47 Teams made the playoffs with 5-5 records or less.

BarneySox2007

Ahhhhhh....................the annual "Lets see how much football will make for the T$$AA this year" thread.

Some things are a given for Tn high school football every year.

1.  Everyone does NOT like the playoffs except the T$$AA, but nothing ever gets done.

2.  Then there is the DB thread about not making it past the second round of the playoffs or NOT making them at all thread.

3.  Then there is the Maryville is beating EVERYBODY yet again thread.  Cannot gripe about this one as they do beat EVERYBODY!

Some things are consistent in Tn football.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I posted this a while back on the 3A/4A page, but thought you guys might want to give it some consideration as we think about the playoffs.

What if we have one champion from each of Tennessee's 95 counties.  For some counties with only one high school (Unicoi for instance) it will be easy.    For large counties (Shelby for instance) it will take several weeks of county playoffs to get a champion.   The counties in between these extremes could do something like a few rounds of best 2 out of 3.

So after we have it narrowed down to 95 teams then we start playing county against county.   By the time basketball season is over we should have a single winner, a single "best" team in the state of Tennessee.   Now who could possibly argue with this logic???

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

I posted this a while back on the 3A/4A page, but thought you guys might want to give it some consideration as we think about the playoffs.

What if we have one champion from each of Tennessee's 95 counties.  For some counties with only one high school (Unicoi for instance) it will be easy.    For large counties (Shelby for instance) it will take several weeks of county playoffs to get a champion.   The counties in between these extremes could do something like a few rounds of best 2 out of 3.

So after we have it narrowed down to 95 teams then we start playing county against county.   By the time basketball season is over we should have a single winner, a single "best" team in the state of Tennessee.   Now who could possibly argue with this logic???

Man we got 15 high schools in Nashville and that's not even with the privates

3 hours ago, blazer1set said:

This idea is totally idiotic and is a farce, at best.

Far cry from what it was when I was in High School. Back then if you didn't win the district you sat at home during playoff time. Rule High School was 9-0 entering the Maryville game in 1979 and 1981. Maryville won those games so Rule stayed at home during playoff time despite a 9-1 record. 

In my opinion there are too many Classes. Go back to 4 public classes and 2 private. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, REBELRON said:

Far cry from what it was when I was in High School. Back then if you didn't win the district you sat at home during playoff time. Rule High School was 9-0 entering the Maryville game in 1979 and 1981. Maryville won those games so Rule stayed at home during playoff time despite a 9-1 record. 

In my opinion there are too many Classes. Go back to 4 public classes and 2 private. 

100% agree. Back in the day it was only 3 classes and there was no split. State has grown but we’ve pulled out the D2’s AND added 3 other classes. Too many.  Travel is too much and expensive especially for the smaller schools. Playoffs are watered down. Need 4 at the most with the split. 

11 hours ago, MSURacer said:

Hmm....I stand corrected. 

Forgot about our 4-team regions. 

And the four team regions get as many playoff teams as the 6/7 team regions. Why is there not a ratio or something? 

In 6A there are 27 teams on the east side of the bracket. This puts 22 teams on the west side of the bracket. Region 5 has seven teams. Region 6 has six teams. Region 7 has five teams, and Region 8 has 4 teams. 32 teams make the playoffs. The way the playoffs are now 16 teams out of 27 from the east make the playoffs and 16 out of 22 make the playoffs from the west. I believe a ratio should be used 
which would put 18 teams out of 27 in the playoffs from the east and 14 out of 22 
in the playoffs from the west.