Who is top 5 coaches in girls basketball in all classes

Bob38

19 hours ago, StateChampDad said:

I’m going to have to say it again.  Jason Reuter at Bradley is pretty impressive. We were 123-10 during our most recent 4 years at Bradley.  Never lost a district game, never lost a district tournament game,  never lost a region tournament game, went to the state tournament (4) years in a row, and won a state championship. 

There are a lot of good coaches in this state,  but I wouldn’t trade Reuter for any of them.  

could he take a team out of his district like east hamilton and still be considered a great coach or is it the talent that a coach is fortunate to coach?  of course he is a great coach with a great program 

3 hours ago, EagleOldEyes said:

could he take a team out of his district like east hamilton and still be considered a great coach or is it the talent that a coach is fortunate to coach?  of course he is a great coach with a great program 

That question is somewhat relative.  If it was a year or two then you could say it was talent based.   But he has been consistent for many years.  I think that talent is partially to blame, but player development through him is what makes it happen.  It’s a culture that he instills in his players, and when they buy into it and follow his direction they get success.  I’ve seen first hand how they develop and what they become.  It’s not every day you have a Rhyne Howard on your floor.  Players like that are few and far (FAR) between. But it’s what he does with the others that I believe makes him elite.  I can say that my daughter has definitely benefited from him over the last (4) years.  

So to answer that question I believe he could make another school good.  If you really want to get down to it look at what he’s up against.  Tony draws half of the talent in the county to Cleveland.  

Edited by StateChampDad

On 2/26/2021 at 11:03 PM, TryNotToSuck said:

I can agree with that. He’s the Rick Barnes of high school girls in Tennessee. Rick is sitting at 700+ wins in college basketball, but only one NCAA final four to show for, which was all the way back in 2003. 
You’re frustrated with McNairy Central because you can basically pencil in “20 wins and that’s it” every single year. Lady Bobcats aren’t a threat to anybody anymore.

You are correct 

I apologize if someone has already mentioned the following  coach, Larry Neal Ricker, South Greene High School. Coach passed away long before his time on this planet was up, due to a boating accident and becoming a paraplegic. I believe his teams won 5 titles in 7 final appearances. His teams made states 20 or 21 times. Hundreds of victories verses dozens of defeats. Larry became a friend of mine only after many years. He would be the first to tell you he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Regardless, Coach Larry Neal Ricker was one of the greatest girls basketball coaches this state ever produced.

Edited by noonesfool

1 hour ago, noonesfool said:

I apologize if someone has already mentioned the following  coach, Larry Neal Ricker, South Greene High School. Coach passed away long before his time on this planet was up due to a boating accident and becoming a paraplegic. I believe his teams won 5 titles in 7 final appearances. His teams made states 20 or 21 times. Hundreds of victories verses dozens of defeats. Larry became a friend of mine only after many years. He would be the first to tell you he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Regardless, Coach Larry Neal Ricker was one of the greatest girls basketball coaches this state ever produced.

You have to tell it like it is regardless. If it hurts feelings so be it. South Green was bad to the bone for sure. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2021 at 11:46 PM, 99SportsFan said:

I agree eagle, I think coach Buchanan does a great job with the NG program. I think they have the talent and will put the work in this offseason to contend for the class A State Championship next season.

I would like to take back my comment about Buchanan. 

1 minute ago, baldeagle22 said:

The one about Buchanan being a good coach. He just does some things that don’t make a lick of since. 

Well, his teams do compete very well every year with not only their league but with the AA and AAA teams in East Tennessee and they did beat the #1 team in the state in Murfreesboro this past March, but this current NG team does have a lot of talent though.