What did Maryville Fans think of Alcoa's 4th and Forever Documentary.

I personally thought it was a Hit Job on Maryville High in the very beginning trying to dig at the Rebel name and had to listen to all that butthurt whining even by coaches that attended Maryville during their time. I wouldn't feel that way had they focused on the bad call that turned that game around which it didn't show instead of the regular excuse Maryville is twice our size and all our kids got cramps but none of theirs did. The one thing it did show was how ugly the fans of Alcoa really are to their head coach when things don't go their way at the end of the game. When the coach has to scream into the stands to leave his players alone was enough to show anyone how their Rednecks really get out of control and look for someone to blame whether it be an official or a called play that failed. I know I joke about that call but the coach had enough confident in his team with two three hundred pound linemen to make that 4th and short and to be honest I would of done the same thing. I hate it for the kid that is going back to to California to his fourth school but they should have never shown that, he can't help that his dad is trying to relive his life through him. Personally if they had went with the kid from Sevier County at QB against Maryville they would have won that game. The rest of the film seems to be pretty good especially the Kingsport and State Championship game and the personal struggles from each players perspective.

3 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I personally thought it was a Hit Job on Maryville High in the very beginning trying to dig at the Rebel name and had to listen to all that butthurt whining even by coaches that attended Maryville during their time. I wouldn't feel that way had they focused on the bad call that turned that game around which it didn't show instead of the regular excuse Maryville is twice our size and all our kids got cramps but none of theirs did. The one thing it did show was how ugly the fans of Alcoa really are to their head coach when things don't go their way at the end of the game. When the coach has to scream into the stands to leave his players alone was enough to show anyone how their Rednecks really get out of control and look for someone to blame whether it be an official or a called play that failed. I know I joke about that call but the coach had enough confident in his team with two three hundred pound linemen to make that 4th and short and to be honest I would of done the same thing. I hate it for the kid that is going back to to California to his fourth school but they should have never shown that, he can't help that his dad is trying to relive his life through him. Personally if they had went with the kid from Sevier County at QB against Maryville they would have won that game. The rest of the film seems to be pretty good especially the Kingsport and State Championship game and the personal struggles from each players perspective.

Haven't watched it and don't plan to, but was it Nix & gang said about their old school? 

3 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Ha! Butthurt BarneySox2007!

• Upvote 1

There are a lot of things they shouldn't have shown.  I feel sorry for the QB from California.  His dad is a nut job. I also didn't like the other QB dad saying receiver should have caught that ball.  I hope Maryville High School Football never has a documentary.  I don't like seeing Alcoa fans get on Rankin.  Alcoa fans are spoiled but so is Maryvilles.  I couldn't enjoy my Nephew senior year 1999 because of not only 3 losses but fans talking bad about my Nephew out there playing Quarterback.  There are idiots in every fanbase. 

21 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I enjoyed watching Slant then I got to thinking, I bet Gary edited you out.

I have watched all 8 episodes. To say the documentary as a whole was a hit job on Maryville is simply not true. Yes they focused on Maryville during episodes 3 and 4 but for 75% of the documentary Maryville was not focused on. I don’t know all the history between the two but was anything said about Maryville in the documentary not true?  If it was all true then it being told is part of the history of the rivalry and should be chalked up as such. Yes fans gave Rankin a hard time but it happens with all successful programs. It has been a circus in Milan the past few years until last year so I can relate. Personally I thought the documentary was well made and I credit all involved for being willing to open up and give others an inside look. You do come off as bitter Barney especially when you mention specifics about why Braeden got kicked out of Maryville. It was not mentioned in the documentary the specifics of what happened and as grown adults we don’t need to be blasting his business on here like you did in another thread. 

Edited by BIGPURPLEMACHINE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JSamson7 said:

What is there to be butthurt about?? My thing is if the old Maryville guys are whining about anything maybe they should look in the mirror...

Lot bigger problems in the world than a little Rebel Man on a lunchroom tray that changed a man's life so bad he went over to Alcoa to coach. I doubt he refused to eat any meals off that tray when he went to Maryville. The other coach personally beat Alcoa in 1997 himself with two touchdown catches I can remember like yesterday, I wonder how he got into their good graces over there. At least that one didn't add to the fire like the other one did. Maybe why he backed off the Catholic job, I bet their lunchroom tray had a Leprechaun on the lunchroom tray and he had flashbacks and had to pull his name out of the hat.

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Lot bigger problems in the world than a little Rebel Man on a lunchroom tray that changed a man's life so bad he went over to Alcoa to coach. I doubt he refused to eat any meals off that tray when he went to Maryville. The other coach personally beat Alcoa in 1997 himself with two touchdown catches I can remember like yesterday, I wonder how he got into their good graces over there. At least that one didn't add to the fire like the other one did. Maybe why he backed off the Catholic job, I bet their lunchroom tray had a Leprechaun on the lunchroom tray and he had flashbacks and had to pull his name out of the hat.

No where in the documentary did Nix say anything about Maryville’s heritage and the association with the Rebel flag caused him to go coach at Alcoa. He never mention anything as a specific reason for coaching at Alcoa despite playing for Maryville. You are trying to portray something that isn’t there. This is why you sound like you have an axe to grind. 

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Wow, some virtue signaling huh? People tend to forget how they were back in the day but I sure don't. Disappointed that would even come up if it's true, but people are easy to become hypocrites these days if it fits a current narrative. 

Edited by JSamson7

4 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

This right here made my day. Funny stuff Barn. And I’m so glad Derek turned this down. 

• Like 1

It sad that so many adults cannot see the reality here. Do you really think Alcoa wrote this script? If you do, you are sadly mistaken. HBO wrote this script with their agenda imbedded. What has been our daily news for over three years? Racism. Racism. Racism!  HBO’s agenda will be much like all the other sports journalists; i.e. ESPN.  Black school vs white privilege (their view, not mine). 

If you think Alcoa wrote this and guided this agenda then you are blind to the Liberal agenda in this country. HBO’s program outline and story board was black school playing white school whose mascot just happens to be the Rebels.  Otherwise, HBO would have never made this documentary. 

Bottom line: They are trying to separate our communities like the rest of nation.  HBO walked into Alcoa with an agenda; white vs black.  That gets clicks and sells subscriptions today. Are there issues? Absolutely. But none worth destroying these two communities over. 

Please. Stop now and refocus your anger on HBO. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1