Oak Ridge High School Football 2021

CardinalGrey

5 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Yeah, we have pretty good size up front, but that doesn’t always mean that it will translate into them being a quality line by any means, although it never hurts to have size. I reckon we’ll see in a few weeks time when South Doyle comes to town. Ain’t no cuppy cakes starting out this year.

Other than the Long run by Vaughn I thought Oak Ridge played good against the Run ... Carson was able to pick the secondary apart though ... I'm sure that'll be one of the best passing teams that Oak Ridge sees this year . Oak Ridge QB looked pretty good to me , plus Oak Ridge has some nice Receivers . I bet Oak ridge will improve a bunch as the season goes along and will be dangerous come playoff time ... That's been Oak Ridge's M.O. the last few seasons . Good luck this year Sweet !

Edited by pepvol
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

Thanks for the update Pep, I appreciate the good luck as well and same to y’all! Yeah, I don’t know what it is about OR, but we never look good in scrimmages so I expected tonight to be a rout, so that score doesn’t surprise me in the least bit. And of course it being y’all, I expected a slaughter, or a take ye behind the woodshed good ole country a$& kickin’. And you’re right, we do tend to get better as the season plays out, but boy, it’d be nice to come outta the gates popping on all cylinders for once. The reason being is we always play Farragut early in the season and in that game we’re never hitting on all cylinders and good lawd, I hate losing to them suckers. Lol!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, SweetScience said:

I thought the improvement was obvious is several areas and the Coach Cats Report is below:

Offensive Line - B - OR ran the ball effectively against Maryville and pass protection was fairly good

Wide Receivers - B - They caught the ball and picked up yardage after the catch

Running Backs - B+ - Three backs (1, 7, 22) all ran hard 

QB - C+ - The numbers confused me but pretty sure Tarwater started and he looked good for the most part except for the interception at the goal line. He hit a couple of pretty passes including the TD to #20. Sharp looked much better than last Friday and also connected on a couple of pretty passes. Like Tarwater, he also had an interception

Defensive Line - C-  - On the first play by Maryville there was a huge hole for the back to run through and it looked like the Maryville offensive line had their way with the OR defensive line

LB - C - I didn't really notice them which is bad

Secondary - C- - Improved from last Friday but still weak

Punting - C+ - This was just OK

Kickers - A - One kickoff went into the end zone and OR made it's only extra point attempt

PS - I noticed Kendal Jackson limp off the field and never come back> I hope this isn't like last year and he's out of a few games

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, catswild said:

I thought the improvement was obvious is several areas and the Coach Cats Report is below:

Offensive Line - B - OR ran the ball effectively against Maryville and pass protection was fairly good

Wide Receivers - B - They caught the ball and picked up yardage after the catch

Running Backs - B+ - Three backs (1, 7, 22) all ran hard 

QB - C+ - The numbers confused me but pretty sure Tarwater started and he looked good for the most part except for the interception at the goal line. He hit a couple of pretty passes including the TD to #20. Sharp looked much better than last Friday and also connected on a couple of pretty passes. Like Tarwater, he also had an interception

Defensive Line - C-  - On the first play by Maryville there was a huge hole for the back to run through and it looked like the Maryville offensive line had their way with the OR defensive line

LB - C - I didn't really notice them which is bad

Secondary - C- - Improved from last Friday but still weak

Punting - C+ - This was just OK

Kickers - A - One kickoff went into the end zone and OR made it's only extra point attempt

PS - I noticed Kendal Jackson limp off the field and never come back> I hope this isn't like last year and he's out of a few games

Thanks for that breakdown, Coach C. :thumb:

4 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Thanks for that breakdown, Coach C. :thumb:

I told y'all that I was listening to your comments about how I was unfair / wrong about being against the grading of the players. I now except that I was ideed wrong ane will do a little grading of my own.

Willie's Straight Shooting Shout Outs...

QBs: Too hard to give them a complete grade because of the Tag Rule.Hate the Rule but if it keeps our QBs healthy I love it. I did think one was better than the other but had a difficult time seeing numbers.

WRs: I liked their play. #13 was quality out there. I was hoping to watch #16 But I never saw line up on the Rebel's bench of the field.

RBs: Ran hard and were difficult to bring down. However, the Rebel's D is so strong it was hard to break a long one.

OL / DL: I will let Coach Cat do them because he knows a lot more than I do.

LBs: Seemed too busy fighting the Rebels OL, who broke through the OR DL, My quess is the Rebels are so well drilled nobody is going to stop their OL from getting to the other team's Lbs.

DBs: Maryville's passing game was terrific.

Special Teams: Not used much but should be okay for the South-Doyle game.

OVERALL:  We got beat by the second best team in the state ( Oakland # 1 ) so the final score is no surprise. For those like me, there was a lot of good from the Wildcats and I am proud of them. Correct me if I am wrong didn't Penalties hurt the Cats too many times?

...OK, that is the way I saw it. I made it trough my first Straight Shooting report. To be honest, I did not enjoy writing this. I will have to come up with another way of writing or just stick with what I did in the past many years. Some of you said negative things about my posts so I don't know if I fit in here anymore...but I love the Cats and will always follow them.

SOURCE...I watch the scrimmage live on the NHSA feed on the TSSAA website.

• Thanks 1

After the game I walked across the field where all the parents and team were gathering to get to my car and I thought I was in the land of the giants when I saw some of those young men for Oak Ridge and talk about boy's that have been working out this winter, unbelievable. They didn't make them like that when I played. Will be pulling for you all as my second favorite team besides Maryville as usual. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

After the game I walked across the field where all the parents and team were gathering to get to my car and I thought I was in the land of the giants when I saw some of those young men for Oak Ridge and talk about boy's that have been working out this winter, unbelievable. They didn't make them like that when I played. Will be pulling for you all as my second favorite team besides Maryville as usual. 

Now now, stop butterin’ us up just to make us feel better about that #### whippin’ y’all gave us, Barn.

Edited by SweetScience