Enrollment Numbers

38 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Good points all around. It’s amazing how many people on these boards complain about open zoning and don’t understand it. 

Bro, it is not common knowledge. I had to be educated about it. Before I talked to my buddy about it, I thought the only open enrollment school in the area was Crockett. I was just flat wrong. Most schools in the area are open enrollment.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ManOfMillions said:

Bro, it is not common knowledge. I had to be educated about it. Before I talked to my buddy about it, I thought the only open enrollment school in the area was Crockett. I was just flat wrong. Most schools in the area are open enrollment.

I agree with you 100%. It is indeed not common knowledge and most people would have to look into it to fully understand it. But my point is that soooo many people complain on here about how open zoning works and they haven’t bothered to look into it. On another note…. your buddy sounds like a pretty smart fella. Lol. 

1 hour ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I agree with you 100%. It is indeed not common knowledge and most people would have to look into it to fully understand it. But my point is that soooo many people complain on here about how open zoning works and they haven’t bothered to look into it. On another note…. your buddy sounds like a pretty smart fella. Lol. 

I'd bet that you think he's handsome, honest, and can dismantle a buffet in ten minutes too;-)! I knew when I read ManOFMillions post who his "buddy" was, just because I knew you knew about zoning. Shame how many point their finger at Alcoa, Maryville, and a select few others, when their system has the same policy.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, cbg said:

A now retired MNPS educator told me that when the public/private split took place in the 90’s it was a bad idea!  When I ask why the split was a bad idea he informed me that the rich (private schools) would only get richer and the distance between the two in both academics and athletics would get even wider.  When having lunch with him back in February I reminded him of our conversation and he informed me that the academic gap was much worse than he ever expected.  After retiring this man had been called back to teach an AP Biology and AP Chemistry class at one of the MNPS high schools.  To set the stage for my next question you must understand that he has a son that has been a long time educator at a top prep school in Tennessee.  I ask him how many of the kids in the AP Biology and AP Chemistry class could go to the prep school where his son was teaching and do well.  His answer was that he had 13 students in one of the classes and 12 students in the other class he was teaching and he had only 1 student that would do well.  He had 1 additional student that was capable of doing the work but they didn’t have the mental toughness to do 3 hours of homework day in and day out.  As a graduate of MNPS I ask the question, as a society when and why did we decide that it was ok to fail our public school students and their families by not demanding that every student receive a great academic education?  

How dare you bring up academics on a high school sports thread;-)!!! You want to see the gap widen even further? If the voucher program ever passes, public school systems near metro areas will go in the toilet. Proponents tout the word "choice" to the public and they lap it up, but parents will never have control over where their kid goes to school by controlling the funds...the privates grant admission to their school, and would love the right to "cherry pick" the brightest and most well behaved from the publics, while being paid tuition from government funding. Same principal as athletics, only a much more disastrous scale for public education.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

ok, correct me if I am wrong here then.  in nashville, unless you get into a magnet school (not usually football schools anyway), you go to the school you are zoned for.  a football player from one school can't go to another unless he is zoned for it.  my understanding is oakland has an IB program so regardless of where you are zoned you can enroll there.  that is what I was referring to.  so if riverdale only gets the kids that are zoned for that school but oakland can have kids transfer in for the IB program, that is an unfair advantage.  that is what I meant when I said open zoning.  my kids went to the school they were zoned for in davidson county and i could not just pick another school.

and to whoever said a private school coach can drive across the state to recruit a player, that is false.  they cannot have contact with a player until the player contacts the school admissions.

2 hours ago, theawesomebro said:

ok, correct me if I am wrong here then.  in nashville, unless you get into a magnet school (not usually football schools anyway), you go to the school you are zoned for.  a football player from one school can't go to another unless he is zoned for it.  my understanding is oakland has an IB program so regardless of where you are zoned you can enroll there.  that is what I was referring to.  so if riverdale only gets the kids that are zoned for that school but oakland can have kids transfer in for the IB program, that is an unfair advantage.  that is what I meant when I said open zoning.  my kids went to the school they were zoned for in davidson county and i could not just pick another school.

and to whoever said a private school coach can drive across the state to recruit a player, that is false.  they cannot have contact with a player until the player contacts the school admissions.

https://tsbanet-my.sharepoint.com/personal/policy_tsba_net/_layouts/15/onedrive.aspx?id=%2Fpersonal%2Fpolicy_tsba_net%2FDocuments%2FMetro-Nashville Public Schools%2FMobile%2FSection 6%2F6204.pdf&parent=%2Fpersonal%2Fpolicy_tsba_net%2FDocuments%2FMetro-Nashville Public Schools%2FMobile%2FSection 6&ga=1

Above is the metro Nashville school policy that makes it open zone. They may indeed have rules that require kids inside the district to go tho their zoned school. To be honest I didn’t look into it. But this policy shows that they allow non-resident students to attend school in Nashville and can choose the metro school they attend. It just has to be approved. They even allow out of state students. This makes them open zoned. Most school districts in TN have the same policy. 

3 hours ago, theawesomebro said:

You are not correct (See attached Nashville Transfer Policy and Rutherford County Transfer Policy).  ANY school that has a transfer policy on its school board policy is an Open Zoned School because they can receive transfers from student's who don't live it set zone.  You have to request these and they can either be approved or denied but a policy is still in place.  You also have to stay out of trouble or the school can revoke that transfer policy in certain school system. (I've seen this first hand when a three year starting QB got into a fight and was an out of zone student so the parents bought a house in that zone so he could still attend instead of getting kicked out)

https://www.mnps.org/learn/register-for-school/transfers

https://tsbanet-my.sharepoint.com/:w:/g/personal/policy_tsba_net/EeuhERZ4i19IoDHQxg9IaJ4BnreYIMc4bGE1aEGSdbotgg?rtime=KwADnpFa2kg  

Edited by Swipes

18 hours ago, tradertwo said:

How dare you bring up academics on a high school sports thread;-)!!! You want to see the gap widen even further? If the voucher program ever passes, public school systems near metro areas will go in the toilet. Proponents tout the word "choice" to the public and they lap it up, but parents will never have control over where their kid goes to school by controlling the funds...the privates grant admission to their school, and would love the right to "cherry pick" the brightest and most well behaved from the publics, while being paid tuition from government funding. Same principal as athletics, only a much more disastrous scale for public education.

Speaking of handsome earlier, I thought I would chime in. This is legit.