Trenton Peabody @ Dyersburg

GrumpyBulldog

7 hours ago, ShaneJacobs said:

I am Shane Jacobs, football coach at Peabody. I sincerely appreciate anyone who has an interest in high school football. I believe, unfortunately, it has become just about the only aspect of a young man’s life which he must earn. Too many things are given. The game is unfair - the best team doesn’t always win. The most talented, the hardest working, the most prepared, the most invested teams do not always win. It is necessary to be all of these things just to give yourself a chance. And even if you do all of these things, give your absolute best, play your freaking guts out, you still might lose. You still might fail. That’s football. That’s life. It’s not fair. Football and life - it’s not about what happens to you, it’s about how you RESPOND to what happens to you. We preach this every day in our program.

The decision to play Lake Co in a potential de facto Region Championship game was simple, a no-brainer. Lake Co kids do not deserve to have that taken from them. I’m not in this business for just Peabody kids (although I love every kid in our program with everything I got). I’m in this business for all kids. All educators feel the same way. I sincerely believe that. The difficult part was how to make it happen. For reasons too long to explain, our Dyersburg game was the only option. I agonized over this for 3 days. I wanted to do right by Lake Co and their kids, but I wanted to do right by Dyersburg, their great coach, and, in my opinion, perhaps the most talented team in West Tennessee. Fellas, Dyersburg is good. They have a special group of players this year. They are for real and will be a nightmare for opponents in November. They unquestionably have a great shot at representing the west in Chattanooga. Playing them will absolutely be an incredible challenge for our coaches and players - a challenge we want, a challenge West Tenn fans deserve to see.

My thinking - We guarantee Lake Co a Region Championship game. We and Dyersburg will have (unfortunately and inevitably) more COVID cancellations. Finding a way to shift other games or, and highly likely in my opinion, we will have COVID cancellations at the same time which will give us the opportunity to play this much-anticipated game. If this does not happen, we will lose our home game with Dyersburg next year. A Dyersburg-Peabody gate will potentially bring in $12K-$15K in revenue for our program. That’s a huge risk financially for us. At the end of the day, the streak made zero impact on the decision. The money would have been the reason to accept the forfeit with Lake Co, and that just never felt right. Ultimately, I’m extremely hopeful both games happen, and I really think they will. Taking an opportunity from Lake Co because of money was just hard for me to do. I really felt moving Lake Co to Week 6 gave us the best possibility at both games happening.

Heres my request to everyone reading this…When this game happens (not if, but WHEN), please make sure the banter is strictly about football (i.e. predictions, analysis, keys to the game, etc.) When we take cheap shots at others’ communities and/or programs, it takes away from the kids on the field and the limelight they’ve earned. 
I will personally answer questions to anyone who sends me an email (shane.jacobs@trentonssd.org). Responding on an anonymous forum is much more impersonal and less effective. Perhaps I’ve cleared a few things up. If not, email me. I have no problem explaining any and all of this in more detail. If you love high school football, I’m grateful for you, and I’ll show you by responding to your inquiries. 

Sounds good but y'all were still looking for a game after declining Dyersburg and LA.

7 hours ago, ShaneJacobs said:

I am Shane Jacobs, football coach at Peabody. I sincerely appreciate anyone who has an interest in high school football. I believe, unfortunately, it has become just about the only aspect of a young man’s life which he must earn. Too many things are given. The game is unfair - the best team doesn’t always win. The most talented, the hardest working, the most prepared, the most invested teams do not always win. It is necessary to be all of these things just to give yourself a chance. And even if you do all of these things, give your absolute best, play your freaking guts out, you still might lose. You still might fail. That’s football. That’s life. It’s not fair. Football and life - it’s not about what happens to you, it’s about how you RESPOND to what happens to you. We preach this every day in our program.

The decision to play Lake Co in a potential de facto Region Championship game was simple, a no-brainer. Lake Co kids do not deserve to have that taken from them. I’m not in this business for just Peabody kids (although I love every kid in our program with everything I got). I’m in this business for all kids. All educators feel the same way. I sincerely believe that. The difficult part was how to make it happen. For reasons too long to explain, our Dyersburg game was the only option. I agonized over this for 3 days. I wanted to do right by Lake Co and their kids, but I wanted to do right by Dyersburg, their great coach, and, in my opinion, perhaps the most talented team in West Tennessee. Fellas, Dyersburg is good. They have a special group of players this year. They are for real and will be a nightmare for opponents in November. They unquestionably have a great shot at representing the west in Chattanooga. Playing them will absolutely be an incredible challenge for our coaches and players - a challenge we want, a challenge West Tenn fans deserve to see.

My thinking - We guarantee Lake Co a Region Championship game. We and Dyersburg will have (unfortunately and inevitably) more COVID cancellations. Finding a way to shift other games or, and highly likely in my opinion, we will have COVID cancellations at the same time which will give us the opportunity to play this much-anticipated game. If this does not happen, we will lose our home game with Dyersburg next year. A Dyersburg-Peabody gate will potentially bring in $12K-$15K in revenue for our program. That’s a huge risk financially for us. At the end of the day, the streak made zero impact on the decision. The money would have been the reason to accept the forfeit with Lake Co, and that just never felt right. Ultimately, I’m extremely hopeful both games happen, and I really think they will. Taking an opportunity from Lake Co because of money was just hard for me to do. I really felt moving Lake Co to Week 6 gave us the best possibility at both games happening.

Heres my request to everyone reading this…When this game happens (not if, but WHEN), please make sure the banter is strictly about football (i.e. predictions, analysis, keys to the game, etc.) When we take cheap shots at others’ communities and/or programs, it takes away from the kids on the field and the limelight they’ve earned. 
I will personally answer questions to anyone who sends me an email (shane.jacobs@trentonssd.org). Responding on an anonymous forum is much more impersonal and less effective. Perhaps I’ve cleared a few things up. If not, email me. I have no problem explaining any and all of this in more detail. If you love high school football, I’m grateful for you, and I’ll show you by responding to your inquiries. 

You're a good one Coach Jacobs, not just because of your football knowledge, you truly are invested in what's best for the kids, and not just the ones that play for you.  I've respected the Peabody program from afar, but this takes it to another level, I can't give you a roll tide cause i'm a vols fan, but I'll be pulling for Peabody as long as you're in charge.  Good luck the rest of way coach!

8 minutes ago, TCRadio said:

You're a good one Coach Jacobs, not just because of your football knowledge, you truly are invested in what's best for the kids, and not just the ones that play for you.  I've respected the Peabody program from afar, but this takes it to another level, I can't give you a roll tide cause i'm a vols fan, but I'll be pulling for Peabody as long as you're in charge.  Good luck the rest of way coach!

He a class act for sure ,hopefully one day he will be our superintendent , wink wink coach !

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, PeabodyPride said:

I seen moon in that first game against lc and he is a stud for sure !

He's a baller for sure. Not bad on the basketball court either. We're a young Football team though. Most of our starters are sophomores and jrs. I think we have 6 seniors and 3 of them are starters if I'm not mistaken. How many seniors does Peabody have?

8 hours ago, ShaneJacobs said:

Jacobs man are you still going to autograph my Murphy Fair book? 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, WarEagleCartman said:

He's a baller for sure. Not bad on the basketball court either. We're a young Football team though. Most of our starters are sophomores and jrs. I think we have 6 seniors and 3 of them are starters if I'm not mistaken. How many seniors does Peabody have?

11 - 8 of which are starters, we seem to hover around the 10/13 seniors yearly !

8 minutes ago, WarEagleCartman said:

Your line was huge and physical last year