West at Powell Part 2

WestHigh4Life

After watching last weeks West vs Oak Ridge replay on DCM, I think West wins this one and moves forward. Powell is very talented on offense and was too athletic for Rhea County’s young defense but the Powell defense had a hard time stopping the run against Rhea with no real threat of the pass. Rhea had right at 300 yards rushing and West Is much more athletic and balanced than Rhea on offense and defense. It’s completely possible that Powell was distracted with all the accusations last week but I think West’s defense is good enough to at least slow Powell down and their offense should score more than 20 this time. The wet weather could also be a plus for West and anyone who’s watched a lot of high school ball knows it’s not easy to beat the same team twice in a season, West just did that with Oak Ridge but can Powell pull it off? Should be a really good game.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RCfan said:

After watching last weeks West vs Oak Ridge replay on DCM, I think West wins this one and moves forward. Powell is very talented on offense and was too athletic for Rhea County’s young defense but the Powell defense had a hard time stopping the run against Rhea with no real threat of the pass. Rhea had right at 300 yards rushing and West Is much more athletic and balanced than Rhea on offense and defense. It’s completely possible that Powell was distracted with all the accusations last week but I think West’s defense is good enough to at least slow Powell down and their offense should score more than 20 this time. The wet weather could also be a plus for West and anyone who’s watched a lot of high school ball knows it’s not easy to beat the same team twice in a season, West just did that with Oak Ridge but can Powell pull it off? Should be a really good game.

Most people, I think, expected Rhea to give Powell issues due to the offense style they run. At least I did. Teams like West and South Doyle, Powell seems to perform well against.  Powell easily left 2-3 scores on the field the first time they played by dropping wide open td passes. I think the rain will play a factor and be in West’s favor by most likely slowing down the Powell passing attack. I think we’re looking at another grind it out game because of that

Edited by KnoxPhoto

4 hours ago, BigTime1950 said:

Hey BC and Slant. I think there are some opportunities to post some pictures of your dogs over on the 5 class plan thread. They are taking some liberties with how you all do things over in Blount Co.

Hey even better, how about you login and start talking to yourself! Ha!,its funny when you even start arguing with your other screen name!!! :roflolk:

Your best basement troll entertainment! :thumb:

24 minutes ago, KnoxPhoto said:

Most people, I think, expected Rhea to give Powell issues due to the offense style they run. At least I did. Teams like West and South Doyle, Powell seems to perform well against.  Powell easily left 3 scores on the field the first time they played by dropping wide open td passes, but I think the rain will play a factor and be in West’s favor by most likely slowing down the Powell passing attack. I think we’re looking at another grind it out game

I don't think I predicted a score or spread last week, but I figured the Eagles would try to play keep away, and they did a pretty good job of that. I was really impressed with the adjustments Rhea County made after halftime. They really gave Powell's defense fits after the break, although some of that was a direct effect of the offensive system combined with the amount of time that Powell's defense spent on the field.

I don't think there is a lot of mystery to what West wants to do in this game offensively, and we know that they have a solid defense. Powell had a chance to win that game somewhat comfortably the first time around, but those referenced drops were killers. If the weather is questionable, that certainly does not favor Powell's offensive style. Plus, you have the hangover from all of this off-the-field stuff that may still be lingering.

We also know how hard it is to beat a really good team twice in the same season. Powell has beaten teams twice before, but I don't remember the last time they defeated a team as good as West (or SD) twice in the same season. If not in the early-90s, then never. If Powell wins this one, they will have overcome a lot.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, KnoxPhoto said:

Most people, I think, expected Rhea to give Powell issues due to the offense style they run. At least I did. Teams like West and South Doyle, Powell seems to perform well against.  Powell easily left 2-3 scores on the field the first time they played by dropping wide open td passes. I think the rain will play a factor and be in West’s favor by most likely slowing down the Powell passing attack. I think we’re looking at another grind it out game because of that

....cause West's offensive ground game is clown shoes. Put the RB up on the line and teach the line to open a hole! The RB will do the rest!

1 hour ago, dawgs82 said:

Has there been a reason given as to why it was taken down? The man put a lot of his life into that program!

You're right, he did. The Powell community also adopted him as one of their own, even after he left. heck he's the one who wrote the book on recruiting back in the 90's. With that being said, when you point the finger and you have 3 pointing back and he turned in one of his own. I don't agree with schools having transfers that are for sports and sports only. But the Powell community saw Clarks colors two decades ago when the promoted the building to be named after Rudy Stinson (GOAT at Powell, also a transfer) to only have his name put up there. Many in Powell have not forgot that. Time to put #33's name back up

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1