Captain Victory's South Pittsburg Pirates 2020

Southtowner

Some names on another thread are being thrown around for our DC.  Thoughts?  Is Tidmore not coaching next year either?  So may need 2 coaches?  Also, if Vic decides its time to retire, then possibly 3 coaches.  That’s some big shoes to fill.  Personally I would like for Wes Stone to be given the chance, and also I would like to see the Tygard feller make the move to SP.  He would be in for the long haul.

Edited by PiRaTe._.MiKe

3 hours ago, PiRaTe._.MiKe said:

Some names on another thread are being thrown around for our DC.  Thoughts?  Is Tidmore not coaching next year either?  So may need 2 coaches?  Also, if Vic decides its time to retire, then possibly 3 coaches.  That’s some big shoes to fill.  Personally I would like for Wes Stone to be given the chance, and also I would like to see the Tygard feller make the move to SP.  He would be in for the long haul.

PM, why in tarnation do you think the coach down under would be in for the long haul? What is his longest stop? Why would the next be any different? Point here is, willful habits are hard to change! 

16 minutes ago, OLD PIRATE said:

PM, why in tarnation do you think the coach down under would be in for the long haul? What is his longest stop? Why would the next be any different? Point here is, willful habits are hard to change! 

Because MOST assistant coaches move around until they reach the ultimate goal which in MOST cases is become head coach somewhere they know they can hang around for a while.  Everyone knows at NJ you are only employed as long as the “money” allows you to be.  I just think SP is a better fit.

As a long time fan and trying to be objective, Stone should be moved to OC and Grider as HC / DC. Stone has been proven a offensive guru, he has maybe the best football mind I have been around, ever. I know this may upset some but Vic is much better at calling the defense as opposed to offense. I’m gonna go ahead and say it, Vic has trouble in the big games. In his effort to out coach the opponents, he  sometimes changes what is working, thinking the other coach is about to shut it down, causing fans to question what he is doing. Don’t get me wrong we have the best coach anywhere, I just think he needs to delegate the offense to someone else. Grider is the GOAT, I’d just like to see him let someone else shoulder some responsibility. I will stand by for attacks now...

I guess Vic disagrees with your assessment, since he has posted for a DC on the TSSAA website.  So that leads me to believe that he has no confidence in any of your current coaches on the staff for that role.  I don't believe I know any of them so I wouldn't know how sharp any of those fellows are but if I were an assistant on that staff looking to move up, it would sure be a slap in the face not to be promoted from within.  Now, I suppose its possible none of them would have any desire to be in that high profile position with the scrutiny that comes with it, but to me if you don't have guys on staff that desire to move up, then you want to cut some fat all the way around.  Just my opinion.   I suspect with a program such as South Pitt with all the success they have had he had someone lined up and it fell through, that would be the only reason a place so successful would every post on a job board, usually the coach would have a short list of possibles when these types of situations arise and the general public usually never even see it anywhere until they hear someone already got the job.  

41 minutes ago, TheBlackPearl said:

As a long time fan and trying to be objective, Stone should be moved to OC and Grider as HC / DC. Stone has been proven a offensive guru, he has maybe the best football mind I have been around, ever. I know this may upset some but Vic is much better at calling the defense as opposed to offense. I’m gonna go ahead and say it, Vic has trouble in the big games. In his effort to out coach the opponents, he  sometimes changes what is working, thinking the other coach is about to shut it down, causing fans to question what he is doing. Don’t get me wrong we have the best coach anywhere, I just think he needs to delegate the offense to someone else. Grider is the GOAT, I’d just like to see him let someone else shoulder some responsibility. I will stand by for attacks now...

This isn’t a possibility because Stone does not teach at SP or even in Marion County. Also the teaching position has to be filled for the next assistant coach. This isn’t college football where you can just name a guy a coordinator without it matching up with the school.

WS drives from Chattanooga daily for practice typically after it’s already started. Hire will be someone that is at the school full time that can fill both positions (teaching & coaching) and shoulder responsibilities throughout the week.

Edited by TonyHorton91281
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So what all teaching vacancies within the school do they have open or will be coming open?  So by what your saying the pool to choose from is going to be very small if they only have one of two spots that need to be filled, usually if a school wants you they can juggle some things around within reason to get the best coach and not just a coach that teaches x,y, z.  

43 minutes ago, TonyHorton91281 said:

This isn’t a possibility because Stone does not teach at SP or even in Marion County. Also the teaching position has to be filled for the next assistant coach. This isn’t college football where you can just name a guy a coordinator without it matching up with the school.

WS drives from Chattanooga daily for practice typically after it’s already started. Hire will be someone that is at the school full time that can fill both positions (teaching & coaching) and shoulder responsibilities throughout the week.

Tracy Malone was the head coach at whitwell and was NOT employed by Marion County Board of Education. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.