Time to move Alcoa to 6A

coachrus

I don't think any individual school should be moved up against their wishes, even if they won the state each year or won every non-region game against higher classes. 

I wouldn't mind if the top 10 or so of each class, 1A to 5A, 20 percent of each group, over the past several years (five years here) was considered for a move-up. It's not as bad for these teams except for 5A as it seems, as the top 10 from the group they'd be entering would be leaving (entering 3A teams wouldn't see Alcoa, for example). Mostly it would potentially aid non-competitive type schools and give them a bit more chance on the average. 

1A to 2A 

1-Greenback

2-Huntingdon 

3-Dresden

4-South Pittsburg

5-Coalfield

6-Wayne County

7-Lake County

8-Whitwell 

9-Harriman 

10-Cloudland 

2A to 3A 

1-Union City

2-Peabody

3-Memphis East

4-Marion County

5-Waverly

6-Adamsville 

7-Meigs County

8-Tyner

9-Watertown

10-Trousdale 

3A to 4A 

1-Alcoa 

2-Pearl-Cohn 

3-Elizabethton 

4-Milan

5-Trezevant 

6-Covington

7-Austin East 

8-East Nashville 

9-Red Bank 

10-Stratford 

4A to 5A 

1-Fulton 

2-Greeneville 

3-Marshall County 

4-Haywood County

5-Crockett County

6-Dyersburg 

7-Anderson County

8-Springfield 

9-Liberty 

10-Hardin County

5A to 6A 

1-Oak Ridge 

2-Nashville Hillsboro 

3-Rhea County 

4-Knoxville West 

5-Henry County 

6-Ridgeway

7-Knoxville Central 

8-Beech

9-Sevier County

10-Campbell County

There is no 6A to 7A. 

Every 2 years teams would be re-evaluated, again over the past 5 years.  A team like 6A Warren would move down 1 class, and if still not successful in 5A would move down again to 4A. 

Edited by Indian

4 hours ago, Indian said:

I don't think any individual school should be moved up against their wishes, even if they won the state each year or won every non-region game against higher classes. 

I wouldn't mind if the top 10 or so of each class, 1A to 5A, 20 percent of each group, over the past several years (five years here) was considered for a move-up. It's not as bad for these teams except for 5A as it seems, as the top 10 from the group they'd be entering would be leaving (entering 3A teams wouldn't see Alcoa, for example). Mostly it would potentially aid non-competitive type schools and give them a bit more chance on the average. 

1A to 2A 

1-Greenback

2-Huntingdon 

3-Dresden

4-South Pittsburg

5-Coalfield

6-Wayne County

7-Lake County

8-Whitwell 

9-Harriman 

10-Cloudland 

2A to 3A 

1-Union City

2-Peabody

3-Memphis East

4-Marion County

5-Waverly

6-Adamsville 

7-Meigs County

8-Tyner

9-Watertown

10-Trousdale 

3A to 4A 

1-Alcoa 

2-Pearl-Cohn 

3-Elizabethton 

4-Milan

5-Trezevant 

6-Covington

7-Austin East 

8-East Nashville 

9-Red Bank 

10-Stratford 

4A to 5A 

1-Fulton 

2-Greeneville 

3-Marshall County 

4-Haywood County

5-Crockett County

6-Dyersburg 

7-Anderson County

8-Springfield 

9-Liberty 

10-Hardin County

5A to 6A 

1-Oak Ridge 

2-Nashville Hillsboro 

3-Rhea County 

4-Knoxville West 

5-Henry County 

6-Ridgeway

7-Knoxville Central 

8-Beech

9-Sevier County

10-Campbell County

There is no 6A to 7A. 

Every 2 years teams would be re-evaluated, again over the past 5 years.  A team like 6A Warren would move down 1 class, and if still not successful in 5A would move down again to 4A. 

Pretty soon you'd have enrollment #'s scattered all over the spectrum. Some teams ( South Pitt, Huntingdon, Union City, ect…) in 1A/2A regularly play, and rarely lose to 3A and above schools, but would have little chance at a gold ball. As good as some small schools are, they would have no chance at Alcoa, Greeneville, Fulton, and the likes. Play where your enrollment places you (or choose to move up if you're that good), and either enjoy your success, or suck it up and get better if you don't like always losing to those who "always" win.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think in the long run you’d have some less successful teams generate more interest from some winning and end up in their proper class. It might be similar to a team scheduling very light out of region And fans coming back out, players coming out for the team, more funding, more coaches and so on. 

