Way Too Early 23-24 AA top preseason teams

HawkGuy06

20 hours ago, Dadof2 said:

Been there several times over the years, won some and lost some but definitely a hard plaice to get a win. I haven’t seen GP this year but they have to be really good to get a win there. Central has two weakness that I’ve seen, first is size but they rebound well as a team and they put so much pressure on the ball it’s hard to take advantage if you can’t get it down the court. Second is depth, they have 6 players and then it’s a big drop off, foul trouble could cost them, especially if it’s one of their two scorers, and I can see that happening because both are really aggressive on defense.  

Not many AA teams have the size that AAAA defending state champion Bradley Central does, yet Central took them to overtime this year. Central's depth hasn't been much of a problem this year. The girls are in better shape through conditioning than any team in AA. There have been very few times a contributing starter has fouled out. The AA champions this year will either be Central or Gatlinburg, no question about it. If Morgan can't win it this year he'll never win it again. 

17 hours ago, LadyCavsFan said:

Good description of Central.  I think you were spot on but Masengale is a matchup nightmare.   If you put a big on her she will blow by them and smaller guards can't defend her in the paint because she jumps over them.  She also defends the post very well because of her hops.   She definitely can't get in foul trouble.  Their scrappy guards put a ton of pressure on the perimeter and they shoot extremely well.    But my favorite thing about Central is that their half court offense is a thing of beauty with ball screens, face cuts, and back doors.   They run it so well and it’s so tough to defend.  But as you said they are not deep with some freshmen playing key roles.  But most A and AA teams have that problem.   

Both Masengale and Bystry are matchup nightmares for any team. And Mayfield can also contribute big time if one of other two are double or triple teamed. There is just too much talent for most AA teams to defend.  Their defensive pressure and press is hard for other teams to handle. It will come down to Central or Gatlinburg as to who wins gold. I hope they don't play each other in the first two rounds of state because they're easily the best two teams in AA. 

6 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Not many AA teams have the size that AAAA defending state champion Bradley Central does, yet Central took them to overtime this year. Central's depth hasn't been much of a problem this year. The girls are in better shape through conditioning than any team in AA. There have been very few times a contributing starter has fouled out. The AA champions this year will either be Central or Gatlinburg, no question about it. If Morgan can't win it this year he'll never win it again. 

Agreed, this is the best Central team that I believe I have seen, someone will have to have good guard play to beat them.

6 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Both Masengale and Bystry are matchup nightmares for any team. And Mayfield can also contribute big time if one of other two are double or triple teamed. There is just too much talent for most AA teams to defend.  Their defensive pressure and press is hard for other teams to handle. It will come down to Central or Gatlinburg as to who wins gold. I hope they don't play each other in the first two rounds of state because they're easily the best two teams in AA. 

I agree with almost everything you’ve saying except. Mayfield is monster on defense but she is nowhere near the other two on offense, she will give you a few points especially against good competition, I’ve seen her play since the 5th grade and I love watching her play.

22 hours ago, wtnbballfan said:

I was hoping JCM was good enough to advance and mix it up a bit. I've been seeing all the social media posts of Trenton players bashing some of the GC players and its tasteless and annoying at this point. New competition brings mystery lol

Peabody is a good team. JCM looking at schedule they have played as well as Peabody looks like Peabody definitely has the advantage. But I will say this time of year can be crazy and JCM is playing pretty good ball in their District for sure. We will see in a little while what happens. 

On 2/23/2024 at 5:51 PM, wtnbballfan said:

I believe last year at state wasn't Massengale kept at bay by GC? Maybe to like 10 or 12? I may be wrong but i agree...GC def going to be in the mix this year

Gibson County will no doubt be in the mix, as will all the AA teams going to state this year. 

To answer your question, yes GC did hold Molly below her season scoring average, but Bystry made GC pay for double-teaming Molly. And it was Molly's outstanding defense that turned the game around for Central when the game was on the line in the 4th quarter.  Her's a link to the article of the game. McMinn Central girls charge into Class 2A title game | Chattanooga Times Free Press 

On 2/23/2024 at 4:51 PM, wtnbballfan said:

I believe last year at state wasn't Massengale kept at bay by GC? Maybe to like 10 or 12? I may be wrong but i agree...GC def going to be in the mix this year

33 minutes ago, blitzinbuc said:

Gibson County will no doubt be in the mix, as will all the AA teams going to state this year. 

To answer your question, yes GC did hold Molly below her season scoring average, but Bystry made GC pay for double-teaming Molly. And it was Molly's outstanding defense that turned the game around for Central when the game was on the line in the 4th quarter.  Her's a link to the article of the game. McMinn Central girls charge into Class 2A title game | Chattanooga Times Free Press 

Maya Turner guarded her and did an outstanding job on Massengale. Massengale is an outstanding player. And yes Bystry hit big time money shots. Massengale I agree got some big steals late to carry McMinn. We were up 5 with the ball with about 4:30 minutes left so we had our chances. Bystry was hitting 3's from downtown. I will give McMinn Central and Johnny credit. Always in the mix and very well coached. Always a very tough out and this year will be even tougher. 

Wasn't trying to take anything away from mcminn. Thanks for clarifying all. I knew GC guarded well but I've slept since then so couldn't remember all the exacts. I remember there being an ugly foul at the end on gc.  Would be great if we could see these two teams in the ship this year and not too early on. 

19 hours ago, blitzinbuc said:

And then they lost to Westview by 19 in the championship game after struggling against the zone while holding Masingale to only 8 points. Any team can be beaten on any given night at this point in the season. It just takes one team getting hot shooting or a team struggling to get shots against another team's defense

On 2/23/2024 at 11:39 AM, roundhouse said:

You’re wrong about this. I get being an an East Tennessee Homer, but York Institute lost by two to Gatlinburg Pitman in overtime. York does not have a senior on the team. They have a major D1 player that’s going to Clemson so takeoff your rose colored glasses. GC is also loaded and will be one of the favorites to win it all.