Fulton (11-2) at Smith County (12-1)

oldsc7

Your very welcome, kwalker! As for the wet field, we have had several days of rain down here this week.  ;) Footing wasn't a problem though and it definately didn't hamper any of Fultons speed.

I mentioned the difference in the game was the size and athleticism at wr/db. I still think that is the difference in these two teams. I mean sometimes we had you covered very well and still your athleticism allowed the guy to make the play. Other times we couldn't get you covered sufficiently. Had you beat a couple of times in the secondary and your ability allowed you to recover. The first interception was an example of that. Your front seven and eight can play, but ours was just as effective. I never said your defense wasn't any good. We've seen defenses comparable all year long everywhere except at db.

msmoker, I think the "close to the vest" style is the way to play your team. Greenbrier will do the same kind of thing. The difference again might be on the outside.

825454834[/snapback]

Your right...teams are smart to play us conservative. I also saw a lot of opportunity for you guys to open up your offense early in the second half that would have been beneficial for your squad…not just throwing the ball deep for the sake of stretching our defense. We saw ultra-conservative from Macon which were much more one dimensional last year than you guys could ever dream to be. The comment really wasnt a dig...I just felt like I was watching UT under Johnny in the late 80s…esp. with the quick kick on third. (Cant really say I blame you for it either…just showed REPSPECT for our defense). Seems like that style worked for you guys and got you to the Semis. Once again, great game by Smith, they have every reason to be proud.

Now, as for those that say we were not much more than a few big plays and want to criticize our coaches:

First, let me refer back to our Record (37-4 the last 3 years) with 3 state championship appearances. That is especially impressive when you consider most of those wins have came against teams that play the best brand of ball in the state. No doubt East Tn plays the best brand of ball, BAR NONE!!! That should be enough said but let me expound…

Second, while we are on coaching, I think the defense proved to be well-coached and did a fine job holding Smith down all night. Other than a busted play, we matched the Owls defense..BLOW FOR BLOW!!!

Lastly, the sign of Great coaching is the ability to make adjustments, not just coming out with a decent game plan. Coatney and his staff made the adjustments and opened up the offense and exposed your defense’s weaknesses. We have great coaches because we utilize ALL OF OUR WEAPONS! And those WEAPONS have to be coached on such things as route running, timing, concentration, reading defenses and making passing reads…these are the things that your average fan doesn’t understand. Why play into the defenses hands…b/c they were strong with the run, we went to the outside and showed Smith what a multi- dimensional attack was all about. Fulton won the game because we withstood the early adrenaline induced play of Smith and utilized all of our weapons and athletes to expose your defense. Our coaches do just what the Smith coaches do…We call plays and scheme according to the personnel that we put on the field. Last night, the combination of great playmakers and great coaching lead to a GREAT VICTORY!!!

GREAT WIN FALCONS…Good LUCK next week in the ‘BORO!!!

Edited by msmoker21

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SC congratulations on a great year. I've really enjoyed watching ya'll this year. Fulton job well done. You are classier than what I heard or thought. I guess that goes to show you can't believe everything you hear. Fulton had the better team but still don't believe much better than us, except in a few positions. The only thing I saw from the coaches I didn't like was going for 2pts. in the 4th qtr when you was beating us by 20 and had been kicking extra points all game. But hey we lost ya'll won good job. No need to be whining now. At least we can say we lost in the 4th round to the state champions.(hopefully). As for our fans behind ya'll on the bank. Just over look them. They come to party and watch the game, but don't pay. So what do you expect from them. As for the sign I didn't have a problem with it. Except for the names on it. There was no need to single them two out like that. Their whole family was there and saw it. Out of respect for #33 they didn't tell him about it. It really changed my view on your team when the two players from Fulton was the first people over and helped #33 up after the game. Those guys definatly have class. Queenie I really like your posts you put up. You have always been a supporter for everyone. I really look up to you. (literaly also). Can't wait till next season so I can catch ya in the concession stand and chat with ye. But I didn't mean to be this long. Finally as I started off great job owls players coaches and fans. Same thing goes to Fulton. Now go get you another ring. ;)

steelcityroller....You have been saying to beat the Owls...you have to pass the ball.  It doesn't hurt when a Fulton team comes to play with two of the best receivers in TN.....Any classification!!!  Best of luck luck next week Falcons!!!  Your skill position players are for real!!!

Winningest group of Smith County Seniors.....I am so proud of all of you Senior Owls!!!  It's been a privelage for me to get to watch you play for four years!!!  You guys define what the words Team, Heart & Determination are all about!!! 

Underclassmen Owls.....It's your turn now!!!  Make these Seniors proud of you the next couple of years!!!

HOW BOUT THEM OWLS!!!

825454420[/snapback]

All I was saying was that you cannot run the ball on the Owls. Livingston just kept running the ball for hardly any yards. You would figure after two games that they realized they wouldn't be able to run the ball. It took Portland 7 quarters to realize that you can't run the ball and they ended up with like 100 yards passing in the 4th quarter but by then it was too late. Fulton came out and realized after the 1st quarter that they couldn't run the ball and just started airing it out and ended up with 274 yards passing.

Goodness, Queenbee . . . . . not that it matters, but my opinion of you just did a 180! For someone to talk so much trash before a game - you just showed what class is all about! Thank you for that! Congratulations to your program!

GO FALCONS!

825454908[/snapback]

Ahhhhhhhhhhh...Kwalker...thanks...Course I'm gonna talk trash before a game...after too more than likely...but ya'll deserved it last night...acted like ya deserved it...and I have no problem whatsoever with that...

Our kids deserve the best from everyone...because they give the best to everyone... I've always said the Class of 1989 was the best class we ever graduated from Smith County High School...might have to rethink that...cause the kids in the Class of 2005 are absolutely fantastic...

Ya'll shared your best with us...and we shared ours with you...high school sports can't get much better than that...

Good Luck next week...go out and do the same thing that ya'll did last night...and get yourselves another ring...

I had heard that the falcon players had been known to taunt fans after the game and was looking for it. I saw 2 players come off the sideline excited and thought "here it comes." Those 2 players stopped at Matt Dyer and picked him up and congratulated him. I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice it. It was a great show of class and really impressed me. I was impressed by all the fulton people. The sign was a bit tacky, but I understand that players and coaches have nothing to do with that. Great game fulton and good luck next week.

Congratulations to the Falcon family, I raz you folk about 3-A competition on occasion but to get to the Boro 3 years in a row is a great feat for ANY classification. It really would be great to see the Fulton program choose to go ahead and move to 4-A, as they dont really have anything to prove in the 3-A division anymore. It would REALLY be great to renew the rivalry between the Cats and Falcons. Truthfully I believe Fulton could play with all the teams in 4-A.

Good Luck To the falcons!

Fulton's playmakers are REAL msmoker!! I didn't anticipate the Falcon QB being on point all night long either. He played a great football game. He put the ball where it needed to be. Good Luck Next Week Falcons!!! I don't see why anyone's talking about running up the score....Your coaches knew you couldn't run it successfully on us so they had 1 other option. Good coaching!!

Congratulations to the Falcon family, I raz you folk about 3-A competition on occasion but to get to the Boro 3 years in a row is a great feat for ANY classification. It really would be great to see the Fulton program choose to go ahead and move to 4-A, as they dont really have anything to prove in the 3-A division anymore. It would REALLY be great to renew the rivalry between the Cats and Falcons. Truthfully I believe Fulton could play with all the teams in 4-A.

Good Luck To the falcons!

825455017[/snapback]

You and me both with the athletes they have I think they could compete very well at the 4A level. Go get em falcons.