FORREST 2023

9 minutes ago, GeneralForrest said:

Where've you been for 6 years. He could've used an advocate. Any advocate. But nope. Nowhere to be found. Til today. 

I’ve just been busy reading the comics I mean comments and what did I say exactly that would lead you to believe that I’m an advocate? He failed at his job the last 2-3 years and it’s over. I doubt anyone you get stays long as you surely can see from the past that no one stays. This job seems to be a stepping stone for coaches, even alumni don’t stay. Hopefully a young coach gets an opportunity and builds a culture if the homers will let him coach. Everyone wants tough love until they get tough love. 

4 hours ago, GeneralForrest said:

there are people on his staff that i think could still add a ton of value. Johnson and Russell are tremendous and the kids adore them from what i am told.

if a new guy comes from outside he will likely want to choose his own staff. but J & R have earned respect. 

idk if this will even happen. there's tons of gossip today. but if it does, i will post the ideal candidate resume. other people can post actual names. i wont be doing that 

Good points all General (that do apply), but I was mostly wondering if the domino effect would begin... Forrest hires from someone, then they have the position open ect...

Most of the time in 1A/2A, the best you can do is allow your target coach to bring one assistant, and utilize the current staff to his liking. It's at least a decent bet that a good hire creates another opening someplace not too far away.

Good luck in getting someone to reenergize the program.

1 hour ago, workinprogress said:

Was the current coach already on staff when he was hired? I honestly can't remember. If so, it's been a little while since they hired an outsider. 

He was on the previous staff for a couple of seasons. Previous coach quit in May 2018 and the principal promoted Stephenson, the DC, to head coach without any sort of coaching search. No head coach or offensive coordinator experience and he became both overnight. 

---------------------------------------------------------------
 840 said:

Home grown coaches have been winners... stay that way.

Kriesky only recent outsider who has won... Moosey and ES have not

Need to connect with community, and grassroot this thing.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Homegrown coaches should be considered but open it up to anyone and see who applies. Moose was 6-4. Coleman was 7-3. Kriesky and Stephenson's win percentages are as good or better than Johns and Coleman.  ES was on staff for a few years before being promoted so he could be considered both.

I'd lean toward a fresh start. No one homegrown has experience with a spread offense. Anyone can coach defense at Forrest. It's pass time we opened up the offense. We played 11 games this season Forrest and Cornersville were the only schools that lined up under center and huddled. Everyone else is no huddle, shotgun. 

Not only are they the best high school live stream around but they write articles too. 

Tcsports1 News - Rockets and Stephenson Part Ways

Rockets and Stephenson Part Ways

Posted on November 7, 2023 7:03 am by Troy Cashion

The Forrest Rockets have parted ways with veteran head football coach Eli Stephenson in a move which was announced early Monday morning. Stephenson, who inherited the job after the departure of then coach Brent Johns prior to the 2018 season, compiled an overall mark of 40 wins and 30 losses in his 6 year tenure. Stephenson will leave with a playoff record of 5-5. He guided the Rockets to the quarterfinal playoff rounds of both the 2019 and 2021 seasons which both ended in close losses to Decatur Riverside in Chapel Hill. The last two seasons have seen the Rockets go a combined 7-14. They missed the playoffs for the first time since 2008 after dropping 7 of their last 8 games in 2022 and finishing at 3-7. This season, despite a 4 game win streak, they dropped their last 6 games and finished at 4-7 after a first round playoff loss at the hands of Smith County on Friday. The opening should generate a lot of interest as the Rockets have the facilities, booster club, fan support, and roster that would be attractive to potential applicants. The Rockets lost their 3 region games this season by a combined total of only 18 points. Despite the loss of 13 seniors, it will be a roster with plenty of potential and upside for the incoming coach.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MiltonG said:

I’ve just been busy reading the comics I mean comments and what did I say exactly that would lead you to believe that I’m an advocate? He failed at his job the last 2-3 years and it’s over. I doubt anyone you get stays long as you surely can see from the past that no one stays. This job seems to be a stepping stone for coaches, even alumni don’t stay. Hopefully a young coach gets an opportunity and builds a culture if the homers will let him coach. Everyone wants tough love until they get tough love. 

you said it blew your mind how "quickly" the fan base turned on him. GTHOH with your gaslighting BC

16 hours ago, MiltonG said:

You don’t win you get let go. That’s the way it goes in the coaching business. Can’t argue the ending to this situation. 

But I will speak to a few observations. Winning the DRVC MS championship does not guarantee success, and is crazy to think it will translate to high school success when most of the teams in that conference are smaller and are bad in high school as well. Secondly, I highly doubt the new coach gets to name his staff. I doubt there are any open positions since most of the former head coaches and assistants still hold a teaching spot. Third, it just amazes me how quickly people turn on a coach who has the 2 ( I believe) best seasons in the history of the program and then go after him with 2 bad seasons with mostly young talent, that might run off some quality coaches idk. Lastly, when has Chapel Hill ever been an elite football program? They have had good football players with good tradition but never elite. 

