Rankin ?

8 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

You're not the only parent I've heard say this. One parent I've been friends with for years told me something similar, she knew her son wasn't going to be eligible based on his grade situation and threatened to pull him out of football. Mysteriously weeks later his grades made a big jump and it wasn't from better study habits. 

Maybe he was good with computer's......

EDIT... In response to BarneySox2007's post about BOE. Don't know why it didn't tag.

School board members should be sports fans. Athletics teach work ethic and discipline, promote physical activity, teamwork, and cooperation, join the school and community (your beloved connection), give the kids a sense of school (and community) pride, and last but not least, provide supervision from responsible adults who genuinely care when most kids would be more vulnerable to the undesirable aspects of the world that we live in without it. In fact, most kids will confidentially approach a coach with personal problems that they never would with their parents or even counselors. Add to all that the fact that some kids will pay at least some portion of their higher education from athletic scholarships.  I can only speak about one school with certainty (I'd bet that most are the same), but at Scotts Hill over the last couple of decades at least, most of the top academic students are athletes as well. A top 10 list is published for GPA in the local paper and in the annual, and just about all the faces on the list are familiar to the public who pay admission to watch them play for their school.  To pit academics and athletics against each other when they go hand in hand isn't in the best interest of either... JMO.

Edited by tradertwo
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

EDIT... In response to BarneySox2007's post about BOE. Don't know why it didn't tag.

School board members should be sports fans. Athletics teach work ethic and discipline, promote physical activity, teamwork, and cooperation, join the school and community (your beloved connection), give the kids a sense of school (and community) pride, and last but not least, provide supervision from responsible adults who genuinely care when most kids would be more vulnerable to the undesirable aspects of the world that we live in without it. In fact, most kids will confidentially approach a coach with personal problems that they never would with their parents or even counselors. Add to all that the fact that some kids will pay at least some portion of their higher education from athletic scholarships.  I can only speak about one school with certainty (I'd bet that most are the same), but at Scotts Hill over the last couple of decades at least, most of the top academic students are athletes as well. A top 10 list is published for GPA in the local paper and in the annual, and just about all the faces on the list are familiar to the public who pay admission to watch them play for their school.  To pit academics and athletics against each other when they go hand in hand isn't in the best interest of either... JMO.

You know the area in which I teach trader. Some of my best students are involved in multiple school activities. Heck I had multiple football players, basketball, track, baseball, tennis, golf and even cheerleaders who competed for a national championship at Disney. Of those kids 4 had over a 30 ACT score. Many are Honor students, take AP and dual credit classes. Students win when academics and athletics work hand in hand. 

1 minute ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

You know the area in which I teach trader. Some of my best students are involved in multiple school activities. Heck I had multiple football players, basketball, track, baseball, tennis, golf and even cheerleaders who competed for a national championship at Disney. Of those kids 4 had over a 30 ACT score. Many are Honor students, take AP and dual credit classes. Students win when academics and athletics work hand in hand. 

Yep... includes any activity deemed school related. FFA, band, cheer... even 4-H. I used athletics because of the obvious, but anything that challenges and interests our youth is great. The dumb jock and geeky intellectual stereotypes are good in the movies, but they're about as real as Spiderman! (sorry Stan Lee)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

You're not the only parent I've heard say this. One parent I've been friends with for years told me something similar, she knew her son wasn't going to be eligible based on his grade situation and threatened to pull him out of football. Mysteriously weeks later his grades made a big jump and it wasn't from better study habits. 

If the parent wants to pull a kid put of football, then pull the kid out of football. Parents have the ultimate authority over their child. If a parent wants a child to have a 3.0 to participate but the coach just wants the kid to be eligible, the parent gets to make the call. If the parent really thought the kids grades were not legit, wouldn't it be irresponsible of the parent to not bring it to the attention of the administration or the school board? Is the parent willfully allowing someone else to act counterproductive to their own child's best interest?

That's what makes statements from these parent lack credibility. It's like they are admitting they allowed this to happen with their child and but now they want to take the moral high ground when it was their responsibility in the 1st place

2 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

If the parent wants to pull a kid put of football, then pull the kid out of football. Parents have the ultimate authority over their child. If a parent wants a child to have a 3.0 to participate but the coach just wants the kid to be eligible, the parent gets to make the call. If the parent really thought the kids grades were not legit, wouldn't it be irresponsible of the parent to not bring it to the attention of the administration or the school board? Is the parent willfully allowing someone else to act counterproductive to their own child's best interest?

That's what makes statements from these parent lack credibility. It's like they are admitting they allowed this to happen with their child and but now they want to take the moral high ground when it was their responsibility in the 1st place

Rankin wasn't going to pull his Mr. Football winner out in the middle of his season. He sure let him go after the fact, made sure he wasn't going anywhere else though.