Gallatin has ineligible players?

GWAVE1

ELA,

So how does a school avoid getting sucker-punched by the TSSAA. Do you make a legitimate transfer sit out to avoid this. How is that fair to the kid? Gallatin did EVERYTHING possible to avoid this on the front end. Are the schools supposed to break into the kids house and take pictures or what.

Again, it is not the responsibility of the TSSAA to insure that a kid lives where he says he lives, it is the responsibility of the parents to tell the truth when they sign their kid up to play ball. This could happen to any school! CPA turned themselves in when they discovered they had a problem. If the rules need to be changed, then Gallatin should request a rule change, but under the circumstances, the TSSAA had no choice but to follow the rules that are on the books. I don't think it was a sucker punch for the TSSAA to follow the rules from their handbook. Maybe in the future, a new rule can be written, but since this came out so late in the season, what else could be done? It's a bad situation for both the TSSAA and Gallatin.

Ela,

I disagree with the notion that the TSSAA had no choice but rule this way. The bylaws say an exception can be made. If the TSSAA had not appoved Gallatin's request twice they could have filed for a hardship. There is no possible way a school can pry into a kid's private family life and I maintain the TSSAA takes the cowards way out. Why is there no consideration for the INTENT of the law. I read the bylaws today and the TSSAA has a whole layer in there to cover their rears. It is impossible iin todays society to comply completely. What they did to Gallatin is plain old wrong. There is absolutely nothing Gallatin could have done and by doing it "by the book" they received the high school death penalty. You guys can continue this TSSAA and Ronnie Carter lovefest but they have the most fault in this. How can a school take a chance on playing any kid after this. To my knowledge nothing has changed and Gallatin was 100 percent truthful on everyting. You tell me how Gallatin could have prevented this.

If there is a problem with the system, change the system... the only way it could have worked out any differently is if the parents had been straight-forward about their situation. This sort of thing happens to schools all the time but it doesn't always see the light of day. Here's what I think will happen as a result of this... more coaches and A.D.'s will follow up the paperwork more closely. If a school doesn't like the rules they should submit a change of rules and procedures to improve the system. The problems only come into play with transfer students and incoming freshman. The school system has to be the one who investigates their own people. Under the new laws in Tennessee it is illegal to lie about your address to fraudulently receive a public education.

I really feel bad for everyone at Gallatin but under the current rules, there is no other way for this to have worked out. If the kids parents lie about his address, the TSSAA can't investigate until someone reports it to them. They had to assume that the address on the application was correct since neither school suggested otherwise until after the game in question.

For the record, Ronnie Carter and I are not friends. We are both professionals who are in the same business but we don't have anything else in common. I don't care who the Director of the TSSAA is, they would have had to follow the bylaws of the organization. I will support any decision to change this law but someone will have to make the proposal!

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ELA and 82cat, I read and read and read your posts and one thing keeps coming up. Both of you and others say the parents decieved or the kid does not live where he was supposed to. I am telling you that your premise is incorrect. There is nothing to indicate that there was any fradulent information given by the parent. "Bona fide"means good faith. I do not think that the parent or child looked at the by-laws and said here they'll never check this out. What we have is a problem with a definition. The TSSAA defines it one way and society defines it another. Those by-laws in order to be effective with intent must adapt to the current social changes. The kid does have a step-brother living in Hermitage with the biological father. The parent in question does own property in Hermitage as well. However, the parent lives in Gallatin. The kid also lives with his biological and legal guardian in Gallatin. The forms are correct. Therefore, there is no infraction in the first place. Just because the TSSAA rules one way does in no way mean that is the correct way. Brentwood Aca. had to fight for what was right and in turn the TSSAA was ordered to change their by-laws. Don't act like it is so radical for a school to do this. Just look at the case history of the BA VS TSSAA case. Look at how many court cases happen in other states as are outlined by the ruling. Everyone keeps saying "ohhh, I am so sorry for Gallatin. But that is just the way it is". NO THAT IS NOT THE WAY IT HAS TO BE!! Gallatin is fighting for change and more importantly vendication of something that they feel is correct. Howcome none of ya'll can see that is beyond me. Nobody believes that we got fair treatment from the TSSAA. Noone from Gallatin has even suggested that we were "duped" or "lied" to. If that was the case I would think that somebody would have said so by now.

Look at the by-laws, its says in them that the TSSAA or Executive Director will do everything possible to make a player eligible. It has already been said that the kid could have submitted a hardship and more than likely it would have been approved. He could have been eligible last week. Yes , he said that. Well I ask you, what facts if he is ineligible have changed? Just the paperwork. The more I look at this I see or smell a rat. With more facts I think that this will become more apparent. I wish I could discuss some of what I know, but I will wait.

Oh ya by the way. I talked to one of the lawyers today. The first hurdle has been met. The case will be heard tommorrow with a possible judgement coming by Thursday. If all goes well, the wins will be reinstated and we will be in the playoffs. Might be a long shot but that is all we have.

Who exactly is Gallatin preparing for if the ruling is changed? I really don't expect that a playoff game is in the future, regardless of the legal outcome.

Also-there are a couple of differences that, from what I have read, noone has mentioned concerning CPA and Gallatin.

If my memory serves me, and it may not, Pack realized that he failed to submit all the proper paperwork and reported the act immediately. He made a mistake, took the appropriate action, and forfeits took place. And, as I might add, with plenty of time for CPA to salvage their season and defend their title.

In Gallatin's case all the papers were submitted and Gallatin patiently awaited a decision. There was no deceit on Gallatin's part. TSSAA was informed informally by McGavock earlier in the season. TSSAA did not take action until McGavock formally(in writing) submitted the discrepency.

