Best High School Rivalry

JC4life

While the rivalry has kind of been put on the shelf for a while so MBA and BA can duke it out in DII-AAA, the MBA-Father Ryan rivalry has been around since the early 1900's(I think- Rollredroll probably knows if this is true or not). Years ago it was a huge deal and I think every year Father Ryan students would paint the MBA cannons purple. I guess now the MBA-Ryan rivalry has shifted from football to wrestling(ie. last year's dual match at Father Ryan).

825291784[/snapback]

The MBA-Father Ryan football rivalry was still huge as of the mid to late-nineties, but of late, Ryan hasn't given the Big Red much reason to get fired up. Hopefully, Ryan can get their act together and start fielding some good teams again. At its peak, the rivalry was just nasty. Yes, MBA's cannons got painted purple every year. You talk about two teams who really hated each other, this was it. I'm getting fired up just thinking about it!

Could someone verify the history of the Maryville/Alcoa rivalry? I hear often of it being the "longest in the state" -- and while that may very well be true, I've never asked exactly how "long" that is and if it is consecutive.

White House and Greenbrier, playing both in and out of region and in different classifications, have maintained their rivalry consecutively, without missing a game, since 1947.

This year will be the 59th game in the series and White House leads, 36-22 and has a winning streak from 1982-present.

I am not saying this is the biggest rivalry in the state, but certainly could be the longest consecutive. In this area, for all the hype about Greenbrier and Springfield, there is NOTHING like starting the season in week 1 or 2 against Portland.

Unfortunately, the Springfield rivalry is a shorter one, though very heated, and has seen two long winning streaks by each team but not a lot of flip-flop. Greenbrier used to dominate White House, that has changed in the last 20+ years. But in the Portland/White House rivalry, the streaks stop quickly, the games are incredibly tight and for years the two were considered in the top five of Class 3A, playing in the same region.

In a couple of towns with about 15,000 people combined, half of that attends the game. (The other half is working to feed them and police them, I guess... :D)

Maryville is 51-21-2 against Alcoa over the years. It is a great rivalry between a 4A powerhouse and a 2A powerhouse. Both teams have 12 state titles between them.

Alcoa won state championships in 1977,1978,1979,1989 and 2000.They were runner up in 1988

Maryville won state championships in 1970,1976,1978,1998,2000,2001 and 2002. They were runner up in 1977,1979 and 1997.

These 2 cities are bordering each other. The 2 schools are about 5 miles apart.

Maryville is 51-21-2 against Alcoa over the years. It is a great rivalry between a 4A powerhouse and a 2A powerhouse. Both teams have 12 state titles between them.

Alcoa won state championships in 1977,1978,1979,1989 and 2000.They were runner up in 1988

Maryville won state championships in 1970,1976,1978,1998,2000,2001 and 2002. They were runner up in 1977,1979 and 1997.

These 2 cities are bordering each other. The 2 schools are about 5 miles apart.

825294924[/snapback]

Thanks for the information. Are those 74 contests consecutive?

Could someone verify the history of the Maryville/Alcoa rivalry? I hear often of it being the "longest in the state" -- and while that may very well be true, I've never asked exactly how "long" that is and if it is consecutive.

White House and Greenbrier, playing both in and out of region and in different classifications, have maintained their rivalry consecutively, without missing a game, since 1947.

This year will be the 59th game in the series and White House leads, 36-22 and has a winning streak from 1982-present.

I am not saying this is the biggest rivalry in the state, but certainly could be the longest consecutive. In this area, for all the hype about Greenbrier and Springfield, there is NOTHING like starting the season in week 1 or 2 against Portland.

Unfortunately, the Springfield rivalry is a shorter one, though very heated, and has seen two long winning streaks by each team but not a lot of flip-flop. Greenbrier used to dominate White House, that has changed in the last 20+ years. But in the Portland/White House rivalry, the streaks stop quickly, the games are incredibly tight and for years the two were considered in the top five of Class 3A, playing in the same region.

In a couple of towns with about 15,000 people combined, half of that attends the game. (The other half is working to feed them and police them, I guess... :D)

825294908[/snapback]

the lincoln co-riverdale rivalry has gotten pretty good over the past few years b/c even though we beat them in regular season they still put us out of the playoffs when it counted which makes for some bad feelings lol. we've also knocked them out of winning the gold b4 so it kinda goes both ways.

i agree falconluv, but the riverdale-lincoln rivalry has always been a good one. these are two storied programs that continue to field great football teams, regardless of what kind of players they have to work with. just curious, do you still play for the falcons? if not, when did you graduate? my last season was the '02 season when you guys beat us 10-9 but then we made up for it in the playoffs at home. i was #66 and played guard the first game and tackle the second game. what number were you and what position did you play?