2024 Heritage Mountaineers

5 hours ago, mountaineer said:

I lived through the Hammontree era with my sons. His 10 year tenure at Heritage was way too long. That is the most hard headed, egotistical man I have ever met. He ridiculed players and degraded repeatedly. He ran off some good young coaches that loved Heritage but couldn’t work for him. I do know what I’m talking about and it’s not hearsay, I lived it. 

Ah, more Coach Ham bashing. There seems to be a club, so tell us, are you the VP, Chairman? 

From the stories I've heard from his past players themselves Coach Ham is one of a kind and has literally worked himself to the bone year after year at every coaching stop. His legacy isn't Ws and Ls. 

So give it a rest. It may be old school cliché, but could you even walk a mile in his shoes? The man has retired from coaching, let him be. Even on these measily message boards.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, HighSchoolFootballFan11 said:

It’s not hearsay, just patently false. As one of those young coaches he apparently “ran off”, coach never once ridiculed or degraded anyone. Sure he challenged kids and coached them very hard,  but we have different definitions of you call that degrading. Coach Hammontree changed my life when he gave me the chance to work for him. I learned more about being a man and caring for the people around me in 4 years working for him than I did in 20 years of my life. No one sacrificed more than he did. I left Heritage because I felt there would never be the support necessary to help the program succeed. I’m tired of hearing people drag others down especially those they truly don’t know. Coach has moved on and a new coach is there. Just let the man live and root for the team. 

Telling an 18 yr old young man he’ll never amount to anything and he will spend the rest of his life bagging groceries. That’s degrading in my book. 

On 4/19/2024 at 9:46 PM, mountaineer said:

Telling an 18 yr old young man he’ll never amount to anything and he will spend the rest of his life bagging groceries. That’s degrading in my book. 

He may have possibly said that to get the best out of him. Back when I was in school word got out I was going to transfer and Coach Story popped off and ask Coach Wilson in front of the team if Maryville was going to get a jock strap in return on this trade. That got back to me and I got fired up and stayed just to show them up. Now today Coach Story is one of my best friends.

When Danny was a senior he was the quarterback on the 82 team and also the placeholder on extra points. At the end of the game Heritage scored a touchdown with very little time left and went ahead 9-0. On the following extra point Danny rose up and threw a perfect pass to one of his receivers which made it 11-0 and Heritage's first win against Maryville since the series started in 77. Maryville fans were highly ticked off because they felt like it was rubbing salt in the wound. The following year when both teams met again at Maryville  the Rebels ran away with the game and after the first couple of touchdowns they went for two points after each score for a pay back and the score was 45-0 at halftime. The following Monday Bob Gilbert the sports eiditor for the local paper bashed Maryville in an article called the Humilation of Teenagers and tore into Maryville even though he was a graduate of the school. Those were the good ole days when Heritage had decent teams and the rivalry between them and Maryville was a fun event to see.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

When Danny was a senior he was the quarterback on the 82 team and also the placeholder on extra points. At the end of the game Heritage scored a touchdown with very little time left and went ahead 9-0. On the following extra point Danny rose up and threw a perfect pass to one of his receivers which made it 11-0 and Heritage's first win against Maryville since the series started in 77. Maryville fans were highly ticked off because they felt like it was rubbing salt in the wound. The following year when both teams met again at Maryville  the Rebels ran away with the game and after the first couple of touchdowns they went for two points after each score for a pay back and the score was 45-0 at halftime. The following Monday Bob Gilbert the sports eiditor for the local paper bashed Maryville in an article called the Humilation of Teenagers and tore into Maryville even though he was a graduate of the school. Those were the good ole days when Heritage had decent teams and the rivalry between them and Maryville was a fun event to see.

The only thing that was said at half time of the 45-0 game was Coach Story, he said: "I know y'all have been out there a lot, but kick-off team, y'all need to get down there faster!" Then he and the other coaches proceeded to go into the coaches office and we all went nuts!  It was the only time I can ever remember coaches not saying anything at half time. Definitely a great memory!!!

55 minutes ago, MHS85 said:

The only thing that was said at half time of the 45-0 game was Coach Story, he said: "I know y'all have been out there a lot, but kick-off team, y'all need to get down there faster!" Then he and the other coaches proceeded to go into the coaches office and we all went nuts!  It was the only time I can ever remember coaches not saying anything at half time. Definitely a great memory!!!

My favorite game of the 1980'S, that's why I remember it so well.

12 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

My favorite game of the 1980'S, that's why I remember it so well.

I think I remember that the Rebels missed their second extra point making it 13-0 and thus having good reason to go for 2 when they scored again, making it 21-0.  But, they continued to go for 2 for the next 4 scores before halftime.  At that point, everyone knew a statement was being made.

• Like 1