Sevier Co. @ Ooltewah

thorough97

Well, I am not a former Ooltewah player or coach, but I just don't agree with all this history stuff that keeps coming up on these posts. Sounds to me like sour grapes from someone who just doesn't like a program or maybe has not had recent success themselves. Give the kids credit for what they do this year. The makeup of this team is far different from last year's team. That won't win it either.

The truth is the play will speak for itself on the field; last year's teams and this year's teams have nothing to with each other. A history of football championships will not win a single game this year, and certainly won't help a team in the playoffs. All it is--bragging on the past and no relationship to the present.

I have followed 2-5A football the last several years, and it appears to me that Ooltewah has been one of the better teams in the region. Sorry you feel like you have to make personal attacks instead of just talking about the competitiveness of the game.

Let the kids play the games. Good luck to Sevier and Ooltewah.

Just having some fun with some facts. I watched Antioch, Hendersonville and Gallatin this year and the Owls are a better looking team than any of those programs. I will let you know what Hunter's Lane looks like after fri.

I've been to a few games/events at the Owls Nest and have always enjoyed the atmosphere.

Just keeping things alive on the board by stating facts. I knew the Owl faithful would come a screching. :D

If they get past Farragut or WB, I will pull for the Owls but they have some tuff Middle TN teams to go thru. I think if they play their best they could make to the Championship game.

Edited by rigger101

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope Monroe was not there. His era at Cleveland was pre Maryville domination. He retired in 1996, when his 56 game winning streak was broken with a loss to Anderson County in the playoffs. He won state championships in 93,94,95.All those teams were undefeated and his 96 team was undefeated until the anderson county loss. The last time one of his teams played Maryville, when he was at Cleveland, the Blue Raiders won.I think the score was 72-21 in the playoffs. The Stadium at Cleveland is named after him. He is in the National High School Football Coaching hall of fame. I played for him at Cleveland. The proof of his ability is in the stats Don't think youll find much better coach in Tn, so there are no comparisons. Coach Quarles is really great as well he just hasn't been doing it as long. I think he came to Maryville in 2000.Coach Monroe is an offensive genius. Coach Monroe just came out of retirement last year to coach at Ooltewah. He is shaking things up in this region to say the least. Can you tell I enjoyed playing for him?Cleveland has not been the same since he left. That is why I'm an Owl fan now. I love to watch his teams play.

Brewer has a "Gold Ball" from '99 and they were in the Semis in '97. SCHS has nearly the same coaching staff from those seasons HC, OC, DC and 1 other assistant. Monroe won titles with those very talented Cleveland teams in the early to mid nineties before Maryville took over 4-A in Tennessee. Since the emergence of Maryville as a state power in '97 Cleveland has been off the radar screen for the most part and Monroe was there for some of that time.

OK Monroe is a football"GOD" yada yada yada...

I know if you asked most HS coaches in East Tn who do they think is the top HS coach in the area most would say Quarles or the coach at Alcoa and not Bennie Monroe.

As for the entire state Carlton Flatt would also figure into the mix as he has as many titles as all 3 at Brentwood Academy.

I guess poor Sevier County shouldn't even bother to show up.

Edited by 5743

Watson looks like he could be a Carson-Newman quarterback. There are 2 freshman there that are good but with the running skills that he has he might be able to come to Carson-Newman and create havoc at QB. Anyways, I know this will be a great game. Ooltewah has a great defense and an explosive offense as also does Sevier County. Whoever wins this game won't win by more than 1td.

He is actually being recruited by Clemson and Vanderbilt as an athlete and not a quarterback. He is a little short and his arm strength is not college worthy but he is an awesome athlete and that is why he is at quaterback in high school.

hahaha no one is saying Sevier is bad or has a bad coaching staff... Why say stuff like that?

Nothing personal just tired of hearing how Monroe can do no wrong. If SCHS was a team with a young coaching staff I could see how it might make a difference but Brewer has somewhere around 150 wins as a HS head coach and one state title and the Off Co and Def Co have both been at SCHS since the school became competitive in football late 80's early 90's. In the 70's and up to about '88 -'89 SCHS was pretty much a joke. Since that point they have at least been decent say 6 wins and a pretty good (8+ wins) team maybe 5 times or so. Only one time during that span ('91) has there been a sub .500 season.

The Owls may very well win friday night but I'm pretty sure it won't be because they are overmatched in coaching. When they won their state title in '99 they didn't have the most talent but they got everything out of what they had and got a few breaks. The biggest being when Murf. Oakland's QB got suspended for fighting at the end of the 3rd round game and was unable to play in 4th round. If some people think that the SCHS coaches will be intimidated by Monroe's presence on the other sideline then I believe they are fooling themselves. I'm sure they have a lot of respect for his accomplishments but I don't think this will be a deal like Fulmer making unwise coaching decisions in the mid 90's vs Spurrier.

Ok I've said me peace.

Hope we see a good clean game friday night (at least it won't be wet or really cold).

OK, we have heard about the Owls championship coaching staff, explosive offense, exceptional team speed and stout defense but what about the special teams? Ooltewah is undefeated so I would assume that they are no slouch in this area either so what can we expect? Great field goal kicker, punter, return and coverage units?

