Never too early...Who Wins Class A 2018-19 and why?

gogold

On 9/18/2018 at 5:51 PM, tnhoosier said:

Sorry was still thinking of old district number.

I know Clarkrange, PC, Clay as good as you do.  Time will tell, I'm no Clarkrange fan but they lost far less than PC did in my opinion.  

Clarkrange will be very small at guard but the Monday's & Bush are very good, Stover is very good but has never had a fair amount of playing time to show it until this season.  Howard is taller & longer than Bilbrey but not as athletic or skilled, Pile & Pierce are very solid all around players as well. 

Pickett Co will be as small as Clarkrange and less experienced. Brown is the best scorer in that district, Bilbrey does a good job altering shots and if she plays to potential is an outstanding player.  Smith is a solid guard but is going to have to play a lot more and do things she has never had to do before, Ludick & Burton are very solid, but played sparingly last year but they are both more than capable .  Evans and the 2 freshman Woods & Stockton provide some depth but it's unproven in game situations right now.

Clay has Strong who with Brown from PC is an elite scorer, Arms who will be the most physical post in the District and can score & rebound. Copass may be the best true PG in the district.  The younger Arms kid is a good shooter as well.

And the best all around player in that district may well be Fleming at RBS.

But what do I know, I don't know that district...

PC will not be small with Bilbrey who was 6'2" last year as a freshman. Also the Burton sisters are tall and Kendall Ludick is too.

• 2 weeks later...

In the west: Huntingdon still has some pieces from last years team. They bring fuller a ball hander, jones hard nose defender and probably their best player this year. they do have a junior in Reed that is very athletic and can finish around the rim. McKenzie brings back a large majority of their talent. This team played well to end the year against some big time opponents. They return 3 starters and a player off an acl. Don't be surprised if they challenge Huntingdon for the top spot in 11A.

greenfield should be the team to beat as they return 2 Division one players. Eddie Darby played well for an 8th grader so a bigger role for her will be in store this year. The thing that will hurt the Jackets will be their depth. Defense will not be a problem as moore and darby are graet in this area as well. Dresden only graduates one player off of last years team so expect them to challenge Greenfield for the top spot in the region. The big question for them will be who will replace Mary Grace Davis.

In 14A expect Gibson county to be the top team as they reurn key pieces from last years squad, that narrowly lost to Greenfield. Peabody played without Stacie Mayberry to end the year but 4 starters return for the Golden Tide. Peabody always plays hard and up tempo but depth issues might hurt them.  Peabody hurt GC in their games against the Tide last year by using their quickness. 

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:52 AM, rebelman101 said:

In the west: Huntingdon still has some pieces from last years team. They bring fuller a ball hander, jones hard nose defender and probably their best player this year. they do have a junior in Reed that is very athletic and can finish around the rim. McKenzie brings back a large majority of their talent. This team played well to end the year against some big time opponents. They return 3 starters and a player off an acl. Don't be surprised if they challenge Huntingdon for the top spot in 11A.

greenfield should be the team to beat as they return 2 Division one players. Eddie Darby played well for an 8th grader so a bigger role for her will be in store this year. The thing that will hurt the Jackets will be their depth. Defense will not be a problem as moore and darby are graet in this area as well. Dresden only graduates one player off of last years team so expect them to challenge Greenfield for the top spot in the region. The big question for them will be who will replace Mary Grace Davis.

In 14A expect Gibson county to be the top team as they reurn key pieces from last years squad, that narrowly lost to Greenfield. Peabody played without Stacie Mayberry to end the year but 4 starters return for the Golden Tide. Peabody always plays hard and up tempo but depth issues might hurt them.  Peabody hurt GC in their games against the Tide last year by using their quickness. 

Greenfield and Dresden are the front runners In 13A, but I think Gleason and Union City will give everybody problems this season. Gleason might have the best Single A coach in west TN seeing how they were able to beat Greenfield in the District Championship game last season. UC played a lot of youth last season mostly freshmen and sophomores. They will be matchup problems with their size and athleticism  this season. This is just my opinions. If Greenfield can get some quality play from their role players everyone they play this season will be in serious trouble with those two Moore and Darby on the floor. Dresden will always be solid and well coached. Games between the top four teams in 13A will be battles every night.

14 hours ago, BallLover38237 said:

Greenfield and Dresden are the front runners In 13A, but I think Gleason and Union City will give everybody problems this season. Gleason might have the best Single A coach in west TN seeing how they were able to beat Greenfield in the District Championship game last season. UC played a lot of youth last season mostly freshmen and sophomores. They will be matchup problems with their size and athleticism  this season. This is just my opinions. If Greenfield can get some quality play from their role players everyone they play this season will be in serious trouble with those two Moore and Darby on the floor. Dresden will always be solid and well coached. Games between the top four teams in 13A will be battles every night.

