South Pittsburg vs coalfield(Grider against this Henry man)

Roy Dillard

5 minutes ago, crow said:

But ya gotta have the threat of a pass now and then. Don’t believe me? Wanna trade play books?

For some teams yes.Alcoa won a State game by running it EVERY play not one pass.IF you can do that then why would you try and throw it?I know what you are saying but I do agree with Legit if you dont have to then why would you just to make someone happy?

4 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

For some teams yes.Alcoa won a State game by running it EVERY play not one pass.IF you can do that then why would you try and throw it?I know what you are saying but I do agree with Legit if you dont have to then why would you just to make someone happy?

I don’t disagree if you’re so vastly superior that you can just run it down everyone’s throat when they know it’s coming then I’m all about that. But I’m betting Alcoa could’ve passed a little if needed. It wasn’t so they didn’t. A team unwilling to prepare for a time they need to pass will eventually run into that team that can shut them down selling out on the run. I’ve watched it happen more than I care to admit. Greenback has had recent teams that could run at will on us but still passed. Were they just show boating or were they preparing for November?

Edited by crow

My guess is SP has had this date circled for a long time with intentions of making a statement and relieving a few years of pent up frustration.....even though the opponent is not who SP was wanting to make their statement against, it is still a team from the east and I think this one will get ugly fairly quick.   SP by 5............touchdowns.  49 - 14

27 minutes ago, crow said:

This SP team is loaded. Some even put them in the conversation with some of the great SP teams of all time. This is not one of the best coalfield teams they’ve ever had. Everyone can do the math. 

This SP team is head and shoulders the best out of the East and IMO the West as well. I’ve been a part of really good teams and have played against some good CF and SP teams. I’ve only been able to watch this Pirates team play 2-3 games this year but (feel free to correct me).... I just don’t think this year’s SP team is quite to the level of the SP team I played against in 2016 and can even be compared to last year’s SP team. I’m only going off the few games I’ve watched of them this year but there are still some things holding them back to being at that level. Their defense this year might be better than what I played against but the offense is just a touch behind from what it was in ‘16... this is all opinion though. Another point... the main thing keeping these small 1A teams from being really really good is the lack of passing teams they face throughout the season. Year in and year out it has came back to bite a lot of teams just because they haven’t had to defend the pass almost the entire season before the late rounds of the playoffs... this is for all teams in 1A. If SP would’ve had a strong pass defense, they would have been to Cookeville in the past couple years, if not multiple times. Now CF can’t really throw the ball so I don’t see that hurting them this year, but in years past, that has been their Achilles heel. Other than that, it’s tough to stand toe to toe against them.

28 minutes ago, cherokee23 said:

This SP team is head and shoulders the best out of the East and IMO the West as well. I’ve been a part of really good teams and have played against some good CF and SP teams. I’ve only been able to watch this Pirates team play 2-3 games this year but (feel free to correct me).... I just don’t think this year’s SP team is quite to the level of the SP team I played against in 2016 and can even be compared to last year’s SP team. I’m only going off the few games I’ve watched of them this year but there are still some things holding them back to being at that level. Their defense this year might be better than what I played against but the offense is just a touch behind from what it was in ‘16... this is all opinion though. Another point... the main thing keeping these small 1A teams from being really really good is the lack of passing teams they face throughout the season. Year in and year out it has came back to bite a lot of teams just because they haven’t had to defend the pass almost the entire season before the late rounds of the playoffs... this is for all teams in 1A. If SP would’ve had a strong pass defense, they would have been to Cookeville in the past couple years, if not multiple times. Now CF can’t really throw the ball so I don’t see that hurting them this year, but in years past, that has been their Achilles heel. Other than that, it’s tough to stand toe to toe against them.

First of all Greenback had a lot to do with us losing last couple of years... as far as comparing this SP team to past I would say the defense is probably better than it has been In awhile especially up front. A lot bigger folks and a lot more physical. Offensively we lost a lot of OL from last year and I would say 2016 OL was better. Speed wise, this may be the fastest offense we have ever had at SP. just my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Pirate1999 said:

First of all Greenback had a lot to do with us losing last couple of years... as far as comparing this SP team to past I would say the defense is probably better than it has been In awhile especially up front. A lot bigger folks and a lot more physical. Offensively we lost a lot of OL from last year and I would say 2016 OL was better. Speed wise, this may be the fastest offense we have ever had at SP. just my opinion. 

I don't know about the fastest offense ever.  I can think of a lot of fast guys going back to the Adcock brothers. Like I said in the other thread, I would love to see this team running out of the side-saddle single wing with Frame at tailback, Kelley at Fullback, Mount at Wingback and Sanders at blocking back. Davis at Split end etc.

Edited by rlh

3 minutes ago, Pirate1999 said:

That’s my point, I’m not saying this SP team is or isn’t one of the best ever but some SP folks are at least putting them in the conversation with some of the great ones from the past. Nobody is doing that with this bucket team. 

Edited by crow

4 minutes ago, rlh said:

I don't know about the fastest offense ever.  I can think of a lot of fast guys going back to the Adcock brothers. Like I said in the other thread, I would love to see this team running out of the side-saddle single wing with Frame at tailback, Kelley at Fullback, Mount at Wingback and Sanders at blocking back. Davis at Split end etc.

There has been a lot of fast guys here no question. May have been some individuals that were faster but I’m just talking team wise this may be the fastest. There are a lot of guys that can dang run on this team. But there is no question it’s subjective. Lot of great players have come thru here at the Pitt! 

1 hour ago, crow said:

I don’t disagree if you’re so vastly superior that you can just run it down everyone’s throat when they know it’s coming then I’m all about that. But I’m betting Alcoa could’ve passed a little if needed. It wasn’t so they didn’t. A team unwilling to prepare for a time they need to pass will eventually run into that team that can shut them down selling out on the run. I’ve watched it happen more than I care to admit. Greenback has had recent teams that could run at will on us but still passed. Were they just show boating or were they preparing for November?

Nope I do agree with your post also.Rankin was making a point to ones who said you have to pass at some point.lol

11 minutes ago, Pirate1999 said:

Agreed. We did have a lot to do with that but that was because we could sling it around as well as run the ball. If y’all could’ve made us a little more 1 dimensional, probably would’ve been SP at state and not us. Also, from what I saw in the Meigs game this year, SP is definitely bigger than past teams they’ve had and I would agree overall better defensively. The thing I’m sure a lot would agree on would be the 2 things that have hurt y’all in the past.... pass defense and sometimes play calling. Either way that’s in the past and this is present... CF more than likely won’t have a shot in this one especially after halftime.