Maryville\Alcoa, Still Biggest Rivalry in Tennessee?

5 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

Except in alot of instances, it's not up to date. Personally prefer GHS, but they're both tremendous resources 

they stopped updating it before the 2021 season according to the home page.  it took me a minute to get the hang of the new one but I like it more as I use it more.  it's like a pivot table on a website.

10 hours ago, GoPats2019 said:

Neither Riverdale nor Oakland were anything 1973-1977. Both opened in 1972 and Murfreesboro was much smaller as they had just split Central High School. 

I remember the split. Can't imagine Murfreesboro being that small.  Time flies.

Most of these are regional rivals in high school ranks. I drew my example from the collage ranks where the feuds are larger and more intense. The one that holds the highest percentage of importance to the largest number of the fan base, IMO, is by far BAMA- AUBURN.

Edited by chs1984
Misspelled Word

On 7/3/2023 at 9:29 PM, theawesomebro said:

you probably know better than me.  my source was this website which is pretty robust but may not be current...

https://ghsfha.org/w/Special:THSFHS/school/records/Maryville

They have 1931 as a 6-6 tie. My records have it as a 6-0 MHS win.  They may have entered it wrong because 1932 on the site and my records was a 6-6 tie.

Edited by Red Rebels

1 hour ago, Red Rebels said:

They have 1931 as a 6-6 tie. My records have it as a 6-0 MHS win.  They may have entered it wrong because 1932 on the site and my records was a 6-6 tie.

In 1934 records say Maryville beat Alcoa in the paper and yearly program with no score for the longest time as I can remember but Alcoa actually won that game 13-0. I've even seen the score Maryville 10-3.

On 7/3/2023 at 7:38 AM, ILB1999 said:

no question its lost some of its luster...

Alcoa actually wins championships nowadays.

Maryville has to create fake championships from the 1960s in order to feel relevant.  

Maryville can’t beat Oakland to get to a championship because Kevin Creasy came to the Boro took the keys to MHS shortly afterwards.  

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 2:52 PM, HTV said:

I've been to multiple Maryville/Alcoa and DB/Science Hill games.  

Hard to imagine any public schools games being any bigger.  Not saying there aren't some rivalries on that level, but I don't see how any can be bigger.  

Had an opportunity to see a Baylor/McCallie game, too.  I haven't seen the Nashville area privates play their big rivals, but again, hard to imagine a bigger one than Baylor/McCallie.  

I’ll put Pearl Cohn Vs East game against a lot of them teams. Largest HS game I’ve seen in TN.

13 minutes ago, howdoitknow said:

Maryville has to create fake championships from the 1960s in order to feel relevant.  

Maryville can’t beat Oakland to get to a championship because Kevin Creasy came to the Boro took the keys to MHS shortly afterwards.  

The copium is strong in this one...

On 7/6/2023 at 8:58 PM, howdoitknow said:

Oh look, howdoitknownothing had to chime in. He can't help himself.

I think Mark Twain had him in mind when he stroked this quote.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let everybody think you are a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Tee Hee Hee

• Upvote 1

On 7/6/2023 at 8:58 PM, howdoitknow said:

How many times has hunt beat creasy? Rankin?