West TN Top Football Programs Historically

On 7/19/2022 at 7:55 AM, stacmot said:

For that team in that season, but not necessarily for the program as a whole (not historically). 

I'm not arguing against a program like Peabody, but I'll use them as an example.  At this time, Peabody is there.  They belong at, or near. the top of the list.  I'm not disputing that.  Were they there 20 years ago?  Will they be there 20 or 30 years from now?

Can a program really ride on the success of a team that won a state championship 20+ years ago?  You will remember that championship and you should, but maybe I'm too old.   I can also remember when some of those programs suffered through losing seasons, embarrassing defeats, and poor play-off performances.  All programs have good cycles and bad cycles.  It's just the nature of things. 

And by the way, I'm not saying that the road to the championship isn't tough, but couldn't quality of opponents apply to the play-offs as well?

I'm not saying that you're right or that I'm right.  It's not a bad thing to have different opinions.  We'll just have to agree to disagree. 

No I get where you're coming from and you make more than valid points defending your view on the subject. Like you said though we just disagree and that's ok! I guess you're more judging the program by total consistency while I'm looking at pinnacle of success more. My only pushback is would you have Lexington up there with Haywood? They're almost identical in winning percentage historically. Playoff historically Haywood's 33-30 and Lexington is 24-29. 15 and 13 district titles respectively. Lexington also has more wins in 3 of the last 5 decades. Not including the 2020's. 

4 hours ago, WarEagleCartman said:

No I get where you're coming from and you make more than valid points defending your view on the subject. Like you said though we just disagree and that's ok! I guess you're more judging the program by total consistency while I'm looking at pinnacle of success more. My only pushback is would you have Lexington up there with Haywood? They're almost identical in winning percentage historically. Playoff historically Haywood's 33-30 and Lexington is 24-29. 15 and 13 district titles respectively. Lexington also has more wins in 3 of the last 5 decades. Not including the 2020's. 

@WarEagleCartmanI believe people are tired of this thread, and I think it has ventured far from being a topic that should be in the 1A-2A subforum.  Let’s just agree to disagree and give people a break.  You’re not going to change my mind, and I’m not going to change yours.

Now, to answer your question…I certainly would.  Lexington has a great football history especially under the tenure of Coach Jim Stowe (the father of Dyersburg coach Bart Stowe).  The Tomcats and Tigers have similar stats, but I would give Haywood the advantage.

1.      State Championships – Haywood 0, Lexington 0
(Haywood is 2-4 in 6 semifinal appearances.  Lexington is 0-4 in 4 semifinal appearances.)

2.     All Time Wins – Haywood 696 , Lexington 531. Haywood and  Lexington have met 21 times throughout history.  Haywood leads the series 12-7-2.
Haywood has had 75 winning seasons, Lexington has had 57

3.     Recent Success 
Wins over the last 5 decades including 2020 and 2021 - Haywood 385, Lexington 371
Wins over the last 5 years - Haywood 56 (with 3 district titles-2019,2020,2021), Lexington 32 (with 1 district title-2020)
Haywood has won 16 playoff games over the past 5 years..  Lexington’s has won 5 playoff games over the past 5 years
Haywood has played in four straight semifinals (2018, 2019, 2020, 2021), Lexington has played in one semifinal during that time (2020).
Haywood defeated Lexington 17-14 in the 2020 state semifinals.

4.     Consistency
Haywood has won 10 or more games every year over the past 6 years, Lexington has won 10 or more games only once (2020) in the last 6 years. 

Community Support – Advantage Lexington.

Edited by stacmot
  • Like 2

@BIGPURPLEMACHINE Found an Interesting Article about NE Tennessee Football Programs since the Play-Offs started in 1969. How they did their ranking was a point system and then overall total points. Greeneville and Elizabethton were 1 & 2 and both Communities are very similar and schools equal sized.  Fun fact is both always played up a classification until the TSSAA went to 6 classifications.   Wonder what that would look like for West, TN?

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/sports/greeneville-elizabethton-top-football-playoff-history/article_d3fbd332-0699-11ed-b574-cb3a32949470.html

21 hours ago, Swipes said:

@BIGPURPLEMACHINE Found an Interesting Article about NE Tennessee Football Programs since the Play-Offs started in 1969. How they did their ranking was a point system and then overall total points. Greeneville and Elizabethton were 1 & 2 and both Communities are very similar and schools equal sized.  Fun fact is both always played up a classification until the TSSAA went to 6 classifications.   Wonder what that would look like for West, TN?

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/sports/greeneville-elizabethton-top-football-playoff-history/article_d3fbd332-0699-11ed-b574-cb3a32949470.html

I could not find the info on the number of times Milan has played in the semis and qtrs. I believe the semis is approaching 20 and the qtrs is more than I can imagine. Just using the championships and runners up combined with the 88 total playoff wins Milan would be at 320 points. If I could find the other info there would be more that could be added. Great article Swipes. Thanks for sharing!!!

1 hour ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I could not find the info on the number of times Milan has played in the semis and qtrs. I believe the semis is approaching 20 and the qtrs is more than I can imagine. Just using the championships and runners up combined with the 88 total playoff wins Milan would be at 320 points. If I could find the other info there would be more that could be added. Great article Swipes. Thanks for sharing!!!

This site stopped keeping up with Tennessee high school stats at the end of the 2020 season.

https://www.ahsfhs.org/tennessee/teams/playoffs.asp?Team=Milan

For some reason I’m not having any luck getting this site to open today.

https://ghsfha.org/w/Special:THSFHS/school/teams/Milan/2021

7 minutes ago, stacmot said:

This site stopped keeping up with Tennessee high school stats at the end of the 2020 season.

https://www.ahsfhs.org/tennessee/teams/playoffs.asp?Team=Milan

For some reason I’m not having any luck getting this site to open today.

https://ghsfha.org/w/Special:THSFHS/school/teams/Milan/2021

Thanks Stac!!  According to this site Milan has made it to the semis 19 times and the qtrs/3rd rd 29 times. Lots of consistency and success there.