Round 2 - Moore county @ Huntingdon

MustangGuru

4 minutes ago, ThaCity said:

You can throw all that outta the window this year. From my understanding, you guys lost everyone from last year, so this year's team is in the same boat as ours. I like our chances with not only 1, but 2 of our Mr. Football finalists.

Huntingdon doesn't rebuild. New guys step up every year and have Huntingdon ranked in the top 5 in the state year in and year out. I think this game is won by Huntingdon at of the line of scrimmage.

5 minutes ago, Croppygenius said:

I don't know what to think about this match-up. I feel like Moore Co is going to have to put it in the air to win. Can the Mustang pass rush impact the Moore Co air game. Can Huntingdon control the ball to keep Moore Co's explosive offense on the sidelines.Lots of questions to be answered Friday night on the magic carpet.

If your DLine can pressure and contain the MC QB then you should win but it will be a task to do. LBs can’t over pursue because the QB can hurt you with his feet also. He is not as elusive as the Tucker boy from Perry Co a few years  ago but is very similar. I believe this game like most will be determined in the trenches. 

3 minutes ago, ThaCity said:

You can throw all that outta the window this year. From my understanding, you guys lost everyone from last year, so this year's team is in the same boat as ours. I like our chances with not only 1, but 2 of our Mr. Football finalists.

You know not many programs can lose 90% of their starters last year and come back with a very competitive team the next year. Testimony to our great program. These kids have conditioned to be Mustangs since they were babies. They may get beat but I promise you they won't be nervous or intimidated.

14 minutes ago, Croppygenius said:

You know not many programs can lose 90% of their starters last year and come back with a very competitive team the next year. Testimony to our great program. These kids have conditioned to be Mustangs since they were babies. They may get beat but I promise you they won't be nervous or intimidated.

Most 1A programs have a couple good classes that make good teams every 10 years or so, then when they graduate it causes for down years. The mustangs seem to never run into this problem. The most consistent 1A program in Tennessee in my opinion. South Pitt is right there with them.  

Edited by TheCovidQb

17 minutes ago, sum1uno said:

If your DLine can pressure and contain the MC QB then you should win but it will be a task to do. LBs can’t over pursue because the QB can hurt you with his feet also. He is not as elusive as the Tucker boy from Perry Co a few years  ago but is very similar. I believe this game like most will be determined in the trenches. 

I think what you said about the LBs is the key. I think most teams think the way to stop the passing game is to blitz. Problem with bringing the house against MC is their QB is as good of a runner as he is a passer. And if you leave DBs 1 on 1 they may hit a quick pass for a long TD. I may be wrong but I think the only way to slow down MC passing game is to get pressure with front 4 or 5 and try to keep Parker in the pocket.

Just now, Richmond30 said:

I think what you said about the LBs is the key. I think most teams think the way to stop the passing game is to blitz. Problem with bringing the house against MC is their QB is as good of a runner as he is a passer. And if you leave DBs 1 on 1 they may hit a quick pass for a long TD. I may be wrong but I think the only way to slow down MC passing game is to get pressure with front 4 or 5 and try to keep Parker in the pocket.

Yes. Huntingdon and it’s staff have seen some very good QBs past few years and had a couple themselves. They should be well prepared and I say the winner of this game barring any major injuries will win the west. FC will be a tough out but they will have their own physical battle with Huntland this week. 

13 minutes ago, TheCovidQb said:

Most 1A programs have a couple good classes that make good teams every 10 years or so, then when they graduate it causes for down years. The mustangs seem to never run into this problem. The most consistent 1A program in Tennessee in my opinion. South Pitt is right there with them.  

Consistent at what? They have the same amount of 1A state championships as us.

2 hours ago, ThaCity said:

We're used to stopping the run with slow running backs. Don't think yall are prepared to stop the spread with our athletes we will have all over the field. Gonna be another end to a season on the "magic" carpet. MC - 28, Huntingdon - 12

I keep hearing that Huntingdon has slow backs. Huntingdon’s back are not slow by any means. They are as fast as any backfield still playing. They are being compared to some of the speed that the Mustangs have had the past few years. That’s just not fair. That was Mr Football candidates year in and year out. 

57 minutes ago, ThaCity said:

Consistent at what? They have the same amount of 1A state championships as us.

We don't have a 1a championship. We've always played up in 2a. We'll never know but I bet we would have had a few if we had played in 1a. For example in 2004 when Alcoa came from behind to beat us in the 2a championship with a kick-off return by Randal Cobb. We should have won that game. One of the most exciting 2a championships ever played.

28 minutes ago, GeneralForrest said:

Moore has a shot in this game. Take them lightly at your peril. 

I can assure you that NO ONE is taking Moore County lightly. Huntingdon has had some trouble in the past defending really good spread teams. Milan for example this season. I love our 2020 team, they play as hard as any Mustang team I can remember and I’ve been around a long time. Effort can make up for other shortcomings a football team may have. With that said we are not so overly talented that we have or will take anyone for granted.

Edited by Mustang1969

2 hours ago, TheCovidQb said:

I can agree with this statement. Only question I have is how long has Huntingdon been in 1A and how long in 2A? We keep saying that Huntingdon is going BACK to 2A, so how long has it been in between? Was it just the last four years? Curiosity is peaking.