1A Championship Cornersville vs Whitwell

TheBigDawg

2 minutes ago, TheAmbassador said:

I’ve noticed he gambles a lot. He goes for it a lot on his side of the field. Last week he did it inside his own 30 in the fourth quarter.  The defense stopped Greenback, but that’s still a heavy gamble. 

I personally would prefer cornersville going for two more often. We are definitely weak on our extra point team. I feel like we don’t do a good job blocking up front at times. I would keep feeding the horses and take that gamble. Is it correct that the field goal to win the game was Whitwell first attempt all season?

1 hour ago, TheBigDawg said:

Holding them under 21 shouldn't be a problem.  Cornersville's starters have faced 50+ point scoring offenses numerous times and only allowed one team to score more than 8 points in a game.  Whitwell gave up 20 to a sad Cannon County team, 25 to an average Polk County team, 28 to a good South Pitt, and 21 to Greenback.  No doubt some of those points hang around the necks of the second and third stringers, but the fact remains that Whitwell routinely gives up 20 points or more to mediocre, average, and good teams.  Cornersville does not.  Advantage Cornersville.

Holding GB to 21 was a big deal.

2 hours ago, WARBOSS said:

How old are you? 11? 12? This game will be fun. I love shutting people's loud mouths! WE......... not going to try to intentionally hurt anybody but buddy if you think your going to knock us around at will you need to go back to whatever fairyland you staggered out of. Hoping for a good injury free clean game!! Can't wait The big dawg..more like a immature puppy!

WE........, Old Pirate is admittedly often times confused, but “WE” reference obviously is confusing. Do you and that former Vol coach for Alabama have similar titles? 

4 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

4 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

Old Pirate says GB, like SP often times went away from the bloody nose tactic.  Both head coaches probably watched too Fulmer coached Vol teams that often times went into protect the lead. Whitwell appears to have more of “The Ole Ball Coach’s attach mentality that makes you play the whole game! The Tigers will be too much & will be the next team from the valley to bring home the bacon. BTW, Whitwell coaches, us fellers knows yous never been here and need to keep you big mouths shut. Figure, Whitwell will always be Whutwull because of things like coaches & fans showing lack of class! Yep, Recon so

1 hour ago, TheAmbassador said:

The difference is I said it would be a great game. Do you disagree that Cornersville needs to hold them to 21 or less to have a chance to win?

Bass I do disagree, I think from what I've been able to see on these teams Cville could score into the 30's on a dry field. Everybody is looking at the scores from Huntingdon and LC but can't take much from that, there was literally still snow on the carpet and LC was a mud hole. I have seen what their offense can do when dry and clicking

2 minutes ago, wildcat89 said:

Bass I do disagree, I think from what I've been able to see on these teams Cville could score into the 30's on a dry field. Everybody is looking at the scores from Huntingdon and LC but can't take much from that, there was literally still snow on the carpet and LC was a mud hole. I have seen what their offense can do when dry and clicking

With what Cornersville does on offense compared to Lake County. I would think a mud hole would be a big advantage to Cornersville.  Isn’t Lake County a spread team? I stick to my prediction. If Whitwell is held to less than 21 Cornersville wins. If Whitwell scores more than 21 Whitwell wins. 

Just now, TheAmbassador said:

With what Cornersville does on offense compared to Lake County. I would think a mud hole would be a big advantage to Cornersville.  Isn’t Lake County a spread team? I stick to my prediction. If Whitwell is held to less than 21 Cornersville wins. If Whitwell scores more than 21 Whitwell wins. 

LC spreads the field but looks like they mainly run the ball out of that formation. I'm still not trying to talk LC down but they wasn't as good as I thought they would have been, but they are still young and I see them and Huntingdon playing in the semis next year. This Cville offensive line is something to watch, reminds me of a Union City coached team, they get off the ball quick and get to whom they're blocking quick. We all hear about the speed of the backs but it's the speed of Cville's lines that impressed me. Defensively the same, lots of tackles in the backfield and a lot of them are lineman tackling from behind

1 minute ago, wildcat89 said:

LC spreads the field but looks like they mainly run the ball out of that formation. I'm still not trying to talk LC down but they wasn't as good as I thought they would have been, but they are still young and I see them and Huntingdon playing in the semis next year. This Cville offensive line is something to watch, reminds me of a Union City coached team, they get off the ball quick and get to whom they're blocking quick. We all hear about the speed of the backs but it's the speed of Cville's lines that impressed me. Defensively the same, lots of tackles in the backfield and a lot of them are lineman tackling from behind

Our line is the heart and soul of our team on both sides of the ball. They are the foundation to our success. I know we have a few backs that get the recognition but it’s all due to the hogs up front. 

Cornersville has got to start quick and play all four quarters. They can’t cone out slow in this one. I don’t see Whitwell scoring more than 21. Cornersville will have a few long drives that will play a toll on the tigers. But both teams are averaging 40 plus points a game. The Line play from the dawgs is what will win the game for them. 

1 hour ago, TheTruthPrevails said:

do any whitwell people know why the coach goes for two at odd times?  I understand the sp game it was cold, but it almost cost the Tigers the game last week had they not hit the halfback pass.  I hope this low scoring game doesnt come down to this.

I like the idea of the Coach lining up to go for two with what he has in the backfield.  If he can't get better than 50% with them he wouldn't be winning many games.  That's their bread n butter. 

I think back to the Tyner coach last year.  What an absolute waste of a whole game plan to not line up for 2 and the win against Union City.  

Apples and oranges maybe but my point being roll the dice. With that backfield I like my chances.

Edit: plus he has Stewart out wide as another option. 

Edited by Southtowner