Eagleton

I plan on going to Eagletons first game this season against tellico Plains, gonna make the drive from athens  over to tellico, be the first time I've went to a new high schools first game, and I'm just curious how their team is gonna look, I've thought about possibly waiting for the game after that to check out their home field.

4 hours ago, RichyRich said:

I plan on going to Eagletons first game this season against tellico Plains, gonna make the drive from athens  over to tellico, be the first time I've went to a new high schools first game, and I'm just curious how their team is gonna look, I've thought about possibly waiting for the game after that to check out their home field.

Did the QB transfer or stay. Kid must be a pretty  special talent.

1 hour ago, pujo said:

Did the QB transfer or stay. Kid must be a pretty  special talent.

He stayed Pujo.I drove by there yesterday morning and they were on the pratice field. I noticed the bleachers were just now starting to be installed and the scoreboard has yet to be installed, only the steel frame which stood very tall out of the ground. The press box is three stories tall. 

I hope they do excellent!!! I am skeptical because i recall when Lakeway opened up people predicted they would be a dominate force in football,basketball men & women & softball.They have fallen way short of expectations & moved up in football& will be lucky to win more than 3 games each season in the next 3 or 4 years 

Edited by highschoolfbfan777

Eagleton was once the hotbed of Blount County good football talent. Maryville won 3 championships in the 70's with a load of that talent. It was also the prime hub for the Heritage feeder system then out of nowhere someone in the county cut the funds for the football program in the late 80's early 90's and since Alcoa was so close most paid tuition and went there.This was a major blow that sent Heritage into the land of no return. Once they started the program back at Eagleton the damage was done and most of anyone worth their salt went to Alcoa that lived in the area even to this day. Eagleton may be able to win some of their kids back if this program takes off. Being in 2 A I can't see why not. Only big question is that this staff is loaded with so many coaches that have came off the William Blount coaching staff over the years but who knows. William Blount is by far the worst 6 A team overall since the TSSAA brought on 6A and you can actually go in and check on that one. All of that happened after Meadows left and it's been one bad chapter after the next down there and don't look no better this year. Shad was about to break the all time losing record last year and got out claiming bad health reasons. He got healthy real quick when ask to take the controls at Eagleton last year and even got more healthy to go coach at Catholic. From the people I know out there most like these coaches really well so I do hope them lots of luck. I did drive by yesterday hoping everything was ready but they're just starting to put the aluminum stands together and the scoreboard frame was the only thing standing. I looked at that and the first thing I thought of, it woundn't be Blount County if every person at the first game was standing up and asking how much time do they think is left in the quarter or what's the score while everyone is scratching to death being eaten alive from mosquitoes from the one acre retention pond right beside the football field that looks like the Florida Everglades.

7 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Eagleton was once the hotbed of Blount County good football talent. Maryville won 3 championships in the 70's with a load of that talent. It was also the prime hub for the Heritage feeder system then out of nowhere someone in the county cut the funds for the football program in the late 80's early 90's and since Alcoa was so close most paid tuition and went there.This was a major blow that sent Heritage into the land of no return. Once they started the program back at Eagleton the damage was done and most of anyone worth their salt went to Alcoa that lived in the area even to this day. Eagleton may be able to win some of their kids back if this program takes off. Being in 2 A I can't see why not. Only big question is that this staff is loaded with so many coaches that have came off the William Blount coaching staff over the years but who knows. William Blount is by far the worst 6 A team overall since the TSSAA brought on 6A and you can actually go in and check on that one. All of that happened after Meadows left and it's been one bad chapter after the next down there and don't look no better this year. Shad was about to break the all time losing record last year and got out claiming bad health reasons. He got healthy real quick when ask to take the controls at Eagleton last year and even got more healthy to go coach at Catholic. From the people I know out there most like these coaches really well so I do hope them lots of luck. I did drive by yesterday hoping everything was ready but they're just starting to put the aluminum stands together and the scoreboard frame was the only thing standing. I looked at that and the first thing I thought of, it woundn't be Blount County if every person at the first game was standing up and asking how much time do they think is left in the quarter or what's the score while everyone is scratching to death being eaten alive from mosquitoes from the one acre retention pond right beside the football field that looks like the Florida Everglades.

Going to be interesting to say the least. In a honey hole with money. The potential is there for sure.