Some in 3A and maybe even 4A might drop down all the way and never come back, but it’s not doing them or their opponents getting beat by 30 or 40 in their current spots. 

Alcoa, Greeneville, Fulton would eventually rise up probably and the Union City types wouldn’t face them. Moving 10 up and 10 down would balance things out plus I wouldn’t mind rotating region opponents from time to time anyway (Sequatchie was actually 14th in 3A so not far from moving, so not just using a wishful thinking simulation for an easier route).

There would seem to be a better way than just going enrollment, with one family moving in or out, a home schooling movement taking 5 or 10 students, possibly being the difference in playing in a region vs an Alcoa or Maryville. This does use enrollment as the base. 

Edited by Indian

14 hours ago, Indian said:

1A to 2A 

1-Greenback

2-Huntingdon 

3-Dresden

4-South Pittsburg

5-Coalfield

6-Wayne County

7-Lake County

8-Whitwell 

9-Harriman 

10-Cloudland 

2A to 3A 

1-Union City

2-Peabody

3-Memphis East

4-Marion County

5-Waverly

6-Adamsville 

7-Meigs County

8-Tyner

9-Watertown

10-Trousdale 

3A to 4A 

1-Alcoa 

2-Pearl-Cohn 

3-Elizabethton 

4-Milan

5-Trezevant 

6-Covington

7-Austin East 

8-East Nashville 

9-Red Bank 

10-Stratford 

4A to 5A 

1-Fulton 

2-Greeneville 

3-Marshall County 

4-Haywood County

5-Crockett County

6-Dyersburg 

7-Anderson County

8-Springfield 

9-Liberty 

10-Hardin County

5A to 6A 

1-Oak Ridge 

2-Nashville Hillsboro 

3-Rhea County 

4-Knoxville West 

5-Henry County 

6-Ridgeway

7-Knoxville Central 

8-Beech

9-Sevier County

10-Campbell County

There is no 6A to 7A. 

Soon as a big school drop and win that next year I could hear it now lol

58 minutes ago, Indian said:

Bottom 10 over a period of timewould drop 1 class, most would not win big immediately 

I respect the time and thought you've put into this, but I believe you should play where your enrollment puts you.

Its very similar to 5th grader that can't compete with other 5th graders and they let him win the 3rd grade 100 yard dash.  That's how irrational this discussion is.

If I'm not mistaken there was a team that should have been 3A or 4A ( due to some funky mid reclassification issue) about 8 yrs ago that won a 2A state championship. Does that team really deserve that championship? What about the schools that were legit 2A schools that lost the opportunity?

That team is now in 3A and has not been successful. Should they drop and take advantage of smaller schools so they feel better about themselves?

just my thoughts

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32hammer said:

I respect the time and thought you've put into this, but I believe you should play where your enrollment puts you.

Its very similar to 5th grader that can't compete with other 5th graders and they let him win the 3rd grade 100 yard dash.  That's how irrational this discussion is.

If I'm not mistaken there was a team that should have been 3A or 4A ( due to some funky mid reclassification issue) about 8 yrs ago that won a 2A state championship. Does that team really deserve that championship? What about the schools that were legit 2A schools that lost the opportunity?

That team is now in 3A and has not been successful. Should they drop and take advantage of smaller schools so they feel better about themselves?

just my thoughts

That was Signal Mountain High School when it was first built.  They though they could have beat the 4a Champs that year in Greeneville.  Definitely wasn't going to happen

The difference , only the 10 low performing teams would move down, 1 class at a time. If they started winning they’d go back up maybe after one more year. I don’t think  any would go down and start right away tearing smaller teams up. 

Moving up or down one class, with 6 classes, isn’t too different from a three class system which worked for years and what some still would prefer. 

When I have the “droppers” included it may make more sense. None of it really matters anyway just some thoughts in an open week

On Sept 21 Alcoa is going to get a taste of 6A football.    But let's be quick to point out that there is absolutely no shame in losing to a school whose band is bigger than your student body.     And furthermore I see Alcoa running the table after this game and owning 3A in Cookeville, yet another gold ball headed to Blount Co.

10 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

On Sept 21 Alcoa is going to get a taste of 6A football.    But let's be quick to point out that there is absolutely no shame in losing to a school whose band is bigger than your student body.     And furthermore I see Alcoa running the table after this game and owning 3A in Cookeville, yet another gold ball headed to Blount Co.

You think Alcoa will lose to DB? 

• CoachT locked this topic