South Pittsburg Pirates’ Coaching Search

OLD PIRATE

On 3/19/2021 at 5:35 PM, crow said:

No but dummy can’t figure that out. Last time was 1997. 

My senior year.  Nasty, cold and wet. We were over confident, and didn't perform.   

Yall were better in person than on film. Too dont want to sound like im taking anything away from yall. 

18 hours ago, beerman said:

Deadline for applications extended to the end of the week?  Are we saying we are waiting for someone else to apply? 

I guess we're waiting on Saban or someone that has won a super bowl to apply. To me that's the only thing that can beat winning the CFL as a head coach. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, beerman said:

My senior year.  Nasty, cold and wet. We were over confident, and didn't perform.   

Yall were better in person than on film. Too dont want to sound like im taking anything away from yall. 

I’ve found film to be misleading many times through the years, especially judging team speed. Maybe we need to return to the days when teams sent a live scout to see next week’s opponent? 

2 hours ago, sportman said:

I guess we're waiting on Saban or someone that has won a super bowl to apply. To me that's the only thing that can beat winning the CFL as a head coach. 

While I agree with you, we have to be patient and allow the process to be completed.  Like @piratetom and I was talking about we all know what happened last time.  We had a committee and we hired the S.O.S.  Then for whatever reason things didn’t happen so he left for the job 8 miles up the road.  He did well there then moved on, and hasn’t done as well.  Anyways, then we thought we had another Coach picked that was a hometown guy and alum.  Other than the team he inherited in 2013 that went to state, he just didn’t have a grip on the players attitudes and the “team” concept.  He then had one of the worst records in 20 years in 2014.  So, always picking the hometown guy and alum doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the right guy.  HOWEVER, I do believe CJ is the best choice as a “head” coach.  I haven’t really voiced my opinion publicly, but there it is.  I think one of the aspects that many of us aren’t realizing is that with a new coach there may be new assistants and new volunteers.  All of these things I’m sure have to be somewhat considered.  Again, my vote is CJ, but I’m not on the committee.  :-|

19 minutes ago, PiRaTe._.MiKe said:

While I agree with you, we have to be patient and allow the process to be completed.  Like @piratetom and I was talking about we all know what happened last time.  We had a committee and we hired the S.O.S.  Then for whatever reason things didn’t happen so he left for the job 8 miles up the road.  He did well there then moved on, and hasn’t done as well.  Anyways, then we thought we had another Coach picked that was a hometown guy and alum.  Other than the team he inherited in 2013 that went to state, he just didn’t have a grip on the players attitudes and the “team” concept.  He then had one of the worst records in 20 years in 2014.  So, always picking the hometown guy and alum doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the right guy.  HOWEVER, I do believe CJ is the best choice as a “head” coach.  I haven’t really voiced my opinion publicly, but there it is.  I think one of the aspects that many of us aren’t realizing is that with a new coach there may be new assistants and new volunteers.  All of these things I’m sure have to be somewhat considered.  Again, my vote is CJ, but I’m not on the committee.  :-|

I garuntee Grider was responsible for hiring the SOS (snake oil salesman) .  You think im joking but im not. 

12 minutes ago, Roy Dillard said:

I garuntee Grider was responsible for hiring the SOS (snake oil salesman) .  You think im joking but im not. 

Oh I agree.  It was him and Coach Wilson.  They picked the right guy.  At the time the SOS was the best candidate and was a great coach who could have done great things at SP, IMO.  He was just a SOS

Edited by PiRaTe._.MiKe