On 7/15/2023 at 6:42 AM, BarneySox2007 said:

He stayed Pujo.I drove by there yesterday morning and they were on the pratice field. I noticed the bleachers were just now starting to be installed and the scoreboard has yet to be installed, only the steel frame which stood very tall out of the ground. The press box is three stories tall. 

Wow, three story press box is impressive for high school. Sounds like Carrollton, Ga. They have a college style stadium along the line of Texas high school programs with a huge press box accessible only by elevator with a lady standing guard by it to make sure only authorized personnel gets in.

10 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I can’t understand what happened with Shad. In 1995 in his second season at Smyrna, we (Cleveland) had to go over there in the semifinals. They were very well prepared and outplayed us and frankly should have won. They would have won the state championship as they would’ve easily beat Haywood Co. the next week. That actually should have been Beech, as Haywood won in OT in the semifinals, but based on film Beech was the better team. Of course you know the rest, Smyrna moved up to 5A and eventually won back to back titles. He also had success at Blackman. Don’t know what went wrong at Billy Blount, as retired Chattanooga sportscaster Darrell Patterson used to call them.

1 hour ago, chs1984 said:

I can’t understand what happened with Shad. In 1995 in his second season at Smyrna, we (Cleveland) had to go over there in the semifinals. They were very well prepared and outplayed us and frankly should have won. They would have won the state championship as they would’ve easily beat Haywood Co. the next week. That actually should have been Beech, as Haywood won in OT in the semifinals, but based on film Beech was the better team. Of course you know the rest, Smyrna moved up to 5A and eventually won back to back titles. He also had success at Blackman. Don’t know what went wrong at Billy Blount, as retired Chattanooga sportscaster Darrell Patterson used to call them.

The feeder system into William Blount has a major bearing why that program has so much trouble no matter if who the coach is. The same goes with Heritage also.Remember WB schools half the county but didn't have a midget team feeding it until this year after a layoff then those kids go to two middle school and combine those into one because not much of a turnout to run indiviual teams. Everyone of their fans want to win but nobody wants to roll up their sleeves and take the bull by the horns and get smaller league teams started. It's much easier to set at home and say it's Maryville's fault. Those kids from the county end up having to play for some of the city teams like Maryville and Alcoa and want to stay with their new friends and play football together throughout high school.  Fairview was a very strong midget program and Shad insisted they change the name to WB and the whole thing disbanded. Shad tried to take control of the whole WB system and that's when it really fell apart. The only thing WB had to it's name was the junior high coach who was pretty good and he left and went home and pretty sure over Shad wanting to run things. Well that middle school program now is in the same shape the high school is. If they lose to Union County this year someone needs to pick up the phone and call in the Red Cross to stop the bleeding. Shad isn't all to blame for this mess but the man wasn't prepared according to his lifestyle to deal with a crisis like this and only made it worse. He did a great job with the Eagleton program last year and surprised he jumped ship for Catholic. That is another mess there also because you have to many chiefs expecting to compete with 5 teams on their schedule that are not winable for anyone. Those five teams are on another scale that Catholic isn't nowhere near or ever will be.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

The feeder system into William Blount has a major bearing why that program has so much trouble no matter if who the coach is. The same goes with Heritage also.Remember WB schools half the county but didn't have a midget team feeding it until this year after a layoff then those kids go to two middle school and combine those into one because not much of a turnout to run indiviual teams. Everyone of their fans want to win but nobody wants to roll up their sleeves and take the bull by the horns and get smaller league teams started. It's much easier to set at home and say it's Maryville's fault. Those kids from the county end up having to play for some of the city teams like Maryville and Alcoa and want to stay with their new friends and play football together throughout high school.  Fairview was a very strong midget program and Shad insisted they change the name to WB and the whole thing disbanded. Shad tried to take control of the whole WB system and that's when it really fell apart. The only thing WB had to it's name was the junior high coach who was pretty good and he left and went home and pretty sure over Shad wanting to run things. Well that middle school program now is in the same shape the high school is. If they lose to Union County this year someone needs to pick up the phone and call in the Red Cross to stop the bleeding. Shad isn't all to blame for this mess but the man wasn't prepared according to his lifestyle to deal with a crisis like this and only made it worse. He did a great job with the Eagleton program last year and surprised he jumped ship for Catholic. That is another mess there also because you have to many chiefs expecting to compete with 5 teams on their schedule that are not winable for anyone. Those five teams are on another scale that Catholic isn't nowhere near or ever will be.

Shad is Exhibit A why you don't burn bridges on your way out the door. He basically exiled himself to East TN

• Like 1