In no way am I supporting or against the decision made.

Good luck I hope you land a good coach. 

1. Was he actually let go? I still have not heard anything official. 
2. You say you can't argue the ending, Then later say you don't support, nor are you against. Which is it. 
3. Your third point is complete garbage. Quickly? And best two seasons? In what way? Johns took Forrest to QF by beating astoundingly good teams like Watertown, Page, Tyner, and Meigs, and lost to the best team in 2A in 2016 who should have won the title had Trez not cheated their way to it with zero consequences. Coach Eli struggled to get past teams like Summertown, got a down Eagleville 2x and the other QF year got an Adamsville JV team and a down Lewis. Additionally, the regions those years were night and day. You can do that research on your own. Btu get back to me on what you meant by two best seasons ever. One of those QF years he still lost to Cornersville, Marion, ER, then Riverside. 
4. Along the way he alienated people. He isn't a people person. Nor is he a kid person. 
5. Why am I even typing this? You are obviously a troll. 
6. Fayetteville is bad in HS? Eagleville (still playing last I looked) is bad in HS? And those Cannon kids are going to be very good in a couple of years.  That QB, Miles whatever, that kid could play. They had half a dozen very good players. Liberty and Westwood feed into other high schools. 
7. Find where I, or anyone, ever claimed elite. They were better than Riverside both times they lost to them. Coach Eli directly contributed to those losses. As well as many others. Should have been semis both years.
8. But you're amazed at how quickly it happened. 2 bad seasons? Not 4? (it was 4)
9. Anyways. I know that wasn't a serious post.  
10. Xs and Os. He was very bad. But he wasn't even a good motivator. I am amazed he lasted 4 years longer than he should have. I struggle to find what he was good at besides being in the right place when Johns resigned. 
11. If this is what we saw/know about, imagine what we didn't see. 
12, His games never met the eye test. Penalties. Dead ball fouls. Stuff that did not happen under Coleman or Kriesky. And rarely under Johns. Happened a dozen times a game with this one. 1st and 20 was a staple. Holding cancelling big plays. 
13. How about a kid walking off the field in '18 when Coach Eli made him crab walk on the field in front of his family. Coach Eli never knew how to handle a situation. So he would do nothing then weeks later he would overreact to the other extreme. I'd never seen anything like that in my life. 

Otherwise, outstanding post. 

3 hours ago, Salem said:

Kriesky and Stephenson's win percentages are as good or better than Johns and Coleman.

coleman was there 1 year

johns went 11-2 and then lost a great senior class. the majority of talent in 2017 were 10th graders. coach eli got the benefit of that in 2019 when they were seniors. to me coleman, kriesky and johns are same level,. eli several levels lower. 

4 hours ago, Salem said:

He was on the previous staff for a couple of seasons. Previous coach quit in May 2018 and the principal promoted Stephenson, the DC, to head coach without any sort of coaching search. No head coach or offensive coordinator experience and he became both overnight. 

---------------------------------------------------------------
 840 said:

Home grown coaches have been winners... stay that way.

Kriesky only recent outsider who has won... Moosey and ES have not

Need to connect with community, and grassroot this thing.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Homegrown coaches should be considered but open it up to anyone and see who applies. Moose was 6-4. Coleman was 7-3. Kriesky and Stephenson's win percentages are as good or better than Johns and Coleman.  ES was on staff for a few years before being promoted so he could be considered both.

I'd lean toward a fresh start. No one homegrown has experience with a spread offense. Anyone can coach defense at Forrest. It's pass time we opened up the offense. We played 11 games this season Forrest and Cornersville were the only schools that lined up under center and huddled. Everyone else is no huddle, shotgun. 

Not only are they the best high school live stream around but they write articles too. 

Tcsports1 News - Rockets and Stephenson Part Ways

Rockets and Stephenson Part Ways

Posted on November 7, 2023 7:03 am by Troy Cashion

The Forrest Rockets have parted ways with veteran head football coach Eli Stephenson in a move which was announced early Monday morning. Stephenson, who inherited the job after the departure of then coach Brent Johns prior to the 2018 season, compiled an overall mark of 40 wins and 30 losses in his 6 year tenure. Stephenson will leave with a playoff record of 5-5. He guided the Rockets to the quarterfinal playoff rounds of both the 2019 and 2021 seasons which both ended in close losses to Decatur Riverside in Chapel Hill. The last two seasons have seen the Rockets go a combined 7-14. They missed the playoffs for the first time since 2008 after dropping 7 of their last 8 games in 2022 and finishing at 3-7. This season, despite a 4 game win streak, they dropped their last 6 games and finished at 4-7 after a first round playoff loss at the hands of Smith County on Friday. The opening should generate a lot of interest as the Rockets have the facilities, booster club, fan support, and roster that would be attractive to potential applicants. The Rockets lost their 3 region games this season by a combined total of only 18 points. Despite the loss of 13 seniors, it will be a roster with plenty of potential and upside for the incoming coach.

Looks like an informative post to include on your 2024 Forrest topic.