Now, ideally, if McGavock knew something Gallatin did not (i.e.-the truth about the kids status) then they would have stepped up and notified Gallatin. Or, on the other side of things, Gallatin would have contacted McGavock in an effort to retrieve more details. Neither one of these things happened. Who benefited? Glencliff and Brentwood.

But, as has been mentioned over and over, the status of the kids address, legal gaurdian, etc., is debatable. TSSAA chose to go in the direction of holding Gallatin accountable. If TSSAA had not taken action then there would be plenty of schools that would cry foul. I really can't say that I blame TSSAA that much. It seems as though they going to be condemned either way.

No one wins. Lets look to the future. Lets move on.

Aside from Gallatin's position, how fair is it to have teams prepare for one opponent all week, and then have the game changed at the 11th hour and have to play someone else? All of the other teams in Regions 5 and 6, who had no part in this, will be affected. Would Gallatin be awarded first, second, third, fourth? Glencliff is in the position of preparing for one team or you don't play. I gather that Gallatin has continued to practice, who are they preparing for? And final question, would a stay order affect just these games, or would the judge get very broad and stay all of the TSSAA's playoff games? I have a hunch that the judges will take the easy way out and not issue the ruling until next week, making the whole issue moot.

Worst case scenario

Gallatin wins an injunction the TSSAA appeals it gets tied up in courts with ALL games on hold until the case can be heard. It takes to long to get the games in because of the delay (these things can take weeks) and like the world series the playoffs for 5a are cancelled!

Be interesting to see where that Gallatin support on the board would go then!

Be careful what you wish for in the form of an injunction you might just get it.

The Gallatin motto then could be if we can't play no one can!

Sometimes you try to beat the system as this family did and everyone loses

GWave1,

Good points. First of all everyone is still assuming the parent (singular) lied on the form. To my knowledge THEY (mother and son) DO live in Gallatin. The question was raised because she still owns her house in Nashiville and the brother goes to Dupont Tyler (sp?) Middle School. IF she DID move to Gallatin and the address is correct then wouldn't that make the BROTHER ineligible to compete??????? Besides, ELA, there will never be a perfect set of rules and something else that taxes the letter of the law will come up...can we agree on that. My point is, Ronnie Carter, you, the TSSAA or anybody else in this business has to use a brain in considering the INTENT of the rule. YOU CAN NOT have a system that places a school in a no win situation. AGAIN, is the TSSAA not smart enough to know what questions to ask to avoid this????? Gallatin did EVERYTHING they were asked to do and you haven't told me yet what they could have done to avoid this.

fromthetop and theman,

You have to give us Gallatin people more credit....we believe in everything being fair.....if we are going to get shafted everybody ought to...Seriously though, those other schools in region 5 wouldn't be where they are without the forfeits. Gallatin EARNED their 8 wins and the HL loss is still questionable.

Edited by Wireman

This is coming from a Gallatin alum, former player, and true fan:

the HL loss is still questionable.

Questionable??? Gallatin got the tar beat out of them, I have never saw a Gallatin football team give up that many points. Granted the officiating was terrible, but Gallatin ran into a angry metro team that was tired of all the metro schools cant win talk. Take away the situation, and I still think the Hunters Lane victory stands. If Gallatin were to meet them again, I think the result would be very different though.

We G-town fans can only hope and pray now.... ;)

GWave1,

Good points. First of all everyone is still assuming the parent (singular) lied on the form. To my knowledge THEY (mother and son) DO live in Gallatin. The question was raised because she still owns her house in Nashiville and the brother goes to Dupont Tyler (sp?) Middle School. IF she DID move to Gallatin and the address is correct then wouldn't that make the BROTHER ineligible to compete??????? Besides, ELA, there will never be a perfect set of rules and something else that taxes the letter of the law will come up...can we agree on that. My point is, Ronnie Carter, you, the TSSAA or anybody else in this business has to use a brain in considering the INTENT of the rule. YOU CAN NOT have a system that places a school in a no win situation. AGAIN, is the TSSAA not smart enough to know what questions to ask to avoid this????? Gallatin did EVERYTHING they were asked to do and you haven't told me yet what they could have done to avoid this.

Can there be a better rule? YES! Are there better transfer rules in other states? YES! But we must live with the rule we have until it's changed. I don't think two weeks before the playoffs we can say, Okay, you guys have a special and unique situation here so we are going to let you guys have a pass? They have looked at this situation and have determined that something was wrong and you guys don't like the ruling. I understand that, however, the whole state should not be held hostage until you guys can work it out through the courts. What you should do is go to court and try the case like BA did. It may take several years, but at least you won't be holding the rest of the state hostage because of what you feel is an injustice against your school. I would argue that you guys should go to court if you feel you have a case, but let it play out without effecting the rest of your region and the 5A schools across the state.

fromthetop and theman,

You have to give us Gallatin people more credit....we believe in everything being fair.....if we are going to get shafted everybody ought to...Seriously though, those other schools in region 5 wouldn't be where they are without the forfeits. Gallatin EARNED their 8 wins and the HL loss is still questionable.

No, that may be true. But what about the Region 6 teams who have been preparing all week for one team but may have to face another? That would NOT be fair and I will be very upset if it happens.

FHS, I can't help but say that this IS, without a doubt, the TSSAA's fault. I agree that it would not be fair to have to practice with the mindset of playing one team, and then have to play another. In fact, Hendersonville is looking at video from both Dickson County and Brentwood. But if this goes in Gallatin's favor, I should hope that everyone will turn their anger to the TSSAA.