be 13-2... in fact, if they’re as good as you indicate, they should be 15-0. They’re nearly 12-3 after going to double OT last night with a Haywood team who has a losing record.......

West TN AA ball is weak this year! You wanted to know why South Side wasn’t in the top 10, I explained. Keep it realistic.... realistic fan.....

That is realistic. You're about as bad as some of the local media outlets, nobody gives them due credit. But rant and rave over these overrated teams and players. From what I've seen they should only have 1 loss and that was to Dyersburg. Nearly and almost only counts in jacks amd hand grenades. Wins are wins. They are finding ways to when without two starters. No one expected them to be now 13-3.

6 hours ago, RealisticFan45 said:

That is realistic. You're about as bad as some of the local media outlets, nobody gives them due credit. But rant and rave over these overrated teams and players. From what I've seen they should only have 1 loss and that was to Dyersburg. Nearly and almost only counts in jacks amd hand grenades. Wins are wins. They are finding ways to when without two starters. No one expected them to be now 13-3.

You expect them to be in the top 10 with a 10 point loss to USJ, 25 point loss to Dyersburg, and now a 17 point loss to McNairy... I expected them to be 13-3 with no problem... they’ve beaten the teams they should’ve beaten. West TN basketball is down this year, you should be winning.

Rant and rave over what overrated teams and players? The ones that beat you by 25? The team that you don’t think should be in the top 10, but you should be? Your whole argument contradicts everything you’re saying... I.E. “Nearly and almost only counts in jacks and hand grenades.” You nearly made it into the top 10, but 3 double digit losses don’t help, one to a very average McNairy team. Go out and prove us all wrong and atleast make it to atleast the region championship....

Close to an hour from now, Chuckey-Doak will be paying South Greene a visit on "Rebel Hill".

C-D matches up very well with SG, so this could be a close game.

In a few minutes, I'll be "warming up" the radio: WIKQ 103.1 FM.

Good Luck to all and safe travels if you are venturing out tonight to watch your favorite teams!