Maryville\Alcoa, Still Biggest Rivalry in Tennessee?

Upon doing research, Maryville v. Alcoa (Battle of Pistol Creek) seems to be people's "go-to" rivalry in the state of Tennessee. Both schools have remained extremely competitive and haven't been killed by suburban growth to their district to the point the school districts themselves have built new schools that would take away from their current programs. Time changes everything, but this one seems timeless, even though in Knox alone Bearden\West or Bearden\Farragut seems fun.

On another note, understand the history of BoPC dates almost 100 contests now, that's great, but from my understanding, it also seems like a race separated the rivalry quite a bit too. Any history about the school separation would be appreciated too, like I said...today's news reporters have to keep it PC and just talk about stats, I can tell there is a lot more to the story with this rivalry of passionate fans, players, coaching staffs, and their respective communities. 

Appreciate it. 

While it might be the rivalry that typically features 2 high ranked teams; saying it's the biggest rivalry is pure opinion. Just off the top of my head of some huge rivalries...

South Pitt/Marion Co

Oakland/Riverdale

DB/Science Hill

Portland/White House

Germantown/Houston

Lebanon/Mt. Juliet

I'm sure there are quite a few I'm forgetting. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ILB1999 said:

no question its lost some of its luster...

Maybe…times change. The growth of the towns has changed the most about this family rivalry. Alco has won some games recently which keeps this as the game of the year for us old timers. I may go paint the bridge!!

I've been to multiple Maryville/Alcoa and DB/Science Hill games.  

Hard to imagine any public schools games being any bigger.  Not saying there aren't some rivalries on that level, but I don't see how any can be bigger.  

Had an opportunity to see a Baylor/McCallie game, too.  I haven't seen the Nashville area privates play their big rivals, but again, hard to imagine a bigger one than Baylor/McCallie.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HTV said:

Hard to imagine any public schools games being any bigger.  Not saying there aren't some rivalries on that level, but I don't see how any can be bigger.  

Had an opportunity to see a Baylor/McCallie game, too.  I haven't seen the Nashville area privates play their big rivals, but again, hard to imagine a bigger one than Baylor/McCallie.  

Baylor vs McCallie and MBA vs Brentwood Academy are big games and MBA vs Ensworth was a really big rivalry when Ricky Bowers was coaching football.  Decades ago Father Ryan and MBA was a huge rivalry that would draw 10K fans but the Irish have been so bad for so long they are no longer a rivalry for anyone.

5 hours ago, strongx said:

Maybe…times change. The growth of the towns has changed the most about this family rivalry. Alco has won some games recently which keeps this as the game of the year for us old timers. I may go paint the bridge!!

Take the barber with ya. He needs time to reflect..............

3 hours ago, HTV said:

Toss in Greeneville Elizabethton rivalry.

• Upvote 1