I forgot about UC. They played well last year as well. Gleason has a couple of players that can make some noise. Alexis Anderson was a shock to everyone as she was Gleason's best player at times last year. K. Atkins can create her shot and is a great three point shooter. Gleason lost their best defensive, best rebounder, and their mvp last season. I think the district goes like this: 

1. Greenfield

2.Dresden

3.Gleason

4.Union City

On 10/10/2018 at 1:24 AM, rebelman101 said:

I forgot about UC. They played well last year as well. Gleason has a couple of players that can make some noise. Alexis Anderson was a shock to everyone as she was Gleason's best player at times last year. K. Atkins can create her shot and is a great three point shooter. Gleason lost their best defensive, best rebounder, and their mvp last season. I think the district goes like this: 

1. Greenfield

2.Dresden

3.Gleason

4.Union City

Greenfield and Dresden will be a toss up. Moore and Darby’s are phenomenal players but those seniors were a huge part of that championship team. Gleason and UC going to be battles as well for those spots. UTM will be packed for Districts and Regionals!! 

On 9/21/2018 at 5:01 PM, Greenfieldfan said:

Oh my, Just because 7A may be down this year does not mean that single A as a whole is down.  4 of your top teams are out of one region in west Tennessee.  Gleason, Dresden, Gibson County and Greenfield and only two can make it to Boro.  Consider yourself lucky to be in 7A.

If you are talking about 6A they are not way down. Clay Co, Pickett Co and Clarkrange all have a great shot of being one of two going to state.

Here's a few of my thoughts as far as West TN goes...

Greenfield has the 2 of the best players in West TN, Moore and Darby.... add in Edie Darby for her freshman year and a full season of coach under Trevathan, Greenfield is going be the favorite to repeat as state champs.

If anyone in West TN is going to beat Greenfield, I think it's Gibson County. Gibson County returns basically everything from last year, and add in another great freshman in Madison Hart, and Gibson is definitely capable of beating Greenfield.

Not much is being said about Union City.... they're going to be good. Jada Williams is one of the best athletes in this area and has some game to go with it. I was also told that Union City has another kid who is a rising freshman who is good. Paige McMillan (wife of UTM's Kevin McMillan) will also be coaching them this year as well.

As long as Coach Stephenson is at Gleason, they'll be able to compete with the best in the area. They did lose one of their best players to injury, but they'll still be in the mix of things in the end. 

Dresden and Huntingdon are kind of unknowns for me. They both lost some key players, but also return some key players as well.

I would say Greenfield is at the top.... Gibson isn't far behind.... and everyone else mentioned is capable of beating anyone in Single A.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:11 AM, GCPioneer said:

Here's a few of my thoughts as far as West TN goes...

Greenfield has the 2 of the best players in West TN, Moore and Darby.... add in Edie Darby for her freshman year and a full season of coach under Trevathan, Greenfield is going be the favorite to repeat as state champs.

If anyone in West TN is going to beat Greenfield, I think it's Gibson County. Gibson County returns basically everything from last year, and add in another great freshman in Madison Hart, and Gibson is definitely capable of beating Greenfield.

Not much is being said about Union City.... they're going to be good. Jada Williams is one of the best athletes in this area and has some game to go with it. I was also told that Union City has another kid who is a rising freshman who is good. Paige McMillan (wife of UTM's Kevin McMillan) will also be coaching them this year as well.

As long as Coach Stephenson is at Gleason, they'll be able to compete with the best in the area. They did lose one of their best players to injury, but they'll still be in the mix of things in the end. 

Dresden and Huntingdon are kind of unknowns for me. They both lost some key players, but also return some key players as well.

I would say Greenfield is at the top.... Gibson isn't far behind.... and everyone else mentioned is capable of beating anyone in Single A.

Dresden lost ONE key player, Mary Grace Davis.

1 hour ago, dtownfan364 said:

Dresden lost ONE key player, Mary Grace Davis.

I was thinking you all lost more than that... Dresden will definitely be in the mix then.

This area in Single A is going to be tough just like last year... TCA is a team I didn’t mention in the first post that will be tough to deal with as well.

On 10/8/2018 at 1:52 AM, rebelman101 said:

My two cents are Dresden will just as good as last year if not a little better. Hard to replace Davis but I bet the Winn girl will fill in nicely. We will also have a good point guard back at 100%. Tristin had limited playing time last year due to ACL recovery. She has been a baller since middle school. I think Greenfield is the team to beat but I'm not sold they will have a cake walk to the finals.