Scott Cummings has resigned at Oak Ridge

HTV

4 minutes ago, chsbobcat09 said:

I’ll throw a name out there, given recent history it most likely wouldn’t work but it’s something to think about: Steve Matthews, fmr Catholic HC…..

Hey, it might work. Coach Gaddis coached Matthews at Tullahoma. 

Who knows who will make the selection? Just Gaddis, a selection comittee, Magic Eight Ball, Principal, rock - sciizzor - paper, WillieTheWildcat or some other method.

I will neither seek nor accept the job of selecting the new coach. That honor should go to Sweet Science after downing a cold 12 pack.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, fooseball95 said:

Steve Matthews just interviewed at cleveland last week. Probably won’t get the job because of his baggage, but a heckuva coach. Wouldn’t mind having him

As an outsider I have heard a few things about Steve Mathew’s but I certainly don’t know the whole story.  Is the baggage so egregious that a school would not hire the man if he does not have a criminal record?  I have always felt that everyone deserves a second chance and maybe even a third chance when appropriate.  If the problems are with drugs, abusing alcohol or a DUI then while I understand the concern I also feel that someone deserves the opportunity to get clean and prove they have their life under control.  Unfortunately we hear of these issues everyday in society.  It may be someone with the fire department, the pastor at the church down the street, a Fortune 500 CEO, the local NFL head coach or even the local high school football coach.  The question should be if they are clean and if so how long has the individual been living a sober life.

Edited by cbg

8 minutes ago, cbg said:

As an outsider I have heard a few things about Steve Mathew’s but I certainly don’t know the whole story.  Is the baggage so egregious that a school would not hire the man if he does not have a criminal record?  I have always felt that everyone deserves a second chance and maybe even a third chance when appropriate.  

I agree with second chances no doubt. I think it depends on the school system. Some may be more lenient than others? But I do know he’s been caught drinking and  driving and I believe they found pills also. It was on the news. I think more than once but I could be wrong

Edited by fooseball95

9 minutes ago, cbg said:

As an outsider I have heard a few things about Steve Mathew’s but I certainly don’t know the whole story.  Is the baggage so egregious that a school would not hire the man if he does not have a criminal record?  I have always felt that everyone deserves a second chance and maybe even a third chance when appropriate.  If the problems are with drugs, abusing alcohol or a DUI then while I understand the concern I also feel that someone deserves the opportunity to get clean and prove they have their life under control.  Unfortunately we hear of these issues everyday in society.  It may be someone with the fire department, the pastor at the church down the street, a Fortune 500 CEO, the local NFL head coach or even the local high school football coach.  The question should be if they are clean and if so how long has the individual been living a sober life.

Agreed

1 minute ago, fooseball95 said:

Agreed

I have always said that if you allow me to randomly drug/alcohol test all of the faculty members, administration or school board you would be shocked what results turn up!  When I told this to a local private school headmaster he got defensive and ask if thought that his teachers were using drugs; my response was that if 10% of society is abusing drugs then yes the chances are that not only 10% of his teachers but 10% of the Board of Trust were also using drugs and alcohol.  My next question was if you are going to be able to randomly test the students you should also randomly test the teachers and Board of Trust.  Needless to say the man didn’t want to discuss the topic any further.  

20 minutes ago, cbg said:

Whoever hires him would be giving him a third chance.  He had a DUI in 2011 in Rutherford County then Catholic gave him a 2nd chance.  He was arrested in 2021 for DUI and drug possession charges because he had pills on him that were not prescribed to him

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/high-school/2021/04/05/knoxville-tssaa-football-catholic-steve-matthews-tennessee-resign-2021/7069815002/

Edited by Swipes

• CoachT locked this topic