After reading about all of the other weapons that Ooltewah has I fear next we are going to find out that Ray Guy is your punter, Billy "White Shoes" Johnson is the kick returner and Tom Dempsey is your field goal kicker!!! Come on Owls throw us a bone and give us some glimmer of hope even if you have to lie a little. :thumb:

OK, we have heard about the Owls championship coaching staff, explosive offense, exceptional team speed and stout defense but what about the special teams? Ooltewah is undefeated so I would assume that they are no slouch in this area either so what can we expect? Great field goal kicker, punter, return and coverage units?

After reading about all of the other weapons that Ooltewah has I fear next we are going to find out that Ray Guy is your punter, Billy "White Shoes" Johnson is the kick returner and Tom Dempsey is your field goal kicker!!! Come on Owls throw us a bone and give us some glimmer of hope even if you have to lie a little. :thumb:

Well from the way it sounds, you guys are all that and some more, both teams having been talking themselves up, you can't just call ooltewah players on it, so get over it and stop actin like people are saying you guys are sorry because no one is....but ooltewah has a pretty decent kicker, he's just a freshmen but he has been pretty clutch, he has missed a couple, but he also has the game winner in the waning seconds against cookeville and in the last couple minutes against farragut, he's got a pretty good leg on him, especially for a freshmen....Ooltewah isn't as strong in the punting game from what I have seen, but I haven't seen them enough to know for sure, and kickoffs its either hit or miss, sometimes the kicker booms it and sometimes he doesn't at all. Coverage on kickoffs I'd say is a little above average but nothing you haven't seen this year from anyone.

Go ask them. :thumb: See what they say.Yeah We won our first state championship against Brentwood when he was the coach at Cleveland. So yeah I know Coach Flatts.Ask coach Quarles about Coach Monroe or Coach Rankin they are friends.Go ask your coach at Sevier county. Ask the coach at Riverdale, coach A,they are good friends too. OK that is a good idea. ask a few. Hey and no need to get testy.And coaches don't play the game. Yeah he is a football GOD. hahaha you crack me up. Sorry to upset you. Youll see him friday. Good luck at the game. I am sure you won't need it. :thumb: I was just correcting something you said about Coach Monroe being around when the Cleveland program starting taking a downward turn. He wasn't. It did that the year he left. Hey and for me....go ask some coaches. :D

OK Monroe is a football"GOD" yada yada yada...

I know if you asked most HS coaches in East Tn who do they think is the top HS coach in the area most would say Quarles or the coach at Alcoa and not Bennie Monroe.

As for the entire state Carlton Flatt would also figure into the mix as he has as many titles as all 3 at Brentwood Academy.

I guess poor Sevier County shouldn't even bother to show up.

Go ask them. :thumb: See what they say.Yeah We won our first state championship against Brentwood when he was the coach at Cleveland. So yeah I know Coach Flatts.Ask coach Quarles about Coach Monroe or Coach Rankin they are friends.Go ask your coach at Sevier county. Ask the coach at Riverdale, coach A,they are good friends too. OK that is a good idea. ask a few. Hey and no need to get testy.And coaches don't play the game. Yeah he is a football GOD. hahaha you crack me up. Sorry to upset you. Youll see him friday. Good luck at the game. I am sure you won't need it. :thumb: I was just correcting something you said about Coach Monroe being around when the Cleveland program starting taking a downward turn. He wasn't. It did that the year he left. Hey and for me....go ask some coaches. :D

I know this will be the best game of the week! From what I have been seeing on here WE should just stay home. I hear your quarterback is the @#$%. He can do it all. I just hope we can stay on the field with you guys. Hey and I wasn't putting down your coach. Just giving you a few facts about ours. Real facts you can look up. I am SURE no one will be intimidated by COACH MONROE I was not suggesting that. This team was supposed to finish 3rd or 4th in the region this year and so far has not lost a game. They are very very young. I don't think our coach is a GOD. Just and extremely good coach. His staff is really good as well.

Just having some fun with some facts. I watched Antioch, Hendersonville and Gallatin this year and the Owls are a better looking team than any of those programs. I will let you know what Hunter's Lane looks like after fri.

I've been to a few games/events at the Owls Nest and have always enjoyed the atmosphere.

Just keeping things alive on the board by stating facts. I knew the Owl faithful would come a screching. :lol:

If they get past Farragut or WB, I will pull for the Owls but they have some tuff Middle TN teams to go thru. I think if they play their best they could make to the Championship game.

I do agree that there will be some tough Middle TN teams to deal with, particularly Riverdale. They are almost scary, because they have been lying fairly low after the early season loss to McCallie. If it wasn't for that, everyone would have been talking Riverdale.

Gotcha on the keeping things alive. I missed it first go round. :)

OK, we have heard about the Owls championship coaching staff, explosive offense, exceptional team speed and stout defense

Yes, Yes, Yes, and half. The Owls passing defense has shown no signs of stopping anyone this year from lambasting us. A good QB comes along and we're shot.

Farragut had a good QB. We almost got beat.

From everything I've heard from Sevier Co. and people who've played Sevier County, my diagnosis is that the QB will own Ooltewah if they don't get some monstrous coaching this week.

Special teams, as you ask, is alright. Punter usually kicks it about 35 yards, maybe a little more, missed 5 Extra Points during the year, kicks off fine. Has made clutch 30-35 yard field goals this year. Punt Return has returned two scores, against 1-9 and 2-8 teams, but if you give some room, you'll get burned. Kick return has the Owls start position usually past the 25 to the 30. WB had us pinned with good punts inside our 15, and we never could get out the entire second quarter of that game.