Oak Ridge vs Powell Thursday Night

keepitmoving

3 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Maybe we've just been spoiled with guys like Dave Clary, Russell Mayes, and HTV, but there are people in the community who would be an upgrade.

For sure. I grew up listening to David Clary call Oak Ridge games. He’s an icon of Oak Ridge sports radio, imo. Not the same when he isn’t calling the game. Haven’t had the pleasure of hearing Mr. Mayes, but we all know HTV is top notch as well. 

Edited by KnoxPhoto
  • Like 1

Just now, KnoxPhoto said:

For sure. I grew up listening to David Clary call Oak Ridge games. He’s an icon of Oak Ridge sports radio, imo. Not the same when he isn’t calling the game. Haven’t had the pleasure of hearing Mr. Mayes, but we all know HTV is top notch as well.  

Give Fulton radio a listen on a Friday night. Russell does a fantastic job.

12 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

Do yall remember the NFL experiement on NBC?  They had one game with only crowd noise and stadium public address guy.  It was awesome.  

Yep. Diamond Clear has done that on a couple of its videos I have watched. I actually like that for games steaming on video. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, osunut2 said:

Agreed. I don't want to take away from what they are trying to do, but it's rough. No offense to him, but the guy that has called the bulk of the Powell games really struggles each and every week. Play-by-play can be a tough gig, especially without a color commentator, but DCM would almost be better off providing a video stream with no commentary if that's the best they can do.

Play by play is tough. And most people don't realize that calling a high school game isn't the same as calling a college or pro game.

In the college or pros, you have one job. That is to show up and call a game. Everything you need is provided for you. You get comprehensive stats and notes before the game and after every quarter.

This isn't the case when you call high school games. You get paid by the game and have to set up your own equipment and aren't supported nearly as much. In some cases, you show up to a school and they haven't even bothered to print off rosters for you. Plus there can be other challenges that make doing a good broadcast more difficult.

The main difference between high school and higher levels is most high school play by play guys have day jobs. You try working all day and then going to do play by play right after work. It's not as easy as people think. But yet people still complain.

As for Diamond Clear, the guy who runs it has another full time job. See a theme here? This isn't ESPN or CBS where guys have one job and get paid big bucks. 

Edited by FightOnForWilliamBlount91

11 minutes ago, FightOnForWilliamBlount91 said:

Play by play is tough. And most people don't realize that calling a high school game isn't the same as calling a college or pro game.

In the college or pros, you have one job. That is to show up and call a game. Everything you need is provided for you. You get comprehensive stats and notes before the game and after every quarter.

This isn't the case when you call high school games. You get paid by the game and have to set up your own equipment and aren't supported nearly as much. In some cases, you show up to a school and they haven't even bothered to print off rosters for you. Plus there can be other challenges that make doing a good broadcast more difficult.

The main difference between high school and higher levels is most high school play by play guys have day jobs. You try working all day and then going to do play by play right after work. It's not as easy as people think. But yet people still complain.

As for Diamond Clear, the guy who runs it has another full time job. See a theme here? This isn't ESPN or CBS where guys have one job and get paid big bucks. 

Actually most of the guys who do college games have other broadcasting responsibilities, as well.  Either with local stations or with the networks that they broadcast games for.  Very few are just Saturday play by play guys.  

And almost all of the color guys do color as a weekend gig and they have other jobs, as well. 

Same with the guys who work on the production crews.  

Bottom line - it's just like anything else.  If you put in the necessary prep work you'll do a good job.  If you try to fake it, it's not hard for viewers/listeners to figure out.  It really doesn't take a lot of extra time to be prepared.  Most of the high school broadcasters I know in this state have other jobs, yet they make the time to get prep work done and be ready to do a professional job for their listeners.  It's about prioritizing that the time is important enough to find for game prep.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HTV said:

Actually most of the guys who do college games have other broadcasting responsibilities, as well.  Either with local stations or with the networks that they broadcast games for.  Very few are just Saturday play by play guys.  

And almost all of the color guys do color as a weekend gig and they have other jobs, as well. 

Same with the guys who work on the production crews.  

Bottom line - it's just like anything else.  If you put in the necessary prep work you'll do a good job.  If you try to fake it, it's not hard for viewers/listeners to figure out.  It really doesn't take a lot of extra time to be prepared.  Most of the high school broadcasters I know in this state have other jobs, yet they make the time to get prep work done and be ready to do a professional job for their listeners.  It's about prioritizing that the time is important enough to find for game prep.  

Oh sure you can do prep work.  But it is no substitute for in-depth game notes and stats prepared by sports information departments that have all day to research that stuff.

Are you honestly trying to say there isn't a big difference between broadcasting a high school game and a college game? You are nuts. I have experience doing media work at both levels. There is no contest. Doing a high school game is much harder. It's the same situation in print/web media as well. 

Edited by FightOnForWilliamBlount91

11 minutes ago, FightOnForWilliamBlount91 said:

Oh sure you can do prep work.  But it is no substitute for the in-depth game notes and stats that are given to you by sports information departments that have all day to research that stuff.

Are you honestly trying to say there isn't a big difference between broadcasting a high school game and a college game? You are nuts. I have experience doing media work at both levels. There is no contest. Doing a high school game is much harder. It's the same situation in print/web media as well.  

I'm not trying to argue that one is harder than the other. Like I said earlier, play-by-play can be a tough gig. I've spent enough time in the booth at both the high school and college level to know that a little bit of preparation goes a LONG way. But my goodness, when you listen to many of these DCM broadcasts, it feels like someone simply showed up to the stadium 5 minutes before kickoff, with zero knowledge of the teams on the field, and attempted to do the play-by-play.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by HTV, but after working the booth with him for the years that we did, he provided a great example of how you prepare for a broadcast, at any level.

Edited by osunut2
  • Upvote 2