Best High School Rivalry

JC4life

In my opinion as a WILDCAT fan, I get more pumped for an OAK RIDGE vs Clinton game than any other. Dragon Stadium and Blankenship Field are wonderful places to watch prep football and the fans truly appreciate the history of this cross-county rivalry.

OAK RIDGE vs Farragut is a close second. I know I shouldn't but I smile everytime I hear the Farragutless cheer (sorry Admiral fans).

I live in Hixson now and down here everybody seems to hate Red Bank the most and consider the Lions to be their biggest rival. Personally, I love every time a public school beats Baylor or McCallie. I like Boyd Buc, though. Go figure.

A big rivalry not mentioned yet is Chatt. Brainerd vs Chatt. Howard. Even my second grade students talk about this game. They eventually end up at Brainerd so I also pull for Brainerd.

There are great rivalry games in the counties that have great football year end and year out. Being a Sumner county football fan and a Blue Devil supporter, our biggest rivals (Greenbrier and Portland) will take on different meanings. With my Blue Devils moving down to 3a next year, the Greenbrier game takes on a whole new flavor, if that is possible. Portland is still Portland. We may co- exist as neighbors, but I know folks who would take nine losses if our only "w" was against Portland.

There are bigger stadiums, there are teams that draw more fans, but there is nothing that compares to the crowds at the WH-- Portland and Greenbrier games. It is special to the players, to the fans, and to the communities. Certain games just have that special electricty and intensity, and both of these games have a huge dose of both. There is NEVER a lack of intensity in these games. NEVER a letdown. Always the best games of the year. You can't ask for anything more in rivalry games.

Edited by dandy82

There are great rivalry games in the counties that have great football year end and year out. Being a Sumner county football fan and a Blue Devil supporter, our biggest rivals (Greenbrier and Portland) will take on different meanings. With my Blue Devils moving down to 3a next year, the Greenbrier game takes on a whole new flavor, if that is possible. Portland is still Portland. We may co- exist as neighbors, but I know folks who would take nine losses if our only "w" was against Portland.

There are bigger stadiums, there are teams that draw more fans, but there is nothing that compares to the crowds at the WH-- Portland and Greenbrier games. It is special to the players, to the fans, and to the communities. Certain games just have that special electricty and intensity, and both of these games have a huge dose of both. There is NEVER a lack of intensity in these games. NEVER a letdown. Always the best games of the year. You can't ask for anything more in rivalry games.

825291185[/snapback]

It's almost that time again. Back to the Devil field for another rousing round of hard hitting. Sure would be nice to break that streak this year but next year would even be sweeter! ;) Looking forward to the excitement of a good football game with "the neighbors. Good luck Devils..take it easy on us. ;)

Edited by EZBeingGreen

Well, I know we're not in Tennessee, but I feel compelled to post about the Trinity/St. Xavier rivalry in Louisville, KY!  It was touted as the #1 High School rivalry in the US last year or the year before by one Sports publication.  The game is held each year at UL/Papa John's Cardinal Stadium, and last year drew 32,000 to the game.  Alumni plan their reunions around the date, other alumni plan their vacations to coincide, people come back from all over the country to attend this game.  Local fans take the day off work, and spend it tailgaiting at the stadium.  The week-long festivities at the schools include t-shirts made for the occasion, and an alumni golf scramble between the schools.

The rivalry is made even more intense due to the number of families who are divided by their allegiences.  It' not unsual for a family to have a kinsman playing on EACH of the teams!

I simply can't imagine a greater rivalry!

One of the longest-standing rivalries in the US is also in Louisville.  Louisville Male vs. duPont Manual is over 100 years old!  It's just as intense for those two schools as the Trinity/St. X rivalry.  In recent years, the match-up has been dominated by Male, but Manual may have the edge on them this year!  Wish I could make it to their game, but I'll be cheering for my Rocks!

825290791[/snapback]

That is awesome. I wish Tennessee had some rivalries that big.

Edited by hsfball

there is definetely a lot of hatred between oak ridge and clinton, but i would have to say its more of a basketball rivalry now - its actually competitive there. also, this past season's oak ridge at db playoff game was one of the best and most heated football games i've ever seen.

Talking about "big" high school rivals-

up in Canton, Ohio---

there is a game played every year between Massilon HS and McKinley HS.

The game sells out the Pro Football Hall of Fame stadium, and has standing room 7 or 8 people deep around the stadium. Talk about a crowd-- last time I saw that game- there was estimated 45k fans there. Had to walk a mile to park for the game!