Who is your top 10 5A football teams in the state?

GaddyDaddy

1 hour ago, GaddyDaddy said:

So two years ago you believed that team would make it all the way to the state championship? 

No I didn't, but they backed into that state championship game and got demolished in Cookeville.  Powell blew that regular season game against us by missing a game tying extra point.  Our defense was absolutely out of gas and wanted no part of overtime. Powell ran a 90 yard drive on the ground with no passes down our throat and choked the extra point with 21 seconds to go.  That win they choked on gave us home field in the playoffs. Then, in the quarter finals game at West, West got jobbed on their home field when they recovered a game clinching fumble in the 4th and the refs gave it back to OR.  Then, there were two drive extending pass interference calls against West on our go ahead drive that gave us 2 bs free first downs to keep the winning drive alive.  Then in the semis we beat an average SD team at home 14-7 that was only there because the rest of their region was garbage that year.  So, no.  I gave that team no shot at state and when they got down their they laid and egg and it was embarrassing.  So NO.  

If you honestly believe that this 2-2 team has a chance at state, then I'm afraid you are not real sure what you're looking at on Friday nights.  West would running clock this OR team with our line play and struggles at qb.  

'

Edited by oridgecat

45 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

Then, in the quarter finals game at West, West got jobbed on their home field when they recovered a game clinching fumble in the 4th and the refs gave it back to OR.  Then, there were two drive extending pass interference calls against West on our go ahead drive that gave us 2 bs free first downs to keep the winning drive alive.  '

What he said right there.  If you thought that late hit call at Alcoa was bad - go back and watch that game.  I still have no clue how they gave Oak Ridge that ball back under any interpretation of any known rule of football.  That group of Rebels got robbed.  

Just a heads-up for you folks in Middle and East Tennessee. The AP has Munford at #4 in the state, and In my opinion, they deserve to be where they are. Not sure they can challenge for a Gold Ball, but their talent is several steps higher this season than it has been in the past. The Memphis paper has them ranked #1 in their local power rankings, regardless of classification.

My Covington team is always competitive in 3A, but Munford opened the season by taking us to the woodshed 28-7. Their offense features a dynamic QB (Bell), a game-breaking running back (Sharp), and a transfer speed burning wideout (Cobb) who transferred in from Memphis. 

While their offense is doing great stuff, I was most impressed that their defense held Covington to only 7 points and contained 2021 3A All State running back Jamarion Dowell pretty well. 

I hate to lose to a local rival like Munford, but I have to grudgingly admit that they are pretty good.

5 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Just a heads-up for you folks in Middle and East Tennessee. The AP has Munford at #4 in the state, and In my opinion, they deserve to be where they are. Not sure they can challenge for a Gold Ball, but their talent is several steps higher this season than it has been in the past. The Memphis paper has them ranked #1 in their local power rankings, regardless of classification.

My Covington team is always competitive in 3A, but Munford opened the season by taking us to the woodshed 28-7. Their offense features a dynamic QB (Bell), a game-breaking running back (Sharp), and a transfer speed burning wideout (Cobb) who transferred in from Memphis. 

While their offense is doing great stuff, I was most impressed that their defense held Covington to only 7 points and contained 2021 3A All State running back Jamarion Dowell pretty well. 

I hate to lose to a local rival like Munford, but I have to grudgingly admit that they are pretty good.

I’m still not sleeping on Munford, as much as everyone wants to count them out.