TSSAA needs less Divisions

Bulldogfan24

Any chance any of these schools or others decide to play football starting next reclassification cycle?  Forgive me if I left a private school in by mistake.

Chatt. School for the Arts & Sciences 444
Clarkrange High School 307
Crosstown High School 369
Culleoka High School 284
Gateway University 285
Hume-Fogg Academic Magnet 905
Independence Academy High School 278
Jackson Central Merry Early College High School 224
Knowledge Academies 349
Knoxville Catholic High School 630
L&N STEM Academy 545
LEAD Academy 439
LEAD Southeast High School 362
Madison Academic Magnet High School 450
Martin Luther King High School 965
Memphis Rise Academy 418
Memphis School of Excellence 242
Merrol Hyde Magnet School 233
Murfreesboro Central Magnet School 821
Nashville Middle College High School 175
Nashville School of Arts 550
Pleasant View School 150
Power Center Academy High School 421
Santa Fe High School 192
Sequoyah High School - Soddy-Daisy 309
Soulsville Charter School 256
Southwest Early College High School 309
STEM Prep Academy 445
STEM School of Chattanooga 279
Tennessee Online Public School 222
Tennessee School for the Deaf 216
The Cohn Learning Center 159
Valor Collegiate Academy 896
Van Buren Co. High School 232
Washburn High School 151

On 11/11/2019 at 7:55 AM, Bulldogfan24 said:

After looking over a few of the brackets I notice some teams made it into the playoffs with terrible records. In the 1A bracket theirs a few with just a 2-8 record and in the 3A bracket theirs a team with 1-9 record. Why should a team with a losing record be in the playoffs? I can see a 4-6 team making in due to a tough schedule but teams with a 2-8 and 1-9 should not be playing in the playoffs. 

The TSSAA will never decrease the amount of classes that they have now. Thus, there is no reason to even talk about it. What they need to do is revamp the playoff system. They used to have a great playoff system in place called The Z plan. That system resulted in many less teams with losing records making the playoffs. If you recall, the top two teams in each region got automatic bids. The rest of the field was set by wild-card bids. That system went away because too many namby-pamby sissy coaches didn't like it because it made them do a little extra work. Say what you want, but the Z plan was much better than what we have now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ReitzFan said:

The TSSAA will never decrease the amount of classes that they have now. Thus, there is no reason to even talk about it. What they need to do is revamp the playoff system. They used to have a great playoff system in place called The Z plan. That system resulted in many less teams with losing records making the playoffs. If you recall, the top two teams in each region got automatic bids. The rest of the field was set by wild-card bids. That system went away because too many namby-pamby sissy coaches didn't like it because it made them do a little extra work. Say what you want, but the Z plan was much better than what we have now.

It is indeed. The year we had Kendal Harper(2007) we made the playoffs at 7-3 and were a 4 seed. The reason for a playoffs is to have the best teams to determine the best team in each respected classification. A 1-9, 2-8 or even an 0-10 team making the playoffs isn’t the answer to determine that

Edited by Goldenpride

On 11/12/2019 at 12:00 PM, old24eagle said:

Maybe I should put it that the 3 and 4 seed in region 2 would whip everyone but Cloudland. Has Sunbright beat anyone besides Oakdale?

When Harriman was fielding competitive teams in recent years Region 2s top 4 handled all the teams in Region 1. It seems as of late GB, Coalfield & OS have been handling Region 1. Nothing against Region 1 other than who wants to drive 2.5 hours to watch a lopsided victory? Even if it was a more competitive region who wants to drive that far? We were forced to play Region 1 District 2 in basketball and baseball and it is completely lopsided in baseball the last 2 years & basketball however more competitive 5 hour round trips sometimes twice a week on school nights are ridiculous. Cheerleaders don’t even travel to away district games. Parents can’t even get to the games. I would rather play 2A in football or even better bring our school back to Region 2 District 3 in the other sports or even District 4. I’d rather play Tellico and the Chattanooga area. Much closer!  Most everyone would rather drive an hour or less and have theIr butt handed to them every once in awhile than do this. I can’t stress how bad the baseball competition is. Those have become DH for the most part just to get them out of the way. It’s not fair to the winners or the losers to have 1/2 innings that last over an hour!

Edited by ladykee

On 11/11/2019 at 10:23 PM, Southtowner said:

Greenback will be slated for Region 1 again. They won't be able to get the TSSAA to approve their appeal this time around. :popcorneater:

Nah I think we’d rather take our chances with Meigs, Oneida, Rockwood, Cumberland Gap & Wartburg. All but CG are teams GB has been playing for years in all sports. We could still schedule Coalfield & a nice OOC schedule. To be honest 2A overall in the East would be a nice fit for Greenback football. Due to only 3 classifications in the other sports we probably need to stay 1A just a different district.

9 hours ago, ladykee said:

When Harriman was fielding competitive teams in recent years Region 2s top 4 handled all the teams in Region 1. It seems as of late GB, Coalfield & OS have been handling Region 1. Nothing against Region 1 other than who wants to drive 2.5 hours to watch a lopsided victory? Even if it was a more competitive region who wants to drive that far? We were forced to play Region 1 District 2 in basketball and baseball and it is completely lopsided in baseball the last 2 years & basketball however more competitive 5 hour round trips sometimes twice a week on school nights are ridiculous. Cheerleaders don’t even travel to away district games. Parents can’t even get to the games. I would rather play 2A in football or even better bring our school back to Region 2 District 3 in the other sports or even District 4. I’d rather play Tellico and the Chattanooga area. Much closer!  Most everyone would rather drive an hour or less and have theIr butt handed to them every once in awhile than do this. I can’t stress how bad the baseball competition is. Those have become DH for the most part just to get them out of the way. It’s not fair to the winners or the losers to have 1/2 innings that last over an hour!

I know you hate the travel and i dont blame you. I am glad yall are in our Basketball district. If you werent there would be very little competition for us at all. until yall came to district 2 it was AWFUL! our worst teams would run away with the district title!