Scott Cummings has resigned at Oak Ridge

HTV

2 minutes ago, WillieTheWildcats said:

It's been over 23 years since I last filled out a Hamilton County Teacher Job Application but I think they asked if you had ever been arrested and if yes explain. After I was hired they then did a Backgrond Check using fingerprints. No drug test was required. After I retired from teaching for health reasons ( two heart attacks ), I got bored and was hired as a Substitute teacher. No background or drug test was needed. When I decided to go to work at Wal-Mart they did a drug test but not a background check. 

It’s crazy how many inconsistencies are involved with the various school districts.  Even with the residential rental properties that I own I require both a financial and criminal background check from all individuals living the properties.  

2 hours ago, cbg said:

What are the rules with regards to hiring a chemistry, biology, English, etc… teacher in most school districts that have had multiple DUI arrest?  Again, is the man clean and if so how long has he been sober. 

No clue on the rules but I would say they would ask if you have ever been arrested and what for along with a back ground check. (Having a drug charge against you in the last two years isn’t going to look good on anyones record especially around kids) The longest he could be Sober would be a year and almost 8 months since the arrest happens April 2021

2 hours ago, ForTheRidge said:

It's very strange he had no issues at West or Halls or any that required being let go. Oak Ridge should of picked up the phone and ask Cleveland would you hire this guy back and if the answer was "ale no " then they needed to keep on trucking. Instead they were probably foaming at the mouth knowing how well he changed a culture at one of the worst programs in the state "West High" and was able to take it to the top. Just the same way Maryville did when they went after Emory Hale. They didn't make that call to Austin Peay only to find out Emory discussed openly at lunch with the other teachers of having encounters with UFO's and that was all she wrote.

29 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

It's very strange he had no issues at West or Halls or any that required being let go. Oak Ridge should of picked up the phone and ask Cleveland would you hire this guy back and if the answer was "ale no " then they needed to keep on trucking. Instead they were probably foaming at the mouth knowing how well he changed a culture at one of the worst programs in the state "West High" and was able to take it to the top. Just the same way Maryville did when they went after Emory Hale. They didn't make that call to Austin Peay only to find out Emory discussed openly at lunch with the other teachers of having encounters with UFO's and that was all she wrote.

Emory was a lot like recently passed Coach Mike Leach at Miss State, he was all over the place sometimes, but he was a very good motivator and had good football knowledge. He came to the Oak Ridge vs Powell game in 2020 and came over to me at halftime and said hello, and I was surprised he remembered me at all, I was kind of after his time at Oak Ridge, and I remember he told me that "OR is going to have to hold on in the second half" and we had to as Powell mounted a furious comeback in the 4th quarter and only a missed extra point by the Panthers allowed OR to get out with a 28-27 win.

3 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

Emory was a lot like recently passed Coach Mike Leach at Miss State, he was all over the place sometimes, but he was a very good motivator and had good football knowledge. He came to the Oak Ridge vs Powell game in 2020 and came over to me at halftime and said hello, and I was surprised he remembered me at all, I was kind of after his time at Oak Ridge, and I remember he told me that "OR is going to have to hold on in the second half" and we had to as Powell mounted a furious comeback in the 4th quarter and only a missed extra point by the Panthers allowed OR to get out with a 28-27 win.

Exactly , me and Stars got to know him very personally and I can see that coming out of his mouth.

6 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

At the end of the day, he’s a great guy, and a man of God. A flawed man of God like us all, but a man of God nonetheless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swipes said:

No clue on the rules but I would say they would ask if you have ever been arrested and what for along with a back ground check. (Having a drug charge against you in the last two years isn’t going to look good on anyones record especially around kids) The longest he could be Sober would be a year and almost 8 months since the arrest happens April 2021

I actually reached out to young lady that I know in Phoenix, AZ that is a professional counselor at a drug and alcohol rehab facility.  She told me that her advice would be to get a letter of recommendation from his counselor and physician stating that the patient has been clean and sober for X number of days and that their recommendation is that the patient is ready to be back in the classroom.  When dealing with employment issues it’s a really slippery slope and you must be careful.  

Two seasons ago a coach assaulted another coach and was fired only to be rehired after the season.  A group of freshman football players filmed another player nude and passed it around various social medias….nothing happened to those players whatsoever by admin or the HC at the time…but their position coach called them out on it and gave them a stern talking to.  Parents didn’t like that their little babies got yelled at for a pretty awful thing they did to a teammate.  Those parents turned that into a “cussing” tirade and that coach was fired…or sorry…”resigned”. It’s a society problem that the school and district are afraid to address.

2 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

He wasn't fired at West, but they allowed him to step down. I know someone that worked with him at West. There was something he got in trouble for, but it didn't involve any students or players. 

6 hours ago, ForTheRidge said:

I have read most of the posts on here about why Coach Cummings resigned. Fussy parents about coaches language and tone of that language towards players seem to be mentioned most. I don't have any idea if that was the cause. I have a different idea but if it is not correct or even close l beg forgiveness from the Coach T thought and idea police. I hope my punishment is not to harsh. This time of year seems to be a time for coaching moves of HCs, but also assistant coaches. Could have Coach Cummings gone to the administration and asked to bring in some new position coaches. I have read that the strength and skill of the O-Line was not up to par at OR for some time. Maybe Coach Cummings wanted to bring in a new strength coach, O-Line coach or other assistant coach and was told no so Coach Cummings resigned and commented the direction of the program was wrong for him. Also the privacy part might be he didn't want to mention the coach/coaches he wanted to hire as to not jeopardize the current jobs. Just a theory. But some people have commented that yelling and bad language were not the true reason he was fired.

• CoachT locked this topic