The History of Players Transferring to "Better" Programs

OutlawAngel

Just wondering for those young and old, a perspective on when we started seeing players transfer so much, if they really do, if it always has been happening, and just an overall look back at it all. Thanks.

Was hoping to have a poll on this, but the options would have been:

- Since Social Media became a thing 10-15 years ago

- Always has been prevalent, we just know about it more now thanks to Social Media

- It's really not that prevalent

- Started more recently with NIL in College Recruiting

Combination of a couple of them. Winning programs such as Alcoa and Oakland have built success from success. I went to Alcoa's scrimmage Friday Night against Chattanooga MaCallie and was amazed with not only the number of kids that had came there from another school over the winter but the fact most of them will play at another level after high school. Things I see that are even better for Alcoa is that they have upped the schedule which is a major difference between Rankin and Nix. There are a couple of games I would love to see such as the Greenville, Ravenwood and Bearden games. That also is a big fan draw which I credit Nix for doing. I've always baddgered my buddies from Alcoa about playing up a league or two and this is why.

12 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Combination of a couple of them. Winning programs such as Alcoa and Oakland have built success from success. I went to Alcoa's scrimmage Friday Night against Chattanooga MaCallie and was amazed with not only the number of kids that had came there from another school over the winter but the fact most of them will play at another level after high school. Things I see that are even better for Alcoa is that they have upped the schedule which is a major difference between Rankin and Nix. There are a couple of games I would love to see such as the Greenville, Ravenwood and Bearden games. That also is a big fan draw which I credit Nix for doing. I've always baddgered my buddies from Alcoa about playing up a league or two and this is why.

Alcoa's out of region opponents has ALWAYS been higher classification teams for many years?????? 

Just the last 10 years, 3A Alcoa's out of region opponents:

6A Maryville every year, 5A West, 6A Blackman, 6A Ravenwood, 6A Bearden, 4A Greenville, D2 Knox Catholic and Webb, 6A Dobyns-Bennett, 5A Rhea County, 6A Cookeville, & 6A McMinn Co......and for short period (two years) 6A Heritage and William Blount. After the lopsided losses they dropped Alcoa again. 

But, Coach Nix has increased the schedule strength having multiple tough games early and  back to back. Traveling to a Coach Hester led Ravenwood Team first game, might even be tougher than Maryville's first game this season? :bored:

7 hours ago, BCsportsfan said:

Alcoa's out of region opponents has ALWAYS been higher classification teams for many years?????? 

Just the last 10 years, 3A Alcoa's out of region opponents:

6A Maryville every year, 5A West, 6A Blackman, 6A Ravenwood, 6A Bearden, 4A Greenville, D2 Knox Catholic and Webb, 6A Dobyns-Bennett, 5A Rhea County, 6A Cookeville, & 6A McMinn Co......and for short period (two years) 6A Heritage and William Blount. After the lopsided losses they dropped Alcoa again. 

But, Coach Nix has increased the schedule strength having multiple tough games early and  back to back. Traveling to a Coach Hester led Ravenwood Team first game, might even be tougher than Maryville's first game this season? :bored:

Actually complimenting Nix BC. Yes they have played those teams in the past but Rankin seemed  to catch many of them in their down years, Nix has done the opposite catching them in their up years. The big one I give Rankin credit on was West but when they were scheduled they were in turmoil from the past coach. Only reason Maryville plays Heritage is it's a money game. Alcoa has proved to me they are one of the top five teams in public classification for a few years now. This up scheduling with those good teams their playing is in my opinion the best way to show it. The rivalry between both Maryville and Alcoa has also benefited both teams. Neither wants to be behind the other and has worked so hard on each others improvement they have literally out paced the others they play without realizing it. Look at the facilities both have and look at the rest, nothing compares. I have taken out of town guest by both campuses and most thought they were small colleges they were so impressed.

