West TN Top Football Programs Historically

5 hours ago, stacmot said:

Since championships seem to be the only criterion most people are using.  I’ve decided to use a touch of sarcasm to put together my own list.  It’s totally unbiased.  I hope no one will be offended.

1.  Peabody 4 state championships
2.  Union City 4 state championships
3.  Milan 4 state championships
4.  Lake Co. 3 state championships
5.  Henry Co. 2 state championships

In order to break the tie between Peabody, Union City, and Milan I looked at each team's most recent championship.

Peabody – 2020
Union City – 2017
Milan – What can I say?  The Dawgs haven’t won a championship since the last century.  (1999)

Others receiving votes (In no particular order):

Westview 1 state championship
Huntingdon 1 state championship
Humboldt 1 state championship
Dyer County 1 state championship
Dresden 1 state championship
Hollow Rock-Bruceton 1 state championship

Well, I take that part about being unbiased back.  Since 8 of the 11 schools that I’ve mentioned are 1A or 2A, I seem to have created a list that is somewhat small school biased.

And in response to your replies,  I know!  Haywood has never won a state football championship.

Every kid working right now is doing so with the goal of winning a state championship. It's the ultimate goal so it should hold the most weight. 

11 minutes ago, WarEagleCartman said:

Every kid working right now is doing so with the goal of winning a state championship. It's the ultimate goal so it should hold the most weight. 

I respectfully disagree, but if that's the case, championships should have been listed as the sole criterion in the first place.  A championship or two won 10+ years ago doesn't necessarily make a program premier.

Edited by stacmot

39 minutes ago, stacmot said:

I respectfully disagree, but if that's the case, championships should have been listed as the sole criterion in the first place.  A championship or two won 10+ years ago doesn't necessarily make a program premier.

I don’t think they should be the sole criterion but I do think they should be the most important criterion. I think post season success, consistently winning year to year are important as well but championships are the most. Just my two cents. 

1 hour ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I don’t think they should be the sole criterion but I do think they should be the most important criterion. I think post season success, consistently winning year to year are important as well but championships are the most. Just my two cents. 

Once again, I respectfully disagree, but you are the one who created the thread and you have the right to determine the criteria.  To me, the difference is like the difference between climate and weather.  I’m looking at it as a program’s overall success, not just one day or night in December involving one, two, three, or four teams within a school’s overall program.  But, that’s just me.  That said, I do believe championships should be considered.  I just wouldn't give them so much weight in relation to the other criteria. 

Edited by stacmot

19 minutes ago, stacmot said:

Once again, I respectfully disagree, but you are the one who created the thread and you have the right to determine the criteria.  To me, the difference is like the difference between climate and weather.  I’m looking at it as a program’s overall success, not just one day or night in December involving one, two, three, or four teams within a school’s overall program.  But, that’s just me. 

I agree with both of you. The mark of a great program is being able to continue being successful over a long period of time. However, everyone remembers championships and right or wrong, it's what most fans will measure a team/coach by.

7 hours ago, WarEagleCartman said:

8-2, 9-1, 10-0 seasons can be deceiving depending on the opponents. A state championship speaks for itself. 

For that team in that season, but not necessarily for the program as a whole (not historically). 

I'm not arguing against a program like Peabody, but I'll use them as an example.  At this time, Peabody is there.  They belong at, or near. the top of the list.  I'm not disputing that.  Were they there 20 years ago?  Will they be there 20 or 30 years from now?

Can a program really ride on the success of a team that won a state championship 20+ years ago?  You will remember that championship and you should, but maybe I'm too old.   I can also remember when some of those programs suffered through losing seasons, embarrassing defeats, and poor play-off performances.  All programs have good cycles and bad cycles.  It's just the nature of things. 

And by the way, I'm not saying that the road to the championship isn't tough, but couldn't quality of opponents apply to the play-offs as well?

I'm not saying that you're right or that I'm right.  It's not a bad thing to have different opinions.  We'll just have to agree to disagree. 

Edited by stacmot

4 hours ago, stacmot said:

For that team in that season, but not necessarily for the program as a whole (not historically). 

I'm not arguing against a program like Peabody, but I'll use them as an example.  At this time, Peabody is there.  They belong at, or near. the top of the list.  I'm not disputing that.  Were they there 20 years ago?  Will they be there 20 or 30 years from now?

Can a program really ride on the success of a team that won a state championship 20+ years ago?  You will remember that championship and you should, but maybe I'm too old.   I can also remember when some of those programs suffered through losing seasons, embarrassing defeats, and poor play-off performances.  All programs have good cycles and bad cycles.  It's just the nature of things. 

And by the way, I'm not saying that the road to the championship isn't tough, but couldn't quality of opponents apply to the play-offs as well?

I'm not saying that you're right or that I'm right.  It's not a bad thing to have different opinions.  We'll just have to agree to disagree. 

I think you have to look for consistency throughout the particular school existence. For example Lake County high school started playing football in the mid 1960's. Lake County has been a very good program in every decade. Of course like all schools they had a few down years. In Lake County's school history the Falcons have played in 6 state title games winning 3 of those. 14 semifinals games and many quarterfinals games. The Falcons have also won around 60 playoff games in school history. State titles should not be dismissed but several other factors should also be involved when trying to determine a subject like this. Lake County should be in heavy consideration for at least at top 5 to 7 ranking.

• Upvote 1