Predictions for who makes it to state D1 and D2 boys duals

Wrestlingfan22

5 minutes ago, WrestlingDad23 said:

I see alot of people talking about Cordero, and how the wrestle off was controversial? I would love to know what was so controversial about it?  Cleveland does two wrestle offs during the season so all the kids know it is coming. They brought in an outside refreeze to ref the match as well. Kids found out on Friday that it would be on Monday then it got moved to Tuesday. Dyer was a pound over going into Tuesday. I get it he was a Senior and was ranked number 1 but he lost twice in both wrestle offs. So i would love to know what was so controversial? That kid didn't make any excuses( just released from having a broken collarbone 13 days before the wrestle off, and he had the flue 6 days after that) when he lost the first time, he got to work and made it happen for himself. Nothing against the Dyers, but to say something is controversial when it wasn't is ludacris  to me 

Nothing controversial. You are listening to people who have no clue what goes inside our program.

Both families are AWESOME.

Both kids are AWESOME

Hopefully Cole can get him a State Title and finish his Senior year strong. 

20 minutes ago, JBoskenUSAW said:

Nothing controversial. You are listening to people who have no clue what goes inside our program.

Both families are AWESOME.

Both kids are AWESOME

Hopefully Cole can get him a State Title and finish his Senior year strong. 

Well, what happened that I heard came directly from someone in your program so good luck with that. They had no reason to lie to me about it all, the second person isn't directly from your program but he said the exact same thing on what happened. I've taken up for you all for a long time because you have been good for wrestling not just for Cleveland but for Chattanooga itself, lots of kids came from higher calling that never do wrestle for Cleveland.  If it had happened to my kid, me you and Joey and any other coach there would have had a conversation. Maybe I can ask the kid directly next time I see him, I was just surprised I saw him at the Region duals Tuesday night at Signal.

Made me think of something talking about wrestle offs.

I liked the way my son was forced to wrestle off in his freshman and I think sophomore year.  A few minutes before one of the last pre-season duals started they held wrestle offs.  Guaranteed the wrestle off was in full view of all the participating parents, couldn't be argued.  

32 minutes ago, WrestlingDad23 said:

I see alot of people talking about Cordero, and how the wrestle off was controversial? I would love to know what was so controversial about it?  Cleveland does two wrestle offs during the season so all the kids know it is coming. They brought in an outside refreeze to ref the match as well. Kids found out on Friday that it would be on Monday then it got moved to Tuesday. Dyer was a pound over going into Tuesday. I get it he was a Senior and was ranked number 1 but he lost twice in both wrestle offs. So i would love to know what was so controversial? That kid didn't make any excuses( just released from having a broken collarbone 13 days before the wrestle off, and he had the flue 6 days after that) when he lost the first time, he got to work and made it happen for himself. Nothing against the Dyers, but to say something is controversial when it wasn't is ludacris  to me 

wait what? You have me confused here, you put Dyer was a senior and ranked #1 but he lost BOTH wrestle offs? You go on to say that kid didn't make any excuses as he was coming back from a broken collarbone one time and the flu the next,  when he lost the first time.  So which is it, did Cordero win both times or go 1 and 1, or are you talking about they have 3 wrestle offs. One right before season starts and 2 during season and Cordero lost the first time but beat Dyer the other 2?    Also, just hypothetically, have you ever weighed in for a tournament or even a dual meet and not be allowed to rehydrate before the match takes place? I mean I don't think I ever had a time in wrestling that we didn't weigh in and have an hour or so before the matches started and were able to eat and drink a little to get the energy back. I mean maybe wrestling has changed since I wrestled and coached, what do I know

8 minutes ago, oceansize42 said:

Made me think of something talking about wrestle offs.

I liked the way my son was forced to wrestle off in his freshman and I think sophomore year.  A few minutes before one of the last pre-season duals started they held wrestle offs.  Guaranteed the wrestle off was in full view of all the participating parents, couldn't be argued.  

ours were always done on a night by itself, free entry for everyone including other students and we usually had some pretty good crowds for it also. Got some excitement for the program and put a little pressure on the boys to compete since there were actual spectators there. 

