Rebels vs. Vikings

THSVikings2004

I'll make an excuse - Central is a much better team than the closest competition TN high has played.  Central has lost to two teams all season, Maryville, and barely to McCallie at McCallie.  If Central was a region 2 team they would have been undefeated champions in regular season.  We beat them twice.  Even if the game was close with 40 seconds togo, the final score wasn't and that's what matters.  If you are basing your teams abilities on the coachT strength rankings, you are in trouble.  Like it or not, head to head comparisons are the best thing we have between now and friday to judge the game (that and past history)  Wasn't the last region 1 team maryville played Greeneville in the semi's?  They were 13-1 i believe, and we wiped the field with them.  They also put up great numbers in a very weak region.

825444729[/snapback]

I believe it was Elizabethton in the Semifinals in '97 or '98. They said Elizabethton was leading then Maryville came back and won.

Some of the radio announcers up here said Maryville has a habit of falling behind and then come back late in the game. That comeback with 40 seconds to go proved it.

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B)  You know… I’ve heard a lot of talk on this thread about how THS didn’t play well against “a real team” MoWest (only winning by the score of 17-6). There hasn’t been much mention of the mighty rebels pulling one out of their butts against Knox Central. Maryville barely held up their part of the deal as they trailed in that game with 40 seconds to go! NOT MUCH OF A DOMINATION LAST FRIDAY HU!!! That game has to be a wave of emotion to ride into a clash with the Vikings?! Confidents level must be WAY UP!! Especially knowing that you will be playing another VERY athletic team. Only this team just happens to be ranked #1 in the coachT strength ratings!!! So lets hear the excuses. How bout you  RRAIDER????????  :lol:  B)

825444711[/snapback]

Vikes, believe me you are in over your head, they spanked us once and beat us once, you I am afraid are in for one long night. Central Bobcat

I know we played Betsy those years (they had some great teams) but I think in the 2000 playoffs we played Greeneville at Maryville. I remember it poured down rain, nasty weather like most semi-final games. I looked at Sonny Moore computer rankings and the Massey rankings, and both had Maryville in the top 3 in the state, with Tennessee at 19 with moore, and 12 with the massey rankings. I know they don't mean anything about an upcoming game, but they are a way to compile lots of different stats and objectify them. I would also point out that in both those rankings, McCallie is 11 and 12 respectively. Centrals a darn good team, but that's water under the bridge. I'm sure TN will be ready to play on Friday and that's good. No excuses after this one.

:lol:  You know… I’ve heard a lot of talk on this thread about how THS didn’t play well against “a real team” MoWest (only winning by the score of 17-6). There hasn’t been much mention of the mighty rebels pulling one out of their butts against Knox Central. Maryville barely held up their part of the deal as they trailed in that game with 40 seconds to go! NOT MUCH OF A DOMINATION LAST FRIDAY HU!!! That game has to be a wave of emotion to ride into a clash with the Vikings?! Confidents level must be WAY UP!! Especially knowing that you will be playing another VERY athletic team. Only this team just happens to be ranked #1 in the coachT strength ratings!!! So lets hear the excuses. How bout you  RRAIDER????????  :P  :D

825444711[/snapback]

Both of Maryville's starting RBs did not play in the Central game and Central played a mistake free ballgame--until they fell behind with 40 seconds left. Central is a great team with great athletes. Nobody said that Maryville would dominate Central. The Maryville coaches all said that the score would not be 56-10 again--in that game Central's top RB was injured.

well shelley i guess someone had to do stir it up....

confidence level is up. we expect to win every game. and since pretty much no one outside of Bristol thinks that THS is as good as Central, we aren't (as fans) really all that worried. if we can beat a really good team on a night that we make mistakes, they don't, and we are going without are two top RB's...then i wouldn't expect us to get all that worried about playing what is widely considered to be an inferior team.

not trying to be a jerk...just explaining our psyche. and again, CoachT strength rankings don't really hold a lot of water. best of luck.

All you RedRebel fans that were at the game, know that Byner did play, and contribute in the victory over Knox Central. For all you Viking fans, enjoy the last week of your season, because the state championship game was played last Friday on Lawrence avenue. This Maryville team may be the best ive seen in 20 years of following highschool football. The cats led most of the way in this game and the Rebels just WONT quit, they never give up and NEVER quit believing, and they are VERY talented, and in my opinion have the BEST coaching staff in the State, Ill tell you, Quarles could coach D-1A in college. For all you NON region 3-4A teams just a tidbit, Central only loses 2 major contributors this year, Powell returns alot of playmakers, and Maryville, WELL, Maryville is Maryville. Hey ive got an idea maybe Quarles will move on, I here Ron Zook is available. Quarles is the Spurrier of Tn high school football. thumb

Good Luck to the RedRebels (Until next year)

All you RedRebel fans that were at the game, know that Byner did play, and contribute in the victory over Knox Central. For all you Viking fans, enjoy the last week of your season, because the state championship game was played last Friday on Lawrence avenue. This Maryville team may be the best ive seen in 20 years of following highschool football. The cats led most of the way in this game and the Rebels just WONT quit, they never give up and NEVER quit believing, and they are VERY talented, and in my opinion have the BEST coaching staff in the State, Ill tell you, Quarles could coach D-1A in college. For all you NON region 3-4A teams just a tidbit, Central only loses 2 major contributors this year, Powell returns alot of playmakers, and Maryville, WELL, Maryville is Maryville. Hey ive got an idea maybe Quarles will move on, I here Ron Zook is available. Quarles is the Spurrier of Tn high school football. thumb

Good Luck to the RedRebels (Until next year)

825444857[/snapback]

Byner played a total of three plays.

<_<  You know… I’ve heard a lot of talk on this thread about how THS didn’t play well against “a real team” MoWest (only winning by the score of 17-6). There hasn’t been much mention of the mighty rebels pulling one out of their butts against Knox Central. Maryville barely held up their part of the deal as they trailed in that game with 40 seconds to go! NOT MUCH OF A DOMINATION LAST FRIDAY HU!!! That game has to be a wave of emotion to ride into a clash with the Vikings?! Confidents level must be WAY UP!! Especially knowing that you will be playing another VERY athletic team. Only this team just happens to be ranked #1 in the coachT strength ratings!!! So lets hear the excuses. How bout you  RRAIDER????????  :P  :D

825444711[/snapback]

first of all, mo-west blows this year. they couldnt beat their way out of a plastic bag, much less beat a good football team, and you guys only won what 17-6. second of all, central doesnt and we were definately ahead with more than 40 seconds left, you need to check your sources before you spout off on here. pulling one out of their butts? you must not be familiar with our program. its called great coaching, combined with a poised quarterback. once again, get your facts straight. keep running your mouth, you'll have crow all in it friday night

That Central game in week 9 was misleading. Maryville was up 7-3 when David Gaston got hurt. Gaston is Centrals best tailback and a threat to score every play. He is a very good cover corner also.When Gaston went down and Maryville scored before the half to make it 21-3 the Central team lost it's fight that night. Last friday Central was healthy. Gaston makes a huge difference. David Gaston and Terrence Scott are 2 of the fastest players in East Tennessee. Those 2 guys along with Zack Helton makes them hard to defend. Central also went in a shotgun formation most of the night and gave Maryville problems with it. I guarantee you Central would whip any team that was on TN High's schedule. Last friday the real Central team showed up. Maryville won that game without their 2 best tailbacks. From what I hear Ryan Tallent and Antonio Byner are ready to go next friday.