Sumner and Wilson County FBall

6 hours ago, BKisler said:

No need for MJ to schedule weak no con games other than to make their overall record look better. I could understand it more if you had a very young  team without many seniors and juniors with experience. This year's team is loaded with talent ( a couple of D-1's to boot. )

I would like to see them schedule 2 Rutherford Co. schools and play Hillsboro and Cookeville. Nothing better than a win you have to fight for.

It will be interesting to see what the schedule looks like next year.

5 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

I would love for MJ to do that because as it stands right now, Oakland and Blackman are probably looking at scheduling a home and home with out of the state teams. MJ doesnt have to have a real tough non region slate, but they do need to at least challenge themselves. Oakland and Maryville are perfect examples of this

This has bothered me about Mt. Juliet as well. You gain nothing by playing all cupcakes in your non-region schedule. Especially when you are considered the top team in one of the easier regions to begin with....

They scheduled Glencliff and they have been a struggling program for years. They have had 1 winning season since 2001. And only 3 seasons where they have won more than 2 games. In the last 7 seasons they have won 8 games. Last year their only win was a 16-14 win over 1A Republic who finished 0-9.

Overton is understandable. They had won 6+ games for 8 years in a row going into last year. Before last year that was seen as a solid non-region game. Now it appears that zoning is hurting that program.

Clarksville Northwest is the team they scheduled as their homecoming. So they knew this was an easy win as well against a 4a/5a team that struggles to make the playoffs.

Then you have McGavock which is about similar to the Overton game. They tend to hover around .500 and occasionally are a little better or a little worse.

McGavock and Overton as decent non-region games if you are playing somebody other than Glencliff and Clarksville NW in the other games.

The thing that gets me is how they approach those games as well. I looked at the box score from the game on Friday and Mt. Juliet threw 1 pass. They had 16 different kids run the ball. They scored 5 times on their first 6 plays. How is that improving anything for your team? That isn't even helping your depth. It is like knowing you are gonna be playing in a live Madden tournament next week and practicing by playing on rookie mode. It does nothing to get you ready. And at worst you could get somebody hurt in a pointless game.

Here is what Mt. Juliet own coach said about Glencliff after the game.

" They had 35 guys dressed out tonight, 17 are freshmen. That’s amazing they came out here and played under the lights at all and got lined up right. "

So Mt. Juliet is okay with a 63-0 win over a team that they acknowledge can barely field a team and grasp basic football concepts.

On 8/20/2018 at 12:24 PM, eers said:

Right now is the best time to play them, as they will get better as the year progresses.  If they can knock off HC this week they will be a team to contend with for sure.

I believe there are a lot of teams in this group that have some questions and this week will likely answer a few of those.

I agree 100%

• Upvote 1

MJGoldenBear would be all over you now for saying those comments about MJ lol but i agree contenders or teams looking to win a championship in that two year window does not need to schedule teams they know are cupcake. Instead schedule a team that you know will be good, so you can be prepared for the playoffs and not get bounced first round like MJ did last year. 

You cant do anything about your region schedule but to continue to schedule Glencliff is not the way to go.

Mt. Juliet scrimmaged Cane Ridge in spring practice, and beat them 48-7. They also blew Siegel out in the second spring scrimmage. Thats two rutherford county teams, one which competed in the state title games last season. I completely agree that the regular season schedule is uncompetitive, but Perry made up for that in the spring & fall scrimmages in pre-season. Mt. Juliet is a force to be reckoned with without a doubt. Lebanon & Hendersonville have pretty solid teams this year, and those two games will be good for Mt. Juliet as they enter the playoffs.

4 hours ago, MJGoldStandard2018 said:

Mt. Juliet scrimmaged Cane Ridge in spring practice, and beat them 48-7. They also blew Siegel out in the second spring scrimmage. Thats two rutherford county teams, one which competed in the state title games last season. I completely agree that the regular season schedule is uncompetitive, but Perry made up for that in the spring & fall scrimmages in pre-season. Mt. Juliet is a force to be reckoned with without a doubt. Lebanon & Hendersonville have pretty solid teams this year, and those two games will be good for Mt. Juliet as they enter the playoffs.

Too bad Cane Ridge is in Antioch, which is in Davidson County

19 hours ago, FBfan26 said:

Somebody need to find @MJGOLDENBEARS

5 hours ago, MJGoldStandard2018 said:

25 minutes ago, steelcityroller said:

MJ did not beat CR 48-7 in a scrimmage. Not sure where you got your info. By the way CR is in Antioch not Rutherford County. Siegel lost to Stewart’s Creek 28-0 in week 1 and will not win more than 2 or 3 games so nothing to that. MJ opponents went 35-69 last year. That is pathetic.  Same schedule last year, got beat in the first round. Maryville, Oakland, Blackman, Whitehaven all play tough schedules, why not MJ

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MJGoldStandard2018 said:

You can make a new profiles all you want too @MJGOLDENBEARS lol