Oak Ridge vs. Bearden

boyfromsi

2 hours ago, 2011Class said:

Anything I’m saying I would say to yours & anyone else's face me saying he’s the worst QB in the region wouldn’t start an altercation so don’t try to say “i won’t say it to someone’s face” as if someone would do something to me if I did….. this is just mine and the rankings opinion as of week 2 

What I’m saying is that face to face most of us choose our words more carefully and are a little bit kinder. It’s more difficult  to say mean things while standing  next to the person those words affect when you are able to see the effect it has on them. 
I don’t actually believe that calling a kid the worst QB in the state is the same as a website posting stats. When I see stats that show incompletions , sacks, interceptions (on any team this isn’t OR specific) sure I see that the pass game isn’t going well, but hey perhaps the O line isn’t doing so great, maybe the receivers share some blame but calling someone out as the worse QB in the state pins all the responsibility on him. It’s making it personally specific to him, and that’s the difference. He’s the QB1 presumably because the staff feels that he’s the best option the team has. I’d imagine if they had someone they thought was better, that guy would be out there. So when people get down on him, and talk him down, it just serves to shake his confidence and potentially make matters worse. I get the frustrations. My team had so many WTH moments last Friday. QB, d line, o line, special teams…pretty much everyone except our RB. It’s totally possible to criticize bad plays and bad decisions without tearing down a kid. 

Edited by Bluegreymom
Grammar is hard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bluegreymom said:

What I’m saying is that face to face most of us choose our words more carefully and are a little bit kinder. It’s more difficult  to say mean things while standing  next to the person those words affect when you are able to see the effect it has on them. 
I don’t actually believe that calling a kid the worst QB in the state is the same as a website posting stats. When I see stats that show incompletions , sacks, interceptions (on any team this isn’t OR specific) sure I see that the pass game isn’t going well, but hey perhaps the O line isn’t doing so great, maybe the receivers share some blame but calling someone out as the worse QB in the state pins all the responsibility on him. It’s making it personally specific to him, and that’s the difference. He’s the QB1 presumably because the staff feels that he’s the best option the team has. I’d imagine if they had someone they thought was better, that guy would be out there. So when people get down on him, and talk him down, it just serves to shake his confidence and potentially make matters worse. I get the frustrations. My team had so many WTH moments last Friday. QB, d line, o line, special teams…pretty much everyone except our RB. It’s totally possible to criticize bad plays and bad decisions without tearing down a kid. 

Well put, Mom!

• Thanks 1

The QB is a real good kid.  He is learning a new offensive system that last week saw his best receiver out, his second best receiver out part of the game and may be for a while. The last pass of the game was catchable by the receiver, who just didn't make the play. He had times when it was a passing situation that I thought he held the ball too long and got sacked so he does need to throw it away when he can to avoid sacks, but part of that goes on the offensive line too, he got flushed from the pocket several times due to up the field defensive pressure, He also completed several passes under pressure on that last drive and took OR down the field from poor field position in the last 1:09 to give us a chance to make a play to win the game with 0:06 seconds left. On that last play he was flushed and rolled out buying time to either make a throw or run and the pass fell incomplete in the end zone. The real problem for Oak Ridge going forward is injuries, which continue to plague them, hopefully they will get guys healthy for region games and a good playoff run,

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

The QB is a real good kid.  He is learning a new offensive system that last week saw his best receiver out, his second best receiver out part of the game and may be for a while. The last pass of the game was catchable by the receiver, who just didn't make the play. He had times when it was a passing situation that I thought he held the ball too long and got sacked so he does need to throw it away when he can to avoid sacks, but part of that goes on the offensive line too, he got flushed from the pocket several times due to up the field defensive pressure, He also completed several passes under pressure on that last drive and took OR down the field from poor field position in the last 1:09 to give us a chance to make a play to win the game with 0:06 seconds left. On that last play he was flushed and rolled out buying time to either make a throw or run and the pass fell incomplete in the end zone. The real problem for Oak Ridge going forward is injuries, which continue to plague them, hopefully they will get guys healthy for region games and a good playoff run,

Strong down the middle of the road analysis. It’s never that simple when 22 young people are on the field. Great perspective CactusJack!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, 2011Class said:

Oh stop for the ridge, we all OR family just a disagreement right now I like sharpe he was nice as a SS just at the QB position he not performing how some feel he should with the athletes around him i know #1 & #13 were out and if they play they for sure win but without them it made it a more even game where it came down to QB play sharpe had a nice last drive but i feel it shouldn’t have came down to that because they were in the red zone multiple times and came away with nothing…. I apologize for saying the worst if everyone believes he’s doing fine I’m riding with y’all and that’s it 

The kid isn’t perfect. But what you said was wrong many times. Last week he was in the top five of tds thrown in the state for qbs from five star preps article and he played a quarter and a half. Think about that. He didn’t even get through the second quarter before being pulled. Last Friday night, 13 was out, and no matter what anyone says, he takes defenders that opens up lanes. He hasn’t ever seen a kid like 52 and we played without two other offensive line starters. Give him time.  The other thing you said doesn’t just lie on qb, the offensive line missed some blocking assignments , the snaps that were on the ground that he grabbed off the turf a few times, all added seconds for him to make decisions. There was a fumble by a great rb and yet everyone still knows he is a great rb. All of that added up to defeat Friday.   The other part that most probably don’t know is he started before as a freshman on varsity and from what I hear took the team to the playoffs for the first time in a while. I’ll have to fact check that, but he has starting experience that none of the other guys do. Although last year hurt him the most with only one qb getting reps. He has zero turnovers in two games.  Be patient and see what happens. He was one of the hardest kids working in the off-season they had. Look at comments from coach and articles about it. 

Edited by Rwrbigcat

On 8/23/2022 at 6:06 PM, catswild said:

Let me break it down for you...OR has the best running back in the region (Dozier)...OR has the best wide receiver in the region (Heyward)...OR has the best defensive back in the region (Rogers)...OR has the best linebacker in the region (Kelly)...OR has the best kicker in the region (Pearson)...OR has the best punter in the region (Pearson)...OR has the second best running back in the region (Hundley)...OR has the second best wide receiver in the region (Rogers)...OR has the second best defensive back in the region (Heyward)...and I'll bet you you that Farragut, Greenville, DB, don't have anyone better at those positions than the OR players I have listed, but I can't ber sure. Plus, I haven't mentioned Cummings, Williams, and Rembert.  This is the most talented group since 2005...I don't think we'll lose in the regular season, but if we do, it will be because of a very dominant defensive line that we just can't handle or a lack of discipline. I'm not smoking anything...I believe what I'm saying.

This didn't age well......

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 12:20 PM, Heisenberg said:

I will be happy to compare it.  According to the TSSAA championships website, here are the title game appearances and championships won: 

• Oak Ridge:  9 title games with 7 championships 
  • Maryville: 24 title games with 17 championships (since 1970)
  • Alcoa: 22 title games with 20 championships (since 1970)

Oak Ridge did have 3 of those championships from 1956-1962, so they were the better program for 6 years and maybe 14 if you go until 1970.   But since 1970, the last 50 years, the totals are 4 championships for ORHS (last one in 1991) and then the 17 and 20 championships for Maryville. 

Nobody can fairly or accurately compare fan tradition without bias, but in the last 50 years Oak Ridge is definitely 3rd place in making it to the championship game or winning it.  That is the only tangible stat we have to compare.  Blankenship is a neat venue though.  

That is the history I was able to find, but I guess your definition of recent memories goes back before 1970...

Its a feel I guess if you were on the sidelines you would know. 

• Like 1