Gordonsville at South Pitt

croz6110

16 minutes ago, croz6110 said:

Pirates played admirably. It should be obvious to most that they were outmanned, but they never quit.

I felt both teams made some good personnel adjustments going into this game that helped each team. 

The Pirates sold out to stop the run after the first couple possessions, and I feel like the pass plays we hit at the end of the game were there most of the night, but we chose to grind it out.

I don't think the game was as close as the score indicates, however, the effort from the Pirates helped that. 

Both teams missed chances. SP had a few drops, and Gville dropped a pick 6 and another interception. 

As far as the refs, they let the boys play, maybe a little too much. I think there were only two holding penalties called all night, a defensive holding against SP that was declined and an offensive holding on Gville that negated a 50 yard run. There were probably only about 5 flags the whole game, and there were some that should've been called and we're obvious, but weren't. For example SP should've been called for a delay of game on one of their pints as the clock was on 0, but it wasn't.

As far as our boys, they played hard and physical, and that's what I wanted to see, and we had several underclassmen making plays, so we may have some good matchups down the road. The opening kickoff was returned by a freshman, and another freshman started on the line, several sophomores and juniors played.

It was a long post, but the Pirates can be proud of their effort, and the Tigers can be proud they advanced to avenge an earlier loss.

GREAT POST. . I feel like i was at the Game. Awesome breakdown of how the game played out. I honestly thought S Pitt would pull this off. Maybe I’m hung up on their history or the 31-0 game at Gordonsville last year clouded my perception. My buddy South Towner warned me about a S Pitt loss and I totally dismissed it. Obviously he KNOWS a hellave lot more about HS football than i do. . 

Well I was off on two fronts. Had you told me that SP holds GVille to a TD Defensively I would have told you to go ahead a book the reservations for the title game and on the flip side I would have lost it all if you told me GVille would hold SP to only a 1 TD offensively, never saw that one coming from all I had heard, been told and seen! As it turned out SP had the least amount of penalties that they have had all year and their Defense played the best it had all year for 3 and a half quarters, the problem is you play 4 quarters! Oh yea to add insult to injury I was told told that they believed that kickoff return TD was believed to have been the only special teams TD of the year unless they gave up one against CCS. It’s always nice when things go your way and pretty painful when they don’t! Congrats to the GVille boys on one heck of a hard fought win cause they worked hard for that one. The way these young Pirates fought and clawed their way back into the game when down 14 to 0 is pretty telling as to the character of this young bunch and the staff that Coach Stone has assembled to coach these boys. The future looks very bright for the Pirates. Gordonsville loosing 20 something Seniors has to be a difficult rebuild for next year, better do what you can this year. 

The Gordy offense wasn’t anything amazing this year, while i’m shocked we only held them to 7 points on defense I figure they would score 2 or 3 times. Offensively there was a couple of questionable play calls and then we we had the right play it seemed either we were late to throw the ball or the balls were a little behind or they were dropped how ever you want to look at it. CROZ probably said it best this game wasn’t as close as the score indicated, we were dominated up front all night and the the only time we didn’t have pressure in our face is when Gordy dropped about the whole team into a pass coverage lol. This offseason this game should be the only motivation you need moving into next year. Hats off to Gordy, last night they were the better team for 48 min as the score indicated. 

Congrats to Gordy, excellent schemed defense to counter our offensive air assault. Must have watched how GA shut down my Vols. 

Very proud of the grit our young Pirates showed tonight. After getting shell shocked early on, they gathered their composure and fought to the very end. 

As us real Pirate fans stated all week, this was the year for Gordy to get the win. We knew we were outmatched  physically. Next year could be similar to this year, just depends on how hard our boys hit the weight room and push themselves. We need some beef upfront to take that next step. If any of the rumors I’m hearing come true, watch out. My personal opinion is we are still another year away from something special. 

37 minutes ago, piratetom said:

Congrats to Gordy, excellent schemed defense to counter our offensive air assault. Must have watched how GA shut down my Vols. 

Very proud of the grit our young Pirates showed tonight. After getting shell shocked early on, they gathered their composure and fought to the very end. 

As us real Pirate fans stated all week, this was the year for Gordy to get the win. We knew we were outmatched  physically. Next year could be similar to this year, just depends on how hard our boys hit the weight room and push themselves. We need some beef upfront to take that next step. If any of the rumors I’m hearing come true, watch out. My personal opinion is we are still another year away from something special. 

Hate to see it end buddy

46 minutes ago, piratetom said:

I agree. For having a chance to win it all, I think SP is 2 years from that. The biggest glaring concern is still up front. Correct me if I’m wrong but I think we lose a lot of the linemen that started this year…and they played tough but were average 1A ball players at best. The ones replacing…a lot can happen between now and August though.

Great fight and effort by the Pirates last night. You boys were outmanned in a lot of spots but found a way to stay in the game. The size advantage Gordonsville had was pretty defining to me. My hats off to you for the fight and grit you showed. The SP team obviously lost a bunch of good players from last years team. I’m not sure what happened at the end on the interception but the QB and WR weren’t on the same page. I would have liked to seen us score there to setup a chance to tie or win much like 10 years ago in this game. Good luck to Gordonsville the rest of the way. I believe you boys have an excellent shot at getting the silver ball this year.  Sorry but the west is just too strong. Regardless it was a good ball game to watch last night. 

1 hour ago, powerp said:

I agree. For having a chance to win it all, I think SP is 2 years from that. The biggest glaring concern is still up front. Correct me if I’m wrong but I think we lose a lot of the linemen that started this year…and they played tough but were average 1A ball players at best. The ones replacing…a lot can happen between now and August though.

We need some of our boys to start eating biscuits and gravy for breakfast.

21 minutes ago, Pirate2003 said:

Ain’t that the truth. We were dwarfed in size at almost every position on the field on both sides of the ball. 

I don't think I have seen a Pirate team so undersized on the line since 1989 when The Worm was playing center at about 139 pounds out of the old side-saddle single wing.   They lost in the second round that year to Oneida 22 - 16.

31 minutes ago, rlh said:

I don't think I have seen a Pirate team so undersized on the line since 1989 when The Worm was playing center at about 139 pounds out of the old side-saddle single wing.   They lost in the second round that year to Oneida 22 - 16.

I noticed they were much larger at receiver and running back as well.