Rule Question

BT Mafia

This scenario played out in the Centennial/Franklin game Friday night.  Did the refs get it right?  Centennial coach was ultimately ejected for protesting the call.

Centennial was faced with a fourth-and-23 at its own 29, but Carter Potts’ punt went off the side of his foot and hit Franklin’s Wyatt Harnage in the helmet, making it a live ball. The Cougars recovered at their own 47, but a discussion by the officials ruled that since there was no true change in possession and Centennial had not made the line to gain, the ball went over to Franklin.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, BT Mafia said:

This scenario played out in the Centennial/Franklin game Friday night.  Did the refs get it right?  Centennial coach was ultimately ejected for protesting the call.

Centennial was faced with a fourth-and-23 at its own 29, but Carter Potts’ punt went off the side of his foot and hit Franklin’s Wyatt Harnage in the helmet, making it a live ball. The Cougars recovered at their own 47, but a discussion by the officials ruled that since there was no true change in possession and Centennial had not made the line to gain, the ball went over to Franklin.

Where was the Franklin player?

7 hours ago, eers said:

Where was the Franklin player?

Not sure.  I wasn't able to attend the game but heard about it from some who were and then saw the newspaper description.  That was my thought, that if the player hit was behind the line of scrimmage it would be considered partially blocked but the article says off the side of the foot and the ball went 18 yards (from the 29 and recovered at the 47).  I'll try to get more details. 

19 minutes ago, BT Mafia said:

Not sure.  I wasn't able to attend the game but heard about it from some who were and then saw the newspaper description.  That was my thought, that if the player hit was behind the line of scrimmage it would be considered partially blocked but the article says off the side of the foot and the ball went 18 yards (from the 29 and recovered at the 47).  I'll try to get more details. 

Doesn't matter where it ended up if it contacted the player behind the line of scrimmage.  

12 hours ago, BT Mafia said:

since there was no true change in possession

Centennial had not made the line to gain

I think I know what the first line means ... but someone explain the second line to me please because I don't understand what  that means.

Edited by kwc