Rebels vs. Vikings

THSVikings2004

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the safety issue is an indication of their punter's ability to burry somebody deep.  THS has had, I think, about 5 this year. You gotta agree that that is a pretty useful tool to have in your arsenal.

825447418[/snapback]

I really think that Jenkins has only punted a few more times than that the whole season.

Vikes, no wonder you guys are havin' a tissy with some of us when we mention the rankings/ratings. I was looking over YOUR web-site and under LINKS, on the Football Page, when you click PREP PERFORMANCE RANKINGS, I can now see why you are getting a little upset. I just can't figure out from that page where THS is ranked.  http://www.btcs.org/ths/football/

825448776[/snapback]

From that page, you didnt figure out where Maryville is ranked either, did you? ;)

after watching singleton, once again i have to say im not worried about losing tallent..... dont underestimate AB ..... everyone is replaceable but that doesnt mean he needs to be replaced....

825448740[/snapback]

Ryan Singleton did a nice job last week and we can win with him in the backfield but.........I like our chances much better with Tallent healthy and in the game. Ryan is just a sophomore and still has much to learn about the Maryville offense. His strong running and ability to catch the ball out of the backfield makes him another weapon for Maryville but, IMO we need Tallent to win it all.

So what makes Maryville so good in your opinion Maryville fans?  Their running game?  Passing game? Defense?

825447705[/snapback]

The answer is E. All of the above and then some other stuff too.

Our fans are off the charts. The stands are always filled and get pretty loud when the Rebels need them. Some have called us complacent at times, but winning by large margins has negative affects as some fans are lulled into a sense of security and have a hard time getting up for games. Luckily this is more endemic to the fans than to the team or staff.

Our passing game is excellent. We have QB who is a finalist for Mr. Football and who has committed to North Carolina. He is extremely accurate and is generally given plenty of time to set his feet and throw. The pass rush is kept on its heels by both our dominant, experienced offensive line and also by our more than potent running attack (which accounts for more yardage than our passing game, I think). Our receiving core is reliable and athletic and has good speed, good hands and the privilege of sharing the field with other equally talented receivers such that no one of them can be keyed on exclusively. Most of our sets allow for multiple passing options.

Our running game is also excellent. We started two sophomore backs in the absence of our two usual starters in the state quarterfinal game. One of those guys racked up over 100 yards that night. This week the starters will be back. Tallent brings a power game, but can also turn the corner. AB is shifty and fast. Both have excellent vision and are running behind a great offensive line. Both can break tackles for extra yardage. Both can catch the ball out of the backfield. And both are aided by the threat of the pass as defensive backs often line up further off the ball in order to prepare to defend the pass.

Our defense is also very good. We suffered the loss of our star middle linebacker for the season earlier this year and have also suffered other injuries to that position. We've rotated some guys around and luckily were fortunate enough to have very talented and experienced backups in reserve. We are good against the run and cover very well. A couple of weaknesses have been exploited regarding our defense this year, but I am confident that will be addressed.

The least tangible asset to our team though is, as someone else said, the program's tradition. These guys have been living to play on this team for years. Now they are here and it's their year to add to the Rebel legacy. They do not want to be the team that didn't bring home the gold ball. Further, they believe they will win at all times. When we trailed to Central last week, there is no doubt in my mind that each and every player on the field and sidelines had complete belief that they would still prevail in that contest. Enough cannot be said for that mentality.

We got censored for the rape analogies...which we should have been censored for. Lets be careful moving on guys. I'm no exception to that. We don't wanna get this thread locked.

The monitor involved is a super nice guy and he could have shut us down. Thanks Hurt!! thumb

I don't wanna hear anyone else say EITHER of our runningbacks are EXPENDABLE. They are "A") injured and "B") kids. They are both very intregal parts of the offense and yes, we are very lucky to have 2 VERY good backups. Ok, off my soap box now ;)

Edited by dmoyers1