Title games on the move?

Bump11

3 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:
3 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

Live 10 minutes from Nissan Stadium, so won't complain if they do, but I don't think the TSSAA can offer enough guaranteed money to make it worth it from Nashville's POV. There a reason why Murfreesboro quit hosting the Bowl Cross Bowl, yet fights to keep  all the other championships currently there. Can't even fill up half of UTC or TTU, it would sound like a funeral service at Nissan with 20 percent or less of the stadium filled 

20%??? 20% of Nissan stadium is almost 14K.  Maybe the total for 3 games combined.

No different than TSU playing home games there instead of at the hole. Place is empty for their games and they certainly have not benefitted with getting players because they play there.

1 minute ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

20%??? 20% of Nissan stadium is almost 14K.  Maybe the total for 3 games combined.

No different than TSU playing home games there instead of at the hole. Place is empty for their games and they certainly have not benefitted with getting players because they play there.

Which Is why I said or less, hoping that maybe there would be a significant walk up crowd, especially if a high profile team or recruit is playing. I'm right there with you, just don't see the benefits for either side of it being in Nashville. If the TSSAA wants to improve attendance to where Nissan makes sense, they know what to do ( less classes)

50 minutes ago, GoPats2019 said:

I completely agree about the 1 day trip, but downtown Nashville would have more of multi-day draw than any of the other city. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a gamble. 

It's a totally different situation than college or pro sports fans and coming to high school championship events.  

College and pro fans come for the party, and they are of age to participate and go in to bars and entertainment establishments.  

High school kids aren't.  

I'm sure the Titans would love to host it, but would they be willing to fund it?  

Not so sure, and that's where the Nashville Sports Corporation, or whatever the official title pf that organization is, would have to be willing to go out on a limb.  That facility and event wouldn't be cheap to run in an NFL stadium.  

27 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Which Is why I said or less, hoping that maybe there would be a significant walk up crowd, especially if a high profile team or recruit is playing. I'm right there with you, just don't see the benefits for either side of it being in Nashville. If the TSSAA wants to improve attendance to where Nissan makes sense, they know what to do ( less classes)

The honest answer is neither of these things will happen. (less classes, Nissan hosting the games).

It will be back in Chattanooga for the next two years for sure.

4 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

Live 10 minutes from Nissan Stadium, so won't complain if they do, but I don't think the TSSAA can offer enough guaranteed money to make it worth it from Nashville's POV. There a reason why Murfreesboro quit hosting the Bowl Cross Bowl, yet fights to keep  all the other championships currently there. Can't even fill up half of UTC or TTU, it would sound like a funeral service at Nissan with 20 percent or less of the stadium filled 

Agree with this. Nissan Stadium might be a good location, but I just can't wrap my head around playing the state championships at a huge stadium where it would be really empty. 

Is the high cost of money why Murfreesboro doesn't try to get the football title games anymore? It's been years and I still hate not seeing those games being played there.

3 minutes ago, SurfingPatriot786 said:

Agree with this. Nissan Stadium might be a good location, but I just can't wrap my head around playing the state championships at a huge stadium where it would be really empty. 

Is the high cost of money why Murfreesboro doesn't try to get the football title games anymore? It's been years and I still hate not seeing those games being played there.

Look at it from this way...... Murfreesboro hosts volleyball, spring fling and basketball, all of which are going to bring in teams, fans, parents, etc from out of town for multiple days spending money at hotels, restaurants, stores, etc. With football, your not really getting any of that, you might have fans spend some money for a meal but that's pretty much it. 

Murfreesboro is the perfect location, but the economics of it just don't make sense for them. It worked for Cookeville bc they're not gonna get many tourist/business dollars

• Upvote 1

Ok, Lets clear the air.

1.  The Blue Cross bowl will NEVER be at MTSU as long as McPhee and Masarro are there.  The Melrose golden football cleats painted gold in the end zone put that to bed.

2.  The fact that the title games are in an NFL stadium is not an issue in Atlanta, New Orleans, Charlotte, Indy, Detroit and Dallas.  

3.  The Titans, not METRO, would be the ones putting up the guarantee to the TSSAA.  Trust me, they can more than easily outbid Chattanooga.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, fredjones said:

Ok, Lets clear the air.

1.  The Blue Cross bowl will NEVER be at MTSU as long as McPhee and Masarro are there.  The Melrose golden football cleats painted gold in the end zone put that to bed.

2.  The fact that the title games are in an NFL stadium is not an issue in Atlanta, New Orleans, Charlotte, Indy, Detroit and Dallas.  

3.  The Titans, not METRO, would be the ones putting up the guarantee to the TSSAA.  Trust me, they can more than easily outbid Chattanooga.  

I think you're right. If (big if at that) the Titans want the title games there, all the banter about attendance, fees, and filling the stadium doesn't amount to much to them. If they want to strengthen the ties between the team and in state high school sports, it will be done and cost won't matter.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

I think you're right. If (big if at that) the Titans want the title games there, all the banter about attendance, fees, and filling the stadium doesn't amount to much to them. If they want to strengthen the ties between the team and in state high school sports, it will be done and cost won't 

But is Tennessee high school football really important to the Titans?  

In the big picture,  not really. 

This board is hilarious. Of Tennessee’s bordering states, Only North Carolina plays their state championships in a comparable stadium to Tennessee. Alabama, MS, Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Virginia, and Georgia all blow it out of the water and guess what, they’re all relatively empty. If it’s about the kids (it isn’t and never will be), playing in a NFL stadium will add even more to the experience and they won’t give a darn if there’s 25000 people or 25 people there 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, HTV said:

But is Tennessee high school football really important to the Titans?  

In the big picture,  not really. 

The NFL has programs set aside for high schools.  It helps with continued growth of the product.  Not saying I am for or against it either way.  Just that it is there.  

On 2/10/2023 at 4:30 PM, SurfingPatriot786 said:

Murfreesboro essentially ran them out of town. They were tired of losing money on them. We here in Georgia just went through this battle (again.) When the Falcons moved to the new stadium they basically raised the price to the point that the GHSA couldn’t justify paying it. They moved down the road to the Georgia St. stadium (the former Turner Field) and watched as attendance plummeted each year. A couple of weeks ago they bit the bullet and signed the contracts to return to the Falcons stadium. I’ve always had a novel idea that actually had a little momentum in Georgia about 10 years ago. Instead of paying a small fortune to play in a 2/3 empty stadium, they identified 32 high school stadiums in Georgia deemed worthy of hosting a title game. When the teams in each class are determined, you pick the most centrally located town between the two cities and play there. With GPS technology a computer could likely select the cities. Until about 20 years ago state finals were still played on campus in Georgia. But, no team deserves to have to be a visiting team in a state final. I remember one coach who’s visiting team lost such a game saying “If we would have won, I can guarantee you that we would have had to fight our way out of that place.”