Never too early...Who Wins Class A 2019-20 and why?

gogold

11 minutes ago, maddams said:

Everybody understands that Gibson's schedule is really tough.  That's why they're listed despite 3 losses.  You could definitely make an argument for Summertown and Gibson being higher.  Summertown beat Dyersburg at the Gibson Thanksgiving tournament.  Gibson has a good win at Westview and the Dresden win is solid.  

Did Callins play in the Gibson win over Westview? Without Callins, I would argue that several other Single A teams could be Westview.

Tim Lownsdale's Coaches Poll this week is:

1. Greenfield

2. Loretto

3. Clarkrange

4. North Greene

5. Summertown

6. Gibson Co

7. Pickett Co

8. Huntingdon

9. Tellico Plains

10. Cloudland

Looks like a pretty good list, but I would probably take Tellico out and probably go with Oneida, they have lost a few games but look at who they have lost to. Tellico probably has the weakest schedule in 1A, they don’t play anyone until region tournament. It seems to hurt them every year.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, maddams said:

Everybody understands that Gibson's schedule is really tough.  That's why they're the only 3 loss team listed.  You could definitely make an argument for Summertown and Gibson being higher.  Summertown beat Dyersburg at the Gibson Thanksgiving tournament.  Gibson has a good win at Westview and the Dresden win is solid.  

Did Callins play in the Gibson win over Westview? Without Callins, I would argue that several other Single A teams could be Westview.

Tim Lownsdale's Coaches Poll this week is:

1. Greenfield

2. Loretto

3. Clarkrange

4. North Greene

5. Summertown

6. Gibson Co

7. Pickett Co

8. Huntingdon

9. Tellico Plains

10. Cloudland

Callins was out. But GC is going all out on scheduling. Lost two games to the wire with South Side with Currie-Jelks and Dyersburg. With a healthy Currie-Jelks, I don't know if any body outside the top theee could beat them. Dyersburg beat South Side as well. Covington is loaded as well. Another state tournament team we line up with tonight. Tim's poll is more like it, IMO. 

Edited by pioneer42

8 minutes ago, Dadof2 said:

Looks like a pretty good list, but I would probably take Tellico out and probably go with Oneida, they have lost a few games but look at who they have lost to. Tellico probably has the weakest schedule in 1A, they don’t play anyone until region tournament. It seems to hurt them every year.

In my opinion, Oneida is one of the top Single A teams in the state, and likely be in Murfreesboro when the state tournament rolls around. Right now, they have some tough losses, all 4 by double digits with a blowout loss to Clarkrange and one to Pickett County. I'm not sure if they're missing players, or have been missing players, but those are some tough losses for a top 10 team right now.

26 minutes ago, GCPioneer said:

In my opinion, Oneida is one of the top Single A teams in the state, and likely be in Murfreesboro when the state tournament rolls around. Right now, they have some tough losses, all 4 by double digits with a blowout loss to Clarkrange and one to Pickett County. I'm not sure if they're missing players, or have been missing players, but those are some tough losses for a top 10 team right now.

I agree, but head to head I’m taking Oneida, Tellico is young and will get better, but right now there’s several teams that would be in front of them, they are just playing some really bad teams right now. I would have them probably around 15.

12 hours ago, maddams said:

Where I'd rank them this week:

1. Greenfield (8-0) - there's no argument here

2. Loretto (5-1) - had the week off; don't see anyone else on their schedule challenging them with the exception of maybe Summertown

3. Clarkrange (7-1) - blowout win at Pickett Co seemed like a statement, nice win last week at Oneida also

4. North Greene (9-0) - 3 blowout wins last week

5. Pickett Co (7-1) - may be too high on this list; top teams should not lose by 20 at home

6. Huntingdon (6-2) - appear to be getting better quickly; good win at Gleason

7. Summertown (4-2) - only game last week was blowout win

8. Gibson Co. (6-3) - lost to Dyersburg last week; probably better than this ranking; schedule is tough

9. Cloudland (8-1) - 3 wins this week; not sure they've beaten a good team yet

10. Gleason (7-3) - loss to Huntingdon this week; still trying to get healthy

Others to watch: Tellico Plains, Dresden, Oneida, Wayne Co, Collinwood

Well the way we played tonight looks like we shouldn't even be in the top 10. This team played really well in the AAU season playing play days and some AAU teams and they looked like a team that could make a deep run. They didn't lose a game this spring. Tonight they looked like a team that was the furthest from playing as a team and played very selfish individual basketball. Very obvious GC is not playing team ball and better figure it out quick or it will be watching the Region semis at GC or they will lose the Region site to Greenfield's Region. GC has something going on and they all better have a come to Jesus meeting and get whatever it is worked out. 

9 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Well the way we played tonight looks like we shouldn't even be in the top 10. This team played really well in the AAU season playing play days and some AAU teams and they looked like a team that could make a deep run. They didn't lose a game this spring. Tonight they looked like a team that was the furthest from playing as a team and played very selfish individual basketball. Very obvious GC is not playing team ball and better figure it out quick or it will be watching the Region semis at GC or they will lose the Region site to Greenfield's Region. GC has something going on and they all better have a come to Jesus meeting and get whatever it is worked out. 

The score doesn't look bad - a 48-40 loss to a AA Covington that is likely to finish their season in Murfreesboro.  I take it from your post that you really didn't like the way GC played.  Wilkins is excellent.  I would bet he fixes whatever issue they're having right now.  

3 hours ago, maddams said:

The score doesn't look bad - a 48-40 loss to a AA Covington that is likely to finish their season in Murfreesboro.  I take it from your post that you really didn't like the way GC played.  Wilkins is excellent.  I would bet he fixes whatever issue they're having right now.  

Well you got a girl that could score 40 if they would get her the ball and you got 1 girl who is getting her the ball the times she gets it and is racking up assists but they are keying on her. Others are not getting her the ball and she is open. She is scoring 15-20 with limited touches. They are not getting the ball up the floor to the outlets quick either.They played like this some last year but not to this extent. Coach Wilkins I am sure is not happy about it either. I do understand that in the heat of battle you are going to miss some passes but every one in the stands has picked up on this. Covington is a really good team who will be in Murfreesboro no doubt. I am sure Coach Wilkins will get it straightened out. He yells at them for the same things we are seeing.

Edited by pioneer42

Covington is a very good basketball team, but sometimes they do some things that make you scratch your head..........but I would put #3 for them against any PG in our area. Nobody talks about her, but if we are talking about sleeper Miss Basketball candidates she's near the top. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dmm88 said:

Covington is a very good basketball team, but sometimes they do some things that make you scratch your head..........but I would put #3 for them against any PG in our area. Nobody talks about her, but if we are talking about sleeper Miss Basketball candidates she's near the top. 

Covington is a good team and the PG is a great player. Covington made some mistakes and didn't play their best last night either. We just made too many mistakes and missed too many opportunities. Covington is tough though. They will be a handful and a tough out.