Future of Dobyns Bennett Football

indians1987

2 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

Even if it's true the Tri-cities big schools do NOT have the culture to support a championship football program.     Could GQ go against the powers that be and change that?     Maybe but it would be an uphill battle.

OK, the AD, Frankie Debusk and Coach Quarels both played together at Furman. Both Coached by Tim Sorrells, son of former Greeneville coach, Fred Sorrells. Debusk played for Coach Fred Sorrells at GHS and led Furman as a QB to a National title. This is fairly convoluted which most football situations tend to be. I would not be surprised if something happens but like everyone else I actually have no idea.

26 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

OK, the AD, Frankie Debusk and Coach Quarels both played together at Furman. Both Coached by Tim Sorrells, son of former Greeneville coach, Fred Sorrells. Debusk played for Coach Fred Sorrells at GHS and led Furman as a QB to a National title. This is fairly convoluted which most football situations tend to be. I would not be surprised if something happens but like everyone else I actually have no idea.

It would be  nice to see if he could turn the program around.      Boone loses to DB 95% of the time so it doesn't matter to the Blazers one way or the other.       Assuming he didn't get squashed by the culture I would be willing to bet he beats Science Hill the 1st year.      

3 hours ago, noonesfool said:

The chances are far greater that Frankie Debusk leaves DB than Quarles comes to DB. If Quarles and Debusk end up at the same school, it won't be DB. And even if Quarles goes back to coaching high school. I think if he does it would be one of the privates. Also, it would take a truck load of money to get Quarles. not just for him but all the assistants he would demand on bringing along. DB has probably two keepers. The rest would never make it under Quarles. Then there's the school board who would have to approve all this. The school board is all in on the band and could care less about the football program. So, for that reason on its own there will be no change in coaching. The band is the best thing that ever happened for the "Good ole Boys" 

Edited by WaCoJaCo

44 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

The chances are far greater that Frankie Debusk leaves DB than Quarles comes to DB. If Quarles and Debusk end up at the same school, it won't be DB. And even if Quarles goes back to coaching high school. I think if he does it would be one of the privates. Also, it would take a truck load of money to get Quarles. not just for him but all the assistants he would demand on bringing along. DB has probably two keepers. The rest would never make it under Quarles. Then there's the school board who would have to approve all this. The school board is all in on the band and could care less about the football program. So, for that reason on its on there will be no change in coaching. The band is the best thing that ever happened for the "Good ole Boys" 

Pretty good assessment. I was just throwing out ties. I personally think Coach Q goes out of state. Take his retirement and double dip.

3 hours ago, noonesfool said:

It’s a good fit. I hate it, but a good fit. The players will show up.

On 11/22/2023 at 2:23 PM, QuickStrike said:

Tri Cities wins in basketball and competes well in others.   Can be done, but everybody got to be committed.  

comparing basketball, a soft air conditioned sport, to football is the reason why ya'll under preform. You don't have to be tough to be good at basketball. Also you only need 7ish players to be good. In 6A football you need 22 good tough players.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2023 at 4:40 PM, blazer1set said:

Even if it's true the Tri-cities big schools do NOT have the culture to support a championship football program.     Could GQ go against the powers that be and change that?     Maybe but it would be an uphill battle.

Being reported GQ going to Austin Peay as tight ends coach.

https://www.theleafchronicle.com/story/sports/college/apsu/2023/12/12/george-quarles-austin-peay-football-jeff-faris-maryville-tight-ends-coach/71896124007/