3 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

ours were always done on a night by itself, free entry for everyone including other students and we usually had some pretty good crowds for it also. Got some excitement for the program and put a little pressure on the boys to compete since there were actual spectators there. 

Yeah, that is a good way as well. I think wrestle offs just might be the most pressure some of these kids feel all year. Particularly if the two kids are peers with respect to talent and ability.  My son's freshman year I had no idea if he was going to win or lose because his opponent was a couple of years older and very much even with him. If one kid is a hammer and the other not then that is a different story.

15 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

I know Hendersonville does a "Black & Gold Match" that serves as an initial wrestle off that any spectators are welcome, and then 2 more later in the year, one at Thanksgiving when most kids drop because of the new weight allowance, and then the week before regions. Atleast that's how it was when i was there. Granted that was also 12 years ago so who knows. But i always liked the idea of a full "intersquad match" to open the year and serve as a wrestle off for all to see,

9 minutes ago, Bump11 said:

I know Hendersonville does a "Black & Gold Match" that serves as an initial wrestle off that any spectators are welcome, and then 2 more later in the year, one at Thanksgiving when most kids drop because of the new weight allowance, and then the week before regions. Atleast that's how it was when i was there. Granted that was also 12 years ago so who knows. But i always liked the idea of a full "intersquad match" to open the year and serve as a wrestle off for all to see,

yeah, we had wrestle offs during season and it was always open to parents, but also you only got to do a wrestle off if your results showed there should be one. That made it where if you were JV you wouldn't go to a tourney and F around and not do your best because your results wouldn't show you deserved a chance to challenge. I'm not sure how they do it now but it made you actually give your all at JV tournaments because if not you weren't putting the effort in to wrestle varsity for the team to begin with.  

Also for anybody out there I had a question as I know Hamblin had posted about weights earlier in this, but has Jojo weighed in at 106 for most of the year and just wrestled up at 113(he's only wrestled 106 at the big tournament they went to). 

Edited by cobrakid8

19 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

yeah, we had wrestle offs during season and it was always open to parents, but also you only got to do a wrestle off if your results showed there should be one. That made it where if you were JV you wouldn't go to a tourney and F around and not do your best because your results wouldn't show you deserved a chance to challenge. I'm not sure how they do it now but it made you actually give your all at JV tournaments because if not you weren't putting the effort in to wrestle varsity for the team to begin with.  

i think ours were just whoever wanted to challenge, so long as you were eligible for the weight you wanted to challenge for. however you did have to beat the "starter" twice to win the challenge. my senior year i was hurt the second half of the year and had to beat the backup twice to "reclaim" my spot a few days before regions.

1 hour ago, Bump11 said:

i think ours were just whoever wanted to challenge, so long as you were eligible for the weight you wanted to challenge for. however you did have to beat the "starter" twice to win the challenge. my senior year i was hurt the second half of the year and had to beat the backup twice to "reclaim" my spot a few days before regions.

I lost my first challenge match as a senior in front of the big crowd because I ended up having an asthma attack and didn't even know I had asthma. Was winning 6-1 or something and had an attack and got pinned. Went to Dr got medicine and inhalers, challenged a few weeks later and never lost to him again. That first tournament of the year sucked as i went up with the team as a backup in case someone didn't make weight. I didn't get to wrestle at that first tournament as everyone made weight, I challenged a few weeks later and never looked back.  

Edited by cobrakid8

32 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

I lost my first challenge match as a senior in front of the big crowd because I ended up having an asthma attack and didn't even know I had asthma. Was winning 6-1 or something and had an attack and got pinned. Went to Dr got medicine and inhalers, challenged a few weeks later and never lost to him again. That first tournament of the year sucked as i went up with the team as a backup in case someone didn't make weight. I didn't get to wrestle at that first tournament as everyone made weight, I challenged a few weeks later and never looked back.  

dang thats wild. my "injury" was a kid putting me in a front headlock that the ref didnt see, put me to sleep and then rolled my limp body over and pinned me. wasnt until he got up and i didnt, that they realized what had happened. when i came back and challenged, it was the week of regions, and the backup who was starting, was so mad that they let me come back that close to regions that he walked out on the team after i stuck him and then teched him in front of everyone lol. Oh well

Edited by Bump11