Betsy vs Haywood 4A title game

Kruger77

23 minutes ago, Tomcatfan2011 said:

IMO this team is more explosive. The 18 team everybody knew if you bottled up reed, and Hines you can stop us. This team we have this year, the wealth is spreaded around. More diverse on offense, if you key one one or two players, the others emerge n vice versa for others 

I guess folks are trying to judge Haywood off of that Lexington game. Keep in mind Lexington only gave up 15 points a game this year. That number is skewed because most of the time the extra 7 came against the B team. Milan is the only team that legitimately put up points on Lexington until they ran into Haywood. Don't sleep on Haywood just because they only scored 17 on Lexington. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 1Eugatnom said:

I guess folks are trying to judge Haywood off of that Lexington game. Keep in mind Lexington only gave up 15 points a game this year. That number is skewed because most of the time the extra 7 came against the B team. Milan is the only team that legitimately put up points on Lexington until they ran into Haywood. Don't sleep on Haywood just because they only scored 17 on Lexington. 

i don't think they realize just how good of a team Lexington was. 

Lexington's only two loses came to Milan and Haywood, and both Milan and Haywood are playing in state championship games this weekend.  I don't believe anybody should be criticizing Haywood for only scoring 17 points against the Big Red.  The Tigers defeated South Gibson who finished 8-3 .  The Hornets other two loses were to Milan.  They defeated Hardin County who finished 10-3.  Hardin County's 3 loses were to Milan and Lexington (2X).  The Tigers also defeated Creek Wood who finished 10-2.  Creek Wood's other loss was to a 10-2 Springfield team. 

Lexington had a darn good football team. 

Edited by stacmot

5 minutes ago, BetsyCyclones16 said:

just watched the 2nd half of the Haywood/ Lexington game and the one thing that stuck out to me most was the Haywood dLine continuously diving at knees.  

For that game that’s what was coached, looking at the Lexington tap, those bigs got to the second and 3rd level swiftly it was also to stop those guards from gettin around hence holding the 2300 yard 29 touchdown mcclaine majority of the game except 1 run

5 minutes ago, Tomcatfan2011 said:

For that game that’s what was coached, looking at the Lexington tap, those bigs got to the second and 3rd level swiftly it was also to stop those guards from gettin around hence holding the 2300 yard 29 touchdown mcclaine majority of the game except 1 run

Yeah I get the tactic bc it causes mass pile up and leaves the blocking up to the TE and FB to take on the linebackers.   It also takes the pull blocks out of the picture if done right.  I’m not saying it was maliciously done,  just something I noticed often.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, stacmot said:

i don't think they realize just how good of a team Lexington was.  Lexington's only two loses came to Milan and Haywood, and both Milan and Haywood are playing in state championship games this coming weekend.  I don't believe anybody should be criticizing Haywood for only scoring 17 points against the Big Red.  The Tigers defeated South Gibson who finished 8-3 and Hardin County who finished 10-3.  Hardin County's 3 loses were to Milan and Lexington (2X).  The Tigers also defeated Creek Wood who finished 10-2.  Lexington had a darn good football team. 

OK...well, Elizabethton beat Science Hill a big 6A team that beat DB. They beat Greeneville twice, the second time after Greeneville beat a very good Anderson County Team. Talk your team up and try to convince yourself you got enough to win. The is a very very good Cyclone Team that has top notch talent and excellent Coaching. I know championship level football :thumb:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haywood scored 18 points on Henry County (10-3), scored 13 points on Covington (8-2), and scored 17 on Lexington (12-2). Despite scoring 35+ points on some teams that were above .500, I wasn't really sold on the teams that they played (mainly South Gibson and Ripley). Haywood cannot score on quality football teams that has the ability to make a deep playoff run. Last week, I mentioned that Haywood need to take advantage of the opportunities they have on offense. This week, they need to take this game to the 35 range, and honestly I do not believe they have the ability to do that (based off what I previously mentioned). I believe Haywood's gameplay is what Lexington did to the Tomcats. I do believe Haywood will try to slow things down, but don't think it's enough. The Fighting Cyclones are battled tested all year with great opponents, and I believe this could get ugly fast. Elizabethton wins this one convincingly, 38-10.

5 hours ago, BCsportsfan said:

OK...well, Elizabethton beat Science Hill a big 6A team that beat DB. They beat Greeneville twice, the second time after Greeneville beat a very good Anderson County Team. Talk your team up and try to convince yourself you got enough to win. The is a very very good Cyclone Team that has top notch talent and excellent Coaching. I know championship level football :thumb:

I think my post was more of a talk up for Lexington and that it shouldn't be considered a disgrace to only score 17 points on Lexington.  I wasn't boasting about Haywood.  I didn't say the Tomcats were championship caliber.  I wasn't trying to convince myself that Haywood had enough to win.   I know how good East Tennessee football is.  I know Betsy is the defending state champions.  I never questioned the fact that Betsy doesn't have a good team with some good quality wins. I never questioned the Cyclones coaches or talent.   I'll readily admit that Betsy has a great well-coached team that will be hard for Haywood to beat.  Heck, they might just be hard for Alcoa to beat!  You and I are trying to make two entirely different points.  Go Bulldogs!

Edited by stacmot
  • Upvote 1

Science Hill was not any good. They finished 4th in their conference. As for beating DB yes they did but DB lost 3 or their last 4 games they actually played. I get mad when people say a 6a team because just because they have a lot of students does not mean they are good in football. Noone ever says we played 3a Alcoa which beat DB too.                   Where do you get Elizabethton played great opponents? East, Central, Grainger,South, Cherokee, William Blount were all bad. Boone and Science Hill were average at best so was Greeneville first game. 2nd game Greeneville was good so I say that is only quality team Elizabethton has played. I still say they win by double digits Saturday.

Edited by Tab

That’s why you play the game... ima bring my guy @JacketLover to this.. 2017 was by far our best team pound for pound. Running passing, defense was elite! We ran into Springfield highly favored... we turned the ball over 5 times and lost 35-28... anybody can be beat, and the ball can bounce any type of way.. we know how well coached you you guys are and how talented you are. But we will show up, we will play hard, we will make y’all say ok, we gotta play. Our boys have had a back against the wall mentality since November of last year. Don’t be surprised at how good this game will be 

29 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Haywood scored 18 points on Henry County (10-3), scored 13 points on Covington (8-2), and scored 17 on Lexington (12-2). Despite scoring 35+ points on some teams that were above .500, I wasn't really sold on the teams that they played (mainly South Gibson and Ripley). Haywood cannot score on quality football teams that has the ability to make a deep playoff run. Last week, I mentioned that Haywood need to take advantage of the opportunities they have on offense. This week, they need to take this game to the 35 range, and honestly I do not believe they have the ability to do that (based off what I previously mentioned). I believe Haywood's gameplay is what Lexington did to the Tomcats. I do believe Haywood will try to slow things down, but don't think it's enough. The Fighting Cyclones are battled tested all year with great opponents, and I believe this could get ugly fast. Elizabethton wins this one convincingly, 38-10.

Henry county made it to the semis, South Gibson made it to the Qtrs, as well as ripley you don’t gotta wow ppl with scoring to be good.. ijs. Scoring gets wowed too much, it’s the grinded out games you live for.

1 hour ago, BetsyCyclones16 said:

Yeah I get the tactic bc it causes mass pile up and leaves the blocking up to the TE and FB to take on the linebackers.   It also takes the pull blocks out of the picture if done right.  I’m not saying it was maliciously done,  just something I noticed often.

That was learned after having it done to us the last two years. Had to do what they had to do. First time all all year.