20 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Actually complimenting Nix BC. Yes they have played those teams in the past but Rankin seemed  to catch many of them in their down years, Nix has done the opposite catching them in their up years. The big one I give Rankin credit on was West but when they were scheduled they were in turmoil from the past coach. Only reason Maryville plays Heritage is it's a money game. Alcoa has proved to me they are one of the top five teams in public classification for a few years now. This up scheduling with those good teams their playing is in my opinion the best way to show it. The rivalry between both Maryville and Alcoa has also benefited both teams. Neither wants to be behind the other and has worked so hard on each others improvement they have literally out paced the others they play without realizing it. Look at the facilities both have and look at the rest, nothing compares. I have taken out of town guest by both campuses and most thought they were small colleges they were so impressed.

Yes, I agree Coach Nix has taken Alcoa's schedule to the next level. For Sure!

I still disagree that Alcoa's schedule has been soft other than the region games in the past under Coach Rankin. Anytime a 650 enrollment school with 60-70 players goes up against a school with 1800-2200 enrollment and 100-120 players, It is FAR from a cake walk.

The `ol barber use to call it clubbing baby seals cause of Alcoa's schedule?? Maryville playing DOWN in classification to a team that has won 6 games TOTAL in 5 years is beyond baby seal clubbing.

Plus, How is that game preparing Maryville for a loaded 6A Region 2???

BTW, these 6A teams Alcoa play, don't really bring much more gate money or attendance over the typical 3A regional opponent? So, I've never bought in to your BIG GATE Money argument? Maybe the 6A Teams don't bring many Fans cause they know the outcome....:thumb:

I think the major recruiting movement first started with the evolution of the privates. 

I think public schools had always experienced some movement, as REBELRON mentioned.

Yet, the privates started the major movement of players across more than one or two school zones.

The Brentwood Academy vs the TSSAA lawsuit saw all of this reach critical mass in Tennessee.

The result of that trial in my opinion created a more fuzzy understanding of the recruiting rule. The rule cannot be strictly enforced, and coaches are frustrated by the lack of enforcement of the recruiting rules. FYI - the TSSAA does not have a "police" staff to enforce the rules.

High school administrators, coaches, parents and players have been corrupted by recruiting. A significant amount of the public thinks there are no rules against recruitment, especially in the private school division.

Schools get tired of losing student-athletes to private and public schools, so they start recruiting. It is a corruption that continues to spread.

The real question is not when did it start, but when will recruiting stop in Tennessee high school athletics?

Any Tennessee high school coach who condones or engages in  recruiting is in violation of the TSSAA rule.

Read Section 17 in its entirety if you do not know or understand the rule:

TSSAA Recruiting Rule

Section 17. Athletic recruiting is prohibited. Athletic recruiting is the use of influence on a student or the parents or guardians of a student, by any person(s) directly or indirectly associated with the school, to secure or retain a student for athletic purposes. In the event that there is a violation of this rule, there shall be a penalty against the school, and the student(s) who was the subject of the violation shall be ineligible for a minimum of one year.

The penalty and any additional period of ineligibility beyond the one-year minimum will be determined by the Executive Director based on a consideration of the number of violations involved, the number of student-athletes involved, the nature of the violation(s), the individual(s) responsible for the violation(s), and the extent to which the violation may have been knowing, deliberate, or in reckless disregard of the provisions of this rule and the commentary that accompanies this rule.

Link to the TSSAA By-Laws - Handbook READ SECTION 17https://cms-files.tssaa.org/documents/tssaa/2023-24/handbook/2023-24TSSAABylaws.pdf

5 minutes ago, Indian said:

Third party involvement is getting out of control.

Using third party is how you don't get caught. Hang a rounders, car salesmen , former players, Middle school and rec coaches, ect. are doing a lot of the dirty work. It has become a very soficasticated system that TSSAA does not have the manpower, laws, mechanism, or willpower to get under control and stop high school athletics from getting out of control. What some people don't realize is some players transfer without moving after their freshman year and don't play much for what ever reason and then they are stuck or lose a year of eligibility if they even have one left. That is why l included car salesman. Some young people are sold a bill of goods from whomever and when they get there it is not the wonderland they were told about. Lastly TSSAA only talks to administration and head coaches most of the time. Anyone else with information about rule violations usually doesn't get very far